Trying to set up a connection between DC<->PC

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Trying to set up a connection between DC<->PC

Post by Caboose »

Hi, I'm trying to set up my DC so that it uses my broad band connection and I dont need to use a free ISP(can't find any for my area), aswell as keep my phone line available (I only have 1 line). I'm using this tutorial to help me set it up. The problem is, I have Windows XP and the guide explains how to do this in win 98. I can't find "Dial-Up Server" (a program that lets me make a dial-up server) and I can't fin hte Communications folder to try and install it if it isn't there. Here is a quote that will probably help:
The first thing you should do is make sure Windows Dial-Up Server is installed. To do this go to the control panel and select Add/Remove Programs. Click the Windows Setup tab and open up 'Communications'. Find 'Dial-Up Server' and check the box next to it if it's not already
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Now make a shortcut on the desktop to the Dial-Up Server. Right-click on the desktop, select new, shortcut. In the dialog box enter C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE RNASERV.DLL,CallerAccess. This will give you quick access to the Dial-Up Server

^^^^^^^
I can't do that, it says that the directory "rundll32" doesnt exist (which is true) so I can't go on to make the shortcut. Help would be grealy appreciated (I'm SOOOOOOO Close to playing PSO online :twisted: )
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

http://www.consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/

I have done this myself on 2 98 machines, so I can answer a lot of your questions. I hear it's a bit harder in xp, but I haven't tried. I'll be trying this myself in xp if I have some time this week.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

Thanks for that guide, I'm gonna try It. you posted just in time becuase I was about ready to pay for a dial-up ISP in my area since I couldnt find any free ones. Let me know how it goes for you, I'm gonna try this as soon at I can. :mrgreen:
links1981
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by links1981 »

OMG!,

I was JUST on the phone with my ISP asking this same thing!
(Thay said "We dont know")

im useing winXP-Pro/ and im on Cable high speed internet....

so im guessing id need to buy a 56K modem for my computer...(lol) to connect the DC to PC....

PLEASE SOME1 figure this out for us all!!!!
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

I just tried it... It didn't work for me. I didnt hear mt modem making any noise either, but since were trying to get this running on a homebrew server it will probably be a lot harder. Has anyone had any luck with this?
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Try to get it to work on planetweb browser first. Do you have it plugged in the right modem port? You may need to do the line jack trick, plug a phone cable from your phone port on the PC modem into the wall. Rip it out after 2 seconds of dialing. You also need NAT software, and I think winroute is nonexistant these days.
Caboose
Lieutenant; Jeeba SS

Post by Caboose »

I got winroute. There are so many settings you need to play around with. i guess I will try the web browser first.
links1981
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by links1981 »

Caboose wrote:I got winroute. There are so many settings you need to play around with. i guess I will try the web browser first.

O GOD! i hope this works!

i want to get a few "Saved Games" onto my VMU.....But i have no dial-up here :(
links1981
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by links1981 »

I just thought of something........

IF Some1 here can pull this off ........

you should make a guide on GameFaq on the "HOW TO" ( http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/dreamca ... 16412.html )
links1981
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by links1981 »

*********LOOK WHAT I FOUND*********

http://consolevision.com/members/mterlouw/