SNES vs. Sega Genesis....

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

SNES vs. Sega Genesis....

Post by Smiley »

Which had better games by genre, and which did you have?

For me, since I am a Nintendo fan, I naturally had the snes. IMo, it had the best rpgs: Chrono Trigger, which I still play; Earthbound; and Secret of Evermore. In addition, it had the best mult-format games, MK2, Street Figher, etc. As well as the better version of a Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle game....

I wasn't until recently. when I fell in love with my Saturn and dc, that I went and bought a Genesis....imo, the 32x and the sega cd were just overpriced add-ons to spruce up a aging console
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

SNES had the better platformers and RPGs
Genesis.. uh.. had Sonic. Phantasy Star wasn't acknowledged in this neck of the woods. I hadn't heard of it until 2000 when I snooped around on the interweb. Also, imo, Street Fighter was better on the Genesis.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i would say the snes, quality over quantity i think made the snes do better.

overall, it's pretty close. i play my snes way more then my gens, but i play my gens enough to make it worth owning and stuff.

i never used the 32x, or the cd. when we got our genesis...it was closer to the end of it's life cycle, when you could get the genesis 2 and the 6 pack together. i think my dad paid 50$ for it.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

IMO, the SNES owned the Genesis for free. The Genesis had it's occasional gems, but the SNES had so many excellent games I loved, and still do today.
Drinkcast
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Drinkcast »

Super NES...Genesis
-------------------------------------------------
Aladdin < Aladdin
Street Fighter > Street Fighter
Super Street Fighter > Super Street Fighter
WWF Raw < WWF Raw
Paperboy 2 > Paperboy 2
Shaq Fu < Shaq Fu
Mortal Kombat < Mortal Kombat
Ultimate MK3 > Ultimate MK3
NBA JAM: T.E. < NBA JAM: T.E.
Mortal Kombat 2 > Mortal Kombat 2
Doom < Doom (32X)

i had all, obviously... :roll: otherwise I wouldn't be able to compare the differences
Living a better life.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

the Genesis had better sport games, beat em ups, and shooters
the SNES had Rpgs,and platformers
The genesis was faster the snes had better graphics
melancholy
DCEmu's Ace Attorney
DCEmu's Ace Attorney

Post by melancholy »

The SNES was the better system all around, but multi-platform games typically seemed to be better on the Genesis.
megaman8x
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by megaman8x »

actually the genisis had more raw power and know for its arcade ports, but the snes could display more colors, the only thing good on the is rpgs and its own franchises, which werent that great imo, and midway themselves said the mk games played better on the genesis except they werent as pretty
zero
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by zero »

I think the snes was better since it had the best rpgs and platformers.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

I liked them both a lot.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

Back then, if you wanted to play the best of all types of games, then you needed to own both a SNES and a Genesis. One thing I'll never get past is the music on the Genesis... so metallic. It really hurt. SNES sound was heavenly.
Bertrude
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Bertrude »

I'd certainly pick the SNES it had some amazing games.

Street Fighter 2 was a main draw and the later Megadrive version was seriously hampered by the 3 button pad. In fact I think a lot of people got SNES's for Street Fighter 2. I remember a mate of mine getting it and us all piling round to his house after school to play it - it was like having an arcade in your house.

Other games I enjoyed were Starwing, International Super Star Soccer, Mario Kart (of course), Super Probotector (Contra 3) and Legend of the Mystical Ninja which was total class.

Streets of Rage was good on the megadrive though but Sonic never really appealed to me that much.
GustavoSM
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by GustavoSM »

scherzo wrote:One thing I'll never get past is the music on the Genesis... so metallic. It really hurt. SNES sound was heavenly.
Yeah but I can't imagine the excelent tunes from the Sonic games on a SNES... They wouldn't be so cool!

Or maybe the Streets of Rage songs! I don't know how they would sound on a SNES, but they're just perfect on the MD...

As for the games, you just can't choose between a SNES and a Genesis/MD. I have great games for my SNES, some RPGs, Marios, etc. But my girlfriend, who isn't a very skilled player, wanted a game to pick-up and play, and that means an arcade style game. An that means Mega Drive.

Really, both systems have they're own singularities that make them absolutely wonderful. I vote for both!
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Both had great games in every genre, so id say it's a draw.
Last edited by Matisfaction on Thu Feb 03, 2005 10:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

I went with the genesis at the time because

a. I wanted the sega arcade ports
b. All I wanted to play was sports games
c. Sonic was exciting; I was bored with Mario by then
d. I was a poor starving graduate student and could only have one console.

Now I'm the opposite. All I want are rpgs and I don't touch sports games, so based on my tastes today, the SNES would be a better pick. I feel like I missed out on some really good games.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

Clessy wrote:I liked them both a lot.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

There are some good points made; I agree that the one year exclusive of Street Fighter 2 on snes really did sell some units. But, I disagree on a couple points about the gen being faster than the snes, and that the Mortal Kombat version played better than the snes one. The only thing good about the genesis versioon comapred to the snes, was the additon of blood and what not. Nintendo had to be a pansy, and edit out the blood and gore.

Later in the genesis' life, the sound really showed its age compared to the snes.......
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Smiley wrote:There are some good points made; I agree that the one year exclusive of Street Fighter 2 on snes really did sell some units. But, I disagree on a couple points about the gen being faster than the snes
The MD Motorola CPU 68000 was significantly faster than the SNES Custom 65C816 CPU, Which shows in some games that had a lot on screen all at once, like Parodius & Gradius III.

Compare the previous with games like Thunder force IV and Hellfire.
Smiley wrote:Later in the genesis' life, the sound really showed its age compared to the snes.......
Later in its life the MD actually churned out some pretty impressive visuals

But IMO graphics and speed are minor discrepancies compared to actual gameplay, Which both machines had in abundance.
Last edited by Matisfaction on Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
Smiley
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by Smiley »

okay; that would explain why someof the early snes games suffered from flickering and slowdown....
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Some later titles too, Like Live World Soccer: Fighting Eleven & Super Fire Pro X Premium etc.
Last edited by Matisfaction on Thu Feb 03, 2005 11:31 am, edited 2 times in total.