DC DIVX Vs. GypPlay ROUND 1 FIGHT!!!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.

DC Divx Vs. GypPlay Which is better?

Total votes: 0
navi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC DIVX Vs. GypPlay ROUND 1 FIGHT!!!

Post by navi »

Ok Guys Which One do you Perfer?
And Why? :)

Gyp
- smooth and clear :)
- the first MPEG/VCD player i had come across
- realible

Divx
- little to no conversion time (sometimes :wink: )
- newer and fresher
- CD swapping enabled :)

-navi
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips »

Gyplay's a Gyp. No swap support? Gimme a break. Playback has much too be desired too.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I havent used GypPlay since something like DCDivX Alpha 2 - the *only* thing GypPlay has going for it is relatively good quality Stereo audio - I don't care what anyone else says, I personally have had better playback quality visually on DCDivX from a 'good' source video than I ever got on GypPlay - and you don't even need to change disk in the middle of a movie.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

I like Dc-DivX because it has better quality/compression.
Who voted for GypPlay (fatheadpi?) ?
Pinoy2201
DCEmu's Selfboot Guy
DCEmu's Selfboot Guy

Post by Pinoy2201 »

im not i big fan of DivX more of a VCD person but Gyp cant swap...that suks...so i pcik DCDivx I played one of my anime on dat thing and it gave good Qualtiy
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

Is there even a question here? DC DIVX. Yeah watching LOTR with DVD quality and it fitting on 2 cd's is nice.
Cooltown
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Cooltown »

"DC DIVX. Yeah watching LOTR with DVD quality and it fitting on 2 cd's is nice."

Hmm,by that comment you haven't seen a real dvd b4 have you??
The sofdec player is best for mpeg but doesn't have any use unless you don't have a dvd player as the compression is the same as mpeg i.e poor and it doesn't have playback controls...still a LOT better than gyplay tho.
Oh and you prolly don't wanna do anything illegal so you'd better leave it alone or sega will take you down and send you to jail for ripping off something they don't even use anymore or even care about.
Dc Divx is definetly the best tho as it has good compression so you can put like 10 epss on one disc instead of 2-3 like on a vcd.

Cooltown
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod

Post by crazyrom »

i pick gyplay because it easy to make movies with cant get divx to work
is it that much better than gyplay?
Mr._Chips
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Mr._Chips »

clessoulis wrote:Is there even a question here? DC DIVX. Yeah watching LOTR with DVD quality and it fitting on 2 cd's is nice.
Hm, well I only needed one cd for that movie. The rip was from a dvd, but the picture has been reduced to make up for the AC-3 Sound...

When a 700mb dvdrip is compressed to DCDivX compatible, the file become roughly 400Mb... :D

now I wish cd's could fit 800Mb!
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

I tested the new beta 3 in a big demo menu test disk, and I love it. Jay and Silent Bob now resid in my dreamcast. I don't know who to vote for tho:

Gypplay:
-Extra Reliable
-Great Sound, no more deciding tween good mono sound and lame stereo.
-Has actual controls, and they work very well
-Doesn't take a minute to load a video

DC Divx
Plays back much better
More video on a disk
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

fatheadpi wrote: DC Divx
Plays back much better
More video on a disk
And you don't know which to vote for? :o
hosdaboss
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

GYPlay

Post by hosdaboss »

I like gyplay much better than dcdivx. I have never gotten good quality using dcdivx(Using properly encoded movies) plus I usually don't get playback at all. gyplay always works for me. So what if you got to change disc in the middle of a movie, I usually like to go get a drink ;). I love gyplay, and I don't plan on changing any time soon.

ps: When I encode movies with virtualdub, I went from a 700 mb dvd rip to a 800 mb worse quality dcdivx...
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

Well, divx looks and plays back better, but that's about the end of the differences. The audio in gypplay is very nice, whereas dc divx is just alright, and i love my 48 khz 320 kbps audio. It'd be nice if someone ever figured out how to get gypplay to do a disc swap, but the guy who posted about takin a piss break in the middle of a move has a good point. Plus, the current control scheme in dc divx sucks balls compared to gypplay. Gypplay has a fast foward and rewind function that's responsive to the toggle stick, and movies load in about 10 seconds. Most divx movies still take 30 seconds to a minute to load, even setting their file priority high doesn't help a lot. DCDivx plays back mp3's, but so does dsnes, and it has a lightshow, seeks in a half second instead of 5, doesn't crash on playing certain mp3's, and it plays snes games.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by ZacMc »

ps: When I encode movies with virtualdub, I went from a 700 mb dvd rip to a 800 mb worse quality dcdivx...
:o Sounds like you didn't encode your video with the right settings.
DCDivx plays back mp3's, but so does dsnes, and it has a lightshow, seeks in a half second instead of 5, doesn't crash on playing certain mp3's, and it plays snes games.
So your vote is for DreamSNES!? :lol:
hosdaboss
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

dcdivx setting

Post by hosdaboss »

maybe I don't use the correct settings, but if it's that much a problem, then I'll just stick to good 'ol gyplay. Good stuff.
ZacMc
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Re: dcdivx setting

Post by ZacMc »

hosdaboss wrote:maybe I don't use the correct settings, but if it's that much a problem, then I'll just stick to good 'ol gyplay. Good stuff.
Just follow my DcDivX4Dummies guide, it's damn easy to follow.
Monti Rock
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Re: dcdivx setting

Post by Monti Rock »

ZacMc wrote:
hosdaboss wrote:maybe I don't use the correct settings, but if it's that much a problem, then I'll just stick to good 'ol gyplay. Good stuff.
Just follow my DcDivX4Dummies guide, it's damn easy to follow.
Anything that takes more than 5 steps dealing with a larger size info isn't worth it....

I stick with Gyplay, because in trying to join "megaclips" the last thing I need is to worry about the program itself. So I can't swap discs, oh well. That's just a small price to pay. I've got EZ Creator with a Gyplay file I saved. So all I do is swap one folder and I'm straight....

so Gyplay for life homers!
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

So your vote is for DreamSNES!?
Why yes, i do believe it is. As an mp3 player, dsnes far outclasses dcmp3 and dcdivx.

Dcdivx is nice because it can reside in a subfolder on a demo menu disc.

As far as encoding goes, making mpegs and divxes are about equally challenging, unless you're like me and like to play around with things too much. *Dreamcast starts on fire*

To summarize this whole argument:

If you like a reliable player that's easy to work with, doesn't give you any shizznit, has a great control scheme, amazing sound, and you don't mind either slightly choppy playback (2 pass vbr) or slightly blocky playback (cbr), and you like a movie that stops halfway through so you can go take a piss, make a sammich, etc, use Gypplay.

If you don't mind having no controls outside of stop, pause, and a barely functional fast foward, are smart enough to learn to make divx movies, don't mind crappy mono or crappy stereo sound, want better playback quality, want more video on a disc, and like something with disc swap and the ability to reside on a demo menu disc, use dc divx.

FUN DCDIVX TRICK (Not reccomended for those of you who don't likie wasting cdr's)

Encode your movie with all divx 5 enhancements on (especially quarter pixel and gmc), it turns many characters, motions, ideas, sound waves, etc, into shiny hallucinations.
hosdaboss
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

divx4dummies

Post by hosdaboss »

I did follow divx for dummies, I must have screwed up somewhere though. MPEG encoding is really easy for me, as opposed to divx.
clessoulis
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by clessoulis »

Mr._Chips wrote:
clessoulis wrote:Is there even a question here? DC DIVX. Yeah watching LOTR with DVD quality and it fitting on 2 cd's is nice.
Hm, well I only needed one cd for that movie. The rip was from a dvd, but the picture has been reduced to make up for the AC-3 Sound...

When a 700mb dvdrip is compressed to DCDivX compatible, the file become roughly 400Mb... :D

now I wish cd's could fit 800Mb!
Well the version I got is the newline cinime screen play version for seleted viewing. Its very good quality but I had to cut it down some to run on dc divx. If I wanted to keep perfect DVD quality I would have to use 4 cd's.

O and about the 800MB cd why not buy one of those sony double density burners? It supposedly doubles the size of whatever the cd is. Exmaple 700MB becomes 1.4GB and so on. I still dont know where to buy them in america though. ANyone know?