NesterDC SE Release Delayed (beware p.8 for 56k'ers)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
cagmere
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by cagmere »

So is there a chance we'll see the release before this upcoming holiday season? :D
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

I am sure it will be out at least by summer if not, its cool but see the problem with that is, is the new zelda for GC is coming out in august (i reserved a copy and that is what they told me} and if it does, I won't play Nester DC SE for a while cuz I will be too busy having a orgasm over zelda.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

Yo, man! What's up? REAL nice things I'm hearing about your version of Nester! But, I'm really quite curious...Just how different is the interface going to be? I'm getting REALLY excited. Will it have background music and junk? I don't really care, but it would be really neat.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

Awsome! It's gonna look fucking awsome!
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

scherzo wrote:I was thinking of having an optional ROM selector that uses the graphics rather text, yes.

Someone always seems to ask for the single game disc feature. It's easy to do so of course I will.

awesome
DeAthWaGer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeAthWaGer »

I'm psyched!!!
Wheeling Bitch Circus - Keepin' it METAL since 1998:

http://www.myspace.com/wheelingbitchcircus
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

i hope theres no background music.. it just gets annoying after a while.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

um not really, i don't think you'd be sitting there long enough for it to be annoying unless it is horrible music.
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

well what about an option to have background music for the people who want it and the people who dont want it no music.. i hate how dreamsnes forces you to put an mp3 file in there.

just because you like music in in the emulators you play doesnt mean everyone else does.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Again, adding an option to enabled/disable the emu music is an easy fix so it'll happen.
Dutchdude
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by Dutchdude »

Hehe, yeah it's really annoying when the volume of the menu music is 10 times louder than the sound of the games. :D
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

i have an idea.. you know how in megaman collection for the cube you have a button for rapid fire and you have another button for normal fire.

now how bout a way to configure the controller to have the shoot button be 2 different buttons but have 1 rapid fire and one non rapid fire. what i mean is say X button is normal fire.. how bout making X button rapid fire but also make A button do the same action only non rapid fire.. is that in any way possible?

i really enjoy playing the megaman games like this... and it would be cool to be able to play them on the dreamcast like this as well.. im sure other nes games could benefit from this control scheme. what im saying is ... to have the OPTION of doing it this way.. the people who want it like this could and the people who dont can pick whatever control scheme they want..

ALso.. again back to the right side of the screen being screwed up in some games like little nemo.. you said you would do a way to configure the screen.. on nesterdc 7.1 you can move the screen over so i dont see that awful graphical glitching on the far right of the screen HOWEVER.. then its got a black border on the left side cuz i moved it..

how bout a RESIZING option.. so i can move the screen then maybe strech it a little so it would take up the whole screen but then it wouldnt glitch on the right side of the screen on certain games like little nemo.

I recently purchased this game on a REAL NES and i poped it in and it does the same exact thing the emu was doing.. i dont know whats going on.. i figured the game was defective but i didnt feel like taking it back for my 3 bucks back.

I wanted to say that this emu will be great and we APPRICIATE YOUR HARD WORK AND DEDICATION TO THE DREAMCAST SCENE.. you are the reason there is a dreamcast scene

ONE MORE THING >> and i hope im not being annoying.. but the original NES has MONO sound which is very annoying to listen to games comming out of 1 speaker.. i didnt really notice if the current nesterdc is in sterio or not.. but if not it would be cool to have the music comming out from both speakers.. i know it may not be true sterio.. but maybe you could have the same music comming from both speakers ... MONO is just terrible.. whenever i hook up my genesis its mono sound the thing wasnt sterio *at least not the first models*
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

impact135 wrote:ONE MORE THING >> and i hope im not being annoying.. but the original NES has MONO sound which is very annoying to listen to games comming out of 1 speaker.. i didnt really notice if the current nesterdc is in sterio or not.. but if not it would be cool to have the music comming out from both speakers.. i know it may not be true sterio.. but maybe you could have the same music comming from both speakers ... MONO is just terrible.. whenever i hook up my genesis its mono sound the thing wasnt sterio *at least not the first models*
The emulator, JNES supports simulated stereo which takes each sound channel and separates them so that each speaker gets it's own instrument. It'll sound cool with 2 speakers, but with my surround sound system...it is TOTALLY FREAKIN' AWSOME! Sure some people in here would prefer classic mono, but would this be another easy fix? I don't really care either way, because it's cool enough that we're getting an update, but IF this option was ever available, I'd piss my pants in happiness, lmao. Anyways...thanks again!

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

impact135 wrote:whenever i hook up my genesis its mono sound the thing wasnt sterio *at least not the first models*
Actually, it should be your TV's responsibility to output mono audio to both speakers, shouldn't it? Also, all Genesis models were capable of true stereo output, even model 1. Model 1 just didn't have both channels on the back A/V connector. But you know the headphone jack on the front? Stereo. You can route sound from that to your TV.

Anyway, I agree with jtnewman. He could release it with just the emulation tweaks and a new menu, and nothing else, and I would be perfectly happy with it forever.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

impact135 wrote:i have an idea.. you know how in megaman collection for the cube you have a button for rapid fire and you have another button for normal fire.

now how bout a way to configure the controller to have the shoot button be 2 different buttons but have 1 rapid fire and one non rapid fire. what i mean is say X button is normal fire.. how bout making X button rapid fire but also make A button do the same action only non rapid fire.. is that in any way possible?

i really enjoy playing the megaman games like this... and it would be cool to be able to play them on the dreamcast like this as well.. im sure other nes games could benefit from this control scheme. what im saying is ... to have the OPTION of doing it this way.. the people who want it like this could and the people who dont can pick whatever control scheme they want..
This is already implemented and completely configurable. By default, it is set up like this:

DC A = NES A
DC X = NES B
DC B = NES A TURBO
DC Y = NES B TURBO

But you can change it however you like. You can even assign DC button combonations to generate NES stuff. So, for example, you could make the R trigger a sort of shift button for your turbo:

DC A = NES A
DC X = NES B
DC RTRIG+A = NES A TURBO
DC RTRIG+X = NES B TURBO
impact135 wrote:how bout a RESIZING option.. so i can move the screen then maybe strech it a little so it would take up the whole screen but then it wouldnt glitch on the right side of the screen on certain games like little nemo.
Done.
impact135 wrote:I wanted to say that this emu will be great and we APPRICIATE YOUR HARD WORK AND DEDICATION TO THE DREAMCAST SCENE.. you are the reason there is a dreamcast scene
Thanks, but I'm not the sole reason for the Dreamcast scene. I got in relatively late and there are many coders here more important to the scene than me. That's my opinion.
impact135 wrote:ONE MORE THING >> and i hope im not being annoying.. but the original NES has MONO sound which is very annoying to listen to games comming out of 1 speaker.. i didnt really notice if the current nesterdc is in sterio or not.. but if not it would be cool to have the music comming out from both speakers.. i know it may not be true sterio.. but maybe you could have the same music comming from both speakers ... MONO is just terrible.. whenever i hook up my genesis its mono sound the thing wasnt sterio *at least not the first models*
Stereo would be cool. Is there enough free clock cycles to do it, I dunno. At least the mono sound will come out of both of your speakers.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Damn, thats a lot of shit you are putting on it, scherzo. I wonder how big it is.

So is the screenshot thing implemented yet?

Sory for the question. Just VERY interested.
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

These features you are implementing are awesome. I wouldn't need any other systems to play. Just my DC and a Nester disc when It's finally released. Awesome work scherzo. Makes me wish I could code.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Dark Savant0 wrote:Damn, thats a lot of poop you are putting on it, scherzo. I wonder how big it is.

So is the screenshot thing implemented yet?

Sory for the question. Just VERY interested.
Actually, that what I'm working on currently. Right now, I'm laying out the database structure. I'm going to build it for speed because I'd hate to have this great screenshot feature but have the rom browsing be slow. It'll piss everyone off. I've also been doing a lot of data entry; matching up multiple dumps of the same game to a single set of screenshots, title screen, cart scans, etc. That's almost done. I'm going to skip nearly all of the Japanese Famicom ones for the first iteration though. There's just so many and matching up Romanji names is a pain.
jjoepr wrote:Makes me wish I could code.
Why can't you? And if it's because you don't know how, why can't you learn/teach yourself?
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Yeah, you can code. It just takes a little work. I started coding with a thing called game maker a while back and know have sufficient knowledge in many other languages, enough to code.

COding only takes patience. YOu dont need to take a class, or even buy a book(sometimes). Just look up some language, start with qbasic or something, and see how to do stuff. From there, it is just memorizing equivalent code and adding to your vocab. Im sure thats how most coders start out.

Anyways, Scherzo, will you make two versions, one with screenshots and one without? Or at least one that does not include the screenshots? Cause thats a lot of crap if its together, and some of us are on dial-up(at least on my cd-burning pc I am). And whats an estimate on its size?
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Dark Savant0 wrote:Yeah, you can code. It just takes a little work. I started coding with a thing called game maker a while back and know have sufficient knowledge in many other languages, enough to code.

COding only takes patience. YOu dont need to take a class, or even buy a book(sometimes). Just look up some language, start with qbasic or something, and see how to do stuff. From there, it is just memorizing equivalent code and adding to your vocab. Im sure thats how most coders start out.

Anyways, Scherzo, will you make two versions, one with screenshots and one without? Or at least one that does not include the screenshots? Cause thats a lot of crap if its together, and some of us are on dial-up(at least on my cd-burning pc I am). And whats an estimate on its size?
All the extra media like screenshots are totally optional. There will still be a text-based browser for choosing your games.

Size-wise, I'd have to check to see what the bare minimum is right now, but I'm not at home. With the theme and executable it'll be a few megs unzipped I guess. Not that bad.