mp3 dvd

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

mp3 dvd

Post by SuperMegatron »

my dvd player supports mp3s on cds but it gives me a bad disc error when I burn all of them on a dvd. It burns them as a dvd data disc is there away to make it burn them as a audio disc
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Have you tried with Toast just buring it as an audio disc? Since one make DVD discs that are PC only or HFS+ only, hybrid, etc, can't see why you can't just make an "audio DVD".
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

You could just make them all dvd audio tracks.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

None of my DVD players will read MP3s off a DVD either. They seem to assume that any DVD must be a video DVD, can't find the required video files, and die.

You have two possible alternatives:

1 - DVD Audio. Needs a DVD Audio player, and I don't think there's any authoring software out there that can actually create them.

2 - DVD Video, but with no video track. I think a few DVD authoring programs will do that for you, but I've never actually seen one.
DeAthWaGer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeAthWaGer »

NO NO NO NO NO!

jtnewman: that won't work in a regular DVD player, I'm not even sure toast will let you make it, and even if it would play in a DVDrom.

clessy: that WOULD work, but it would require a ton of effort and you would re-encode the audio and all that other crap. You'd also end up with a 6 hour DVD with no video. WAY too much effort and crap results.

Blackaura: 1. NO. first off DVD audio does NOT REQUIRE A DVD AUDIO PLAYER. THE ONLY FORMAT OUT THERE THAT REQUIRES A SEPARATE PLAYER IS SUPER AUDIO CD!, second off DVD audio discs aren't long.
2. see above

You're missing the point. He wants MP3 files on a DVD. Simple DVD-rom format with MP3 files. Simple format, simple burning process.
The only unit that will work in is a PC with a DVD-rom drive, that's it.

THERE ARE NO DVD PLAYERS ON THE MARKET AS OF YET THAT WILL READ ANY FORMAT DVD DISC WITH MP3S ON IT! When DVD players read a DVD, it automatically tries to play it as a DVD video disc.

There are a few solutions:
1. use your PC instead. If you have a home theater you'll need a transmitter kit and optional component that lets you browse the files on your PC from another room (you can stack this onto your receiver)
2. buy a hard-drive based mp3 player (i personally like the i-River series)
3. wait for a "MP3 DVD player". These will probably first arrive as portables that look exactly like MP3 CD players, but will also play DVD-Rs full of MP3s. EVENTUALLY regular DVD players will be able to "view" files off of DVDs like a CD depending upon the formatting of the disc, but it's a while off for it to become mainstream.
Wheeling Bitch Circus - Keepin' it METAL since 1998:

http://www.myspace.com/wheelingbitchcircus
revengeofLaEternal
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by revengeofLaEternal »

I don't know what DVD players y'all use, but I have no problem using mine to read files off of a DVD-R burned with files in standard ISO format. I've had my player for more than a year, and got it from Target for $100, which at the time, was a good deal for small DVD players. It's a slim Koss DVD player (came in 4 or 5 colors).

Anyway, I can have mp3s and mpgs burned in their own folders on one DVD-R and navigate to the files in each and push play. So, maybe it's your burning process that needs fixing. Otherwise, I would suggest investigating other options (either the ones DeAthWaGer stated or something else you can figure out for yourself, like using a modded Xbox to run Xbox Media Player).
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

BlackAura wrote:None of my DVD players will read MP3s off a DVD either. They seem to assume that any DVD must be a video DVD, can't find the required video files, and die.

You have two possible alternatives:

1 - DVD Audio. Needs a DVD Audio player, and I don't think there's any authoring software out there that can actually create them.
dvd audio will read in a lot of dvd players.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
DeAthWaGer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeAthWaGer »

Random troll, i just wrote that. Actually, DVD audio will read in ALL dvd players. I still wanna pick a couple up because I'm interested (particularly STP: Core)

revengeofLaEternal, what model Koss is it? I'll go look at dvdhelp.com and see if any current models have that feature as well...

It's so weird that a feature like that goes unpublished in the magazines I read (like sound and vision) and on the websites I go to. It figures, though, because it seems like if it's not a feature that's available on a high-end model I'm not going to know about it. I didn't know that any DVD players played DiVx files (not the old circuit city divx, mind you) until I walked into a Best Buy and saw a $60 player that did just a few months ago. I can't find an american DVD player anymore with mic inputs for karaoke (well, a cheap one like Apex used to have).

I guess it's also not a feature that's going to be advertized on the box. Many DVD players in the US for a while didn't even advertize that they played VCDs or SVCDs on the box (and sometimes not even in the manual).
So yeah, that's awesome news, I've seriously gone through half a dozen players in the past few years (exchanging, returns, only one actually broke), and I've never seen one that does that. Same with almost all of my buddies. I'm DEFINATELY looking into that. I hope other companies follow suit and do the same!

Xbox media player, good suggestion! You could also use a PS2 but it's a bunch of trouble. I'm not sure if Pro Action Replay EVO edition plays MP3 DVDs, but you can use CDRs full of Divx or MP3 on an UNMODDED PS2 with it (the Pgen genesis emulator is a nice bonus!

BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

1. NO. first off DVD audio does NOT REQUIRE A DVD AUDIO PLAYER. THE ONLY FORMAT OUT THERE THAT REQUIRES A SEPARATE PLAYER IS SUPER AUDIO CD!, second off DVD audio discs aren't long.
Oh yes it does.

Most DVD audio discs are actually DVD video discs as well. Stick one in a PC. You'll see two directories - AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS. The AUDIO_TS directory contains the audio data, in DVD Audio format. DVD Audio format is stored in either uncompressed linear PCM, or is losslessly compressed using MLP (Meridian Lossless Packing). It can do 16-bit, 20-bit, and 24-bit, at bitrates between 44.1KHz and 192KHz, and can do stereo or surround sound (but surround sound is limited to 96KHz). DVD Video players can not decode MLP, and the can only play 16-bit stereo / surround sound at 48KHz, so they can't play most of the formats a DVD Audio disc might be encoded in. In addition, the DVD Audio data is encrypted. The encryption used is much stronger than DVD Video's CSS encryption, and DVD Video players can not (and have never been able to) decode it. To play this portion of the disc, you need a dedicated DVD audio player.

The VIDEO_TS directory on most DVD Audio discs contains the same content in DVD Video format. That is, it contains a set of audio tracks encoded using AC3, and optionally DTS encoding. This can be played on a regular DVD Video player. However, it is not as high quality as the proper DVD Audio track, because of the limitations put on the audio portion of a video DVD. It sounds no better than a CD, and has absolutely no advantages over a CD, except that it may have surround sound.

In fact, if you stick a DVD Audio disc in a DVD Video player, you'll probably notice that it actually has DVD Video style menus, it may have music videos, and other extras. All of these are DVD Video features, not DVD Audio features.

It's the same general idea as a dual format SACD. You can make an SACD so that it's playable on both an SACD player and a normal CD player. The principle is the same as a dual-layer DVD - you store the SACD audio in the second layer (and SACD is in fact a DVD, at least physically), and normal CD audio on the first layer as a CD. A CD drive (or even a DVD drive, probably) will only see the CD Audio portion, and will play that. An SACD player will see the SACD portion, and play that instead.

That doesn't mean that your old CD player can play SACDs. It means that SACDs can be made to work on normal CD players by appearing to be a normal CD. Similarly, it does not mean that any old DVD Video player can play DVD Audio discs. It means that the DVD Audio disc has been constructed so that a DVD Video player will see it as a DVD Video disc, and play the DVD Video portion of that disc.

It depends on the authoring program. Most commercial DVD Audio authoring programs will automatically generate an equivalent DVD Video version of a DVD Audio project. Not all of them will, and they are not required to by the specification. However, putting a DVD Video section on the disc is generally considered to be a good idea, and often a lot of effort is put into that area of the disc. But a DVD Audio disc without the DVD Video portion will not work on a DVD Video player. It's as simple as that. No ammount of wishing it otherwise will change the facts.

As far as I know, there are no readily available programs that are able to build DVD Audio discs. They're all still commercial, very expensive, and difficult to obtain. However, it is possible to build something a lot like the DVD Video portion of a DVD Audio disc, and burn that to a DVD.

As you said, most available DVD players will not read MP3s off a DVD. That means that converting them to DVD Video format is the only way to get it to work. There is no alternative right now. You can't generate a DVD Audio disc out of it (no software) and you can't simply burn the MP3s to a DVD (won't work).

The fact that he wants to be able to just burn the MP3s to a DVD and have it work isn't really relevant here. It can not be done, because most DVD players just won't read it. So I am trying to suggest an alternative - the only alternative that I am aware of that will work with only a standard DVD player. You can use a PC, you can go out and buy a DVD player that does read MP3s off a DVD, you can use a modded PS2 or an Xbox with XBMC, but unless you have one already that's going to be quite difficult.

Edit: Just found two programs that will do what I just described.

http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/
http://www.blazevideo.com/dvd-creator/download.htm

Both shareware. Demo versions available. Basically, they take a load of audio files (MP3s, CDs, whatever) and produce a DVD Video disc of them, with menus and all that stuff. It should work in any stanadrd DVD Video player, and this is almost the same thing as the DVD Video portion of a DVD Audio disc.
DeAthWaGer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeAthWaGer »

I said it's not REQUIRED.

re?quire ( P ) Pronunciation Key (r-kwr)
tr.v. re?quired, re?quir?ing, re?quires
To have as a requisite; need: Most plants require sunlight.
To call for as obligatory or appropriate; demand. See Synonyms at demand.
To impose an obligation on; compel: Students are required to attend classes.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[Middle English requiren, from Old French requerre, from Vulgar Latin *requaerere, alteration (influenced by quaerere, to seek), of Latin requrere re-, re- + quaerere, to seek.]

"The fact that he wants to be able to just burn the MP3s to a DVD and have it work isn't really relevant here."

um, really? That's what he wanted. I'm assuming he wants something simple, not a 50 step process.

So let me get this straight, you're suggesting him convert his CDs to DVD-Audio?

The fact that HE'S USING MP3S IN THE FIRST PLACE means that they're probably going to be 44.1 khz 128-192 kbs stereo, so why the HELL would he be interested in converting the files to DVD audio?!?!?! THIS IS NOT ABOUT RECORDING AND AUTHORING NEW AUDIO.

Unless anyone here is planning on remastering a studio recording from the original recordings, or is engineering and recording their own score for a movie, I don't think there's much use for DVD-audio in this topic.

BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I said it's not REQUIRED.
And you would still be wrong on both counts. You can't actually play a DVD Audio disc on a DVD Video player, but you can play the DVD Video portion (present on most, but not all, DVD Audio discs). Similarly, you can't actually play a SACD on a normal CD player, but you can play the CD portion (present on most, but not all, SACDs).

So, strictly speaking, neither SACD nor DVD Audio require a new player, but neither is fully functional without one (SACD becomes a normal CD, and DVD Audio becomes DVD Video).
um, really? That's what he wanted. I'm assuming he wants something simple, not a 50 step process.

So let me get this straight, you're suggesting him convert his CDs to DVD-Audio?

The fact that HE'S USING MP3S IN THE FIRST PLACE means that they're probably going to be 44.1 khz 128-192 kbs stereo, so why the HELL would he be interested in converting the files to DVD audio?!?!?! THIS IS NOT ABOUT RECORDING AND AUTHORING NEW AUDIO.
Duh. Of course it's going to sound crappier. Unfortunately, THERE IS NO OTHER WAY! His DVD player will not play MP3s from a DVD. If he wants to be able to play music off a DVD on a DVD Video player, then he has to convert it to a format the DVD player will be able to play. There is nothing anyone can do to change that.

I wouldn't want to transcode stuff at all, if I could possibly avoid it. Lossy audio sounds bad enough as it is, and transcoding from one lossy format to another is even worse. Unfortunately, in this situation, I don't see any alternative. And, in fact, most people don't care, and wouldn't notice anyway.

You can burn audio on a DVD in PCM format. You only get around 6 hours on a DVD, so it's not really worth it (use a CD-R instead), but it's a possibility.

So far, here's what's been suggested:
  • Transcode to a format the DVD player can read
  • Get a new DVD player that can play MP3s off a DVD
  • Get a modded PS2 or Xbox, and use that instead
  • Drag a PC to the audio equipment, hook it up, and use it as a stereo
The only one of those that will work with the specified hardware (a standard DVD player that doesn't play MP3s off a DVD) is the first one. If you can think of any alternatives that will work on said hardware, please suggest them.
DeAthWaGer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeAthWaGer »

Marshall Macluhan said it best, "we shape our tools, and they in turn shape us."

abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Okay, going back to the original question, according to the Toast help files:

An MP3 disc is a CD or DVD that contains audio files in the MP3 file format and is playable by MP3 disc players, computers, and some DVD players. You should only use MP3 files to build an MP3 disc.

So perhaps his DVD player won't play mp3 files off a DVD disc.

I'm not sure if Toast can do what BA described (taking audio data and really making it into a video_ts folder, burn, play, etc).
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I'm not sure if Toast can do what BA described (taking audio data and really making it into a video_ts folder, burn, play, etc).
I'm pretty sure that iDVD will do it.
revengeofLaEternal
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by revengeofLaEternal »

Ok... I did a quick online search for some pages that might have some info on the player I have. Well, here's what I found:

The info page for this player on videohelp.com (includes no region and no macrovision hack):
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers.php ... &#comments

A site you can buy a particular model of the player:
http://www.audiobuys.net/Koss/479.htm

Note that this player comes in different model numbers depending on the color you find (DVP-2161, DVP-2162, DVP-2163, or DVP-2164).