Comcast High Speed Cable Internet

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Comcast High Speed Cable Internet

Post by Nick »

The point has gotten that I can't stand this fucking DSL shit from Earthlink. It just plain sucks ass. Unfortunately, we don't have cable lines hooked into our house (satelite), so here I am with a few questions.

Firstly (and most importantly), do you like Comcast as an ISP? Are they pretty fast? Average KBPS download speed?

Secondly, customer service. Does their service black out randomly etc? Are the people good at speaking English? Are they helpful?

Thirdly, speed of set-up. How fast did it take you to get/set-up your stuff? Fast/easy?

I know there are websites about this stuff, but they said Earthlink was good...and yeah, that turned out well. Comcast is the only cable ISP in town (Philadelphia), so I don't really have much of a choice. If they're relatively fast, I'm going with them.
Very sexy hero, omg
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Re: Comcast High Speed Cable Internet

Post by Roofus »

einbebop44 wrote:Firstly (and most importantly), do you like Comcast as an ISP? Are they pretty fast? Average KBPS download speed?
The download speed is pretty much what they advertise. Not always, but pretty consistent. The upload speed leaves something to be desired, butr again, it's exactly what they say it is.
einbebop44 wrote:Secondly, customer service. Does their service black out randomly etc? Are the people good at speaking English? Are they helpful?
My cable internet's only gone out two (or three, don't remember exactly) times but never for very long (15-45 minutes) and tech support was right on it.
einbebop44 wrote:Thirdly, speed of set-up. How fast did it take you to get/set-up your stuff? Fast/easy?
Setup was a bit of a pain but that was more my fault because I didn't follow their instructions. :P I called their tech support and again, they were right on it and I was up in like 10 minutes.
Midgey34
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Midgey34 »

1. The speed is nice but for me it's sometimes spoltchy (if that makes any sense). I normally download from HTTP site anywhere between 60Kbps and 150 kbps; occasionally I've peaked at 500kbps.

2. Customer Service is fairly decent, however, I wouldn't know because by the time I get around to bitching, enough time has elasped where the problem is fixed.
On cable service:Well my cable goes down randomly for like 5 minutes and then pops back up and at other times it just acts really slow (normally its consistantly good). I've only had the cable go down a few times for extended periods that usually lasted under a day. One time the cable was out for a week but thats because the construction workers cut the cable.

3. Mine was a bitch to have setup. Honestly it wasn't hard but my mother insisted on having someone install it for us. The "professional" showed up 3 hours late and then hooked everything up. When he left, the cable wasn't up and he told us to call him if it wasn't up in two hours. Well we called him and he didn't pick up for 3 days. Finally we got his girlfriend and she said he was on vacation. We called comcast and his ass was fired.

Basically setup is fine, just don't get a dumbass to do it like we did.
Remember, the quickest way to a girl's bed is through her parents. Have sex with them and you're in.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

If you get cable internet replace that big wire with a normal one I dont know why but my speed improved when I did that.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

I have Comcast and it's fine. The downstream in my area (I believe Philly, too) has been upgraded already to 4mbps downstream and 384kbps upstream. So about 450 KB/s for downloads and about 40 KB/s uploads (your cap will be 512 KB/s downloads and 48 KB/s upload, it's just unlikely you'll hit it).
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

So about 425 KB/s for downloads
:o
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

Alright, sounds sweet. Thanks guys.

I guess I'll switch within the next few days, 'cause Earthlink will be billing on the 20th.
Very sexy hero, omg
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

ComCast varies based on the area, from what I've talked to other people about it. I think http://www.dslreport.com has reviews on them, you might try reading the reviews of ComCast in your state.

In Michigan, they were... OK. There were downages a number of times that were longer than they should have been, but speed was acceptable. Customer service wasn't great, but not terrible. They had a hard act to follow though - Road Runner in the Detroit area is still the best ISP I've ever had.
How to be a Conservative:
You have to believe everything that has ever gone wrong in the history of your country was due to Liberals.
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

Please change that link. The proper url is http://www.dslreports.com. The one you link to is some crappy clone that only has ads in every link.