NesterDC SE Release Delayed (beware p.8 for 56k'ers)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
cagmere
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by cagmere »

I'm starting to lose hope in this ever coming out. I mean it was originally supposed to be a holiday release, right?
rbenchley
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by rbenchley »

I'm starting to lose hope in this ever coming out. I mean it was originally supposed to be a holiday release, right?
You have to cut the developers some slack. They all have full time jobs or classes. so it's never going to be possible for them to get out the emulators as fast as we would like. It'll be done some time in the not too distant future, and it will be excellent.
Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.
-George Carlin
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

maybe he just wants to have a life. um ya know stuff like dating and all, video gaming really can't be 24/7 unless he is some insane freakprogrammiing 24/7 . living in a basement closed off to all humanity except for a slot in a door to get food .
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

well having talking to him when he is online, he doesn't have much time. He has a wife and child to make time for. The man works hard in real life. I am really sure though, that when Nester DC SE comes out, it will be wild. Everytime I talk to him he tells me of something new he put in like a superb NSF player that is better than winamp :o . I understand some of ya are losing hope, I do at times but then when I sit outside my mind, I know that coders are working hard on them and they also need to do stuff in "real life" as well. Sometimes we just have to think about others instead of ourselves.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Yeah, don't lose hope. I'm still working on it. I just have so little time to do so. I've got a new job that works me hard; 45 hours a week and 2 and a half hours of driving each day. Not to mention 6:45a meetings on Monday. When I come home I have parental duties. Late at night, when I have a couple hours free, I'm exhausted. All week I look forward to the weekend so that I can work on my personal projects. Then the weekend comes and people suck my free time away.

Nevertheless, I'm truly geeked about this project. I think it's going to be the most feature rich NES emu ever. Also, one of the most compatible. I envision it more like a NES museum than just an emu... NSF player, instruction manual viewer (images and text), Game Genie code database (no need to enter them, just choose), completely configurable controls.

You're not the only one that get disappointed. I do too. And much more than you. Not only do I want to see NesterDC SE be released, but I love being creative. And, right now, life is kind of hindering my need to create MY things. Yeah, I program everyday at my job, but I make crap I don't care about. I love the NES. I love coding for the Dreamcast. It's just plain fun.

And NesterDC SE isn't my only project of course. I have other things that are on hold or are ideas in my head that I can't wait to start.

For instance, I follow the portabilization scene pretty closely. I currently have a handheld NES in the works. It's wired up. I just need to design and build a case. It should be cool.

And after NesterDC SE is all said and done, I want to lay off of the porting of other people's work and make my own homebrew and emus from scratch. First, I want to make something using DreamScript, and then make an official release of that. Then I'd like to make a full blown game or emu from scratch.

So that's the story.
GustavoSM
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by GustavoSM »

We all should start downloading the manuals and NFS's while it isn't released, then.
Can't wait to put my hands on a NES museum.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

GustavoSM wrote:We all should start downloading the manuals and NFS's while it isn't released, then.
Can't wait to put my hands on a NES museum.
Well, once I'm done, you won't have to do that. I'm going to assimilate all manuals from the net (giving credit where it's due) and put them up on my site. And not only manuals, but also game screenshots, cart and box scans too.

Utimately, I will create a program for Windows/XWindows that will scan your rom collection, download only the extras you need or want, and build the CD image for you. That way, you'll have your own personalized shrine of NES goodness in no time. No searching the net for days. The only thing this thing won't do is give you ROMs.
karsten
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by karsten »

G R E A T )()(
I'll create a monument to non-existance! -Kefka, FFVI
http://www.auritech.com
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Yeah, don't lose hope. I'm still working on it. I just have so little time to do so. I've got a new job that works me hard; 45 hours a week and 2 and a half hours of driving each day. Not to mention 6:45a meetings on Monday. When I come home I have parental duties. Late at night, when I have a couple hours free, I'm exhausted. All week I look forward to the weekend so that I can work on my personal projects. Then the weekend comes and people suck my free time away.
My life is similar to yours plus an additional kid (8 months old). You have your priorities straight too; job and family comes first. Frankly, I'm impressed you can do this at all; I can't even find the time to update a tutorial.
Utimately, I will create a program for Windows/XWindows that will scan your rom collection, download only the extras you need or want, and build the CD image for you.
An X11 port would be great since MacOS X users would be able to take advantage of it too.

Good luck and thanks for hard work.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Well, I recently switched my primary OS to Gentoo Linux. I'm loving it too. So I've gotta support X. I'll probably use a nice library called wxWidgets which lets you develop software that'll compile for many different windowing platforms; Windows, X, Mac. It should be cool.
int80h
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by int80h »

I'll probably use a nice library called wxWidgets
We've been using wxWidgets for a project at work, and I've been very pleased with it. Much simpler than QT or MFC.
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

It's amazing. That feature rich emu is exactly what I wanted NesterDC to be. I was planning to make a Dream Inducer menu for this with the manuals, shots, history, cheats etc. etc. but you got the very same thing in mind!

Wouldn't that be great, to have one disc with the complete NES history and games on it. If there is space left, we can also throw in some classic NES commercials.

I'm patiently gonna wait for this, even if it takes 10 years I'll be here.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I dunno about ten years....

I think it would be easy to get the scans from that site that sells the roms on dvd. But you can buy a solo dvd with the boxart and manuals. I think there are two dvds of those.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

No need to buy DVDs of scans of box art. Have you ever seen http://www.screenshotarchive.com/ ? They've got a good collection of box art. Also, I've be accumulating HQ instruction manual scans for quite some time now. I'll probably have all the well known US games cover. For the more obscure ones, I'll have text versions.
Link2k4
DCEmu Banned
DCEmu Banned

Post by Link2k4 »

I don't care for cover or box art even though some of them are pretty, but I don't know its just not my thing. I look forward to Nester DC SE. I will play it and jock it. I would play my NES but the stupid cables are broke and my RF plug in is broke, I need new AVs IT sucks! oh well I am stuck with nester 7.1, that is not bad but I hate the control scheme and the smooth look, its BLAH! I know nester DC se is better.I look forward to it.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

in a word...YAY!

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

hey scherzo i wanted to know since nester se will have box scans and such, will you make it so we can chose a game based on the box scan and stuff like that? see i would like to make a disc for my dad so he can play all of the nes games he liked to play he likes games. he's old and had a speach probelm so when he was younger never was able to get an education pased the 2nd grade, he cant read very well, but the box scans would be aweosme if they could be linked to the rom.

allso if not will it be possible for like single boot disc where you just laod the cd and game automatically loads up?

i like option one the best if its possible. ioption to if its also possible but option 1 isin't
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

I was thinking of having an optional ROM selector that uses the graphics rather text, yes.

Someone always seems to ask for the single game disc feature. It's easy to do so of course I will.
nomis
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by nomis »

So many feature...and i thought that NesterDC was already perfect!

Good luck, you'll need it!
DARKGATE
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DARKGATE »

schezzu, :lol: , (scherzo in language sicily) :P i'm sicilian man eheheh, i have many box scan of games of nes, if i can help you i'm are here :wink: .
W DREAMCAST HOLLEEE'