okay heres how it is...

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
SirSolBadguy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SirSolBadguy »

Too powerful, meaning it's blowing out a ton of air at 12v and making a lot of noise in the process. My DC is louder then my computer because of it. 12v is too much for a fan on a piece of plastic that small. So I will use that variable resistor to tone it down to around 9v hopefully.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

SirSolBadguy wrote:Of course. The options are 3.3v, 5v, and 12v, by using the Dreamcast's psu pins. And 5v doesn't push any air at all unless I hold it up to my eyeball. So...what are you talking about?
You can hook the 12V up as normal, but connect the fan's ground to +5V. That should run the fan at 7V, which should be enough to get it spinning at a reasonable speed without any additional hardware. In the PC world, they sell adapters that do this for you off your standard 4-pin molex, since it supplies 5 and 12. Meow Meow Meow Meow. I'm sick as hell, and I've got that damned cat meowing song stuck in my head.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

Yeah, don't use a variable resistor, unless you like the smell of burnt carbon.
SirSolBadguy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by SirSolBadguy »

....wha?? Well the resistor seems to be working fine guys. And I don't know what you mean, Alexvrb. Connect the fan's black ground wire to the 5v pin rather then a ground pin?? I don't get it. That would fry the system.
Pyrosurfer
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Pyrosurfer »

You must be using one that is rated really high in wattage then.
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Theres + and -'s on molex connectors
SirSolBadguy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by SirSolBadguy »

Pyrosurfer wrote:You must be using one that is rated really high in wattage then.
Using a what? I don't even know what we're talking about. The variable resistor worked out fine. I got my 80mm fan running hard enough to keep the dc cold all the time, but its not too loud to annoy me. It's perfect. It's just an ordinary 80mm computer cpu fan. Rated for old athlon thunderbirds I believe. It's 1.5 watts I think.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

mattthemodder wrote:Theres + and -'s on molex connectors
Not on a 4-pin molex plug you'd use for a fan. There's +5 and +12. Look, they've got adapters that do this for you. Most people don't need an adapter, because they do it themselves, if they do it at all. But if you don't know what I'm talking about, don't do it. I shouldn't even talk about it on a non-PC hardware forum. I don't want people breaking their stuff.

Pyro: He's using a 3 watt Rheostat. It'll most likely work fine, unless of course it fails, as variable resistors sometimes do over time. He can always look at the amperage of the fan to figure out its draw, but I'm sure its less than 3 watts!
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Oh yeah I started doing one of those fan mods before but decided I didn't want to hack up a molex connector