Dreamcast Suitcase

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Jolthind
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Dreamcast Suitcase

Post by Jolthind »

http://www.geocities.com/joltspalace/DSC00572.JPG

Hey guys, I bought this really awesome old suitcase for $3, and then i was thinking how cool it would be to fit some new electronics in this retro suitcase... so i was looking around my room and messed around abit and put in this sega saturn to mess around and i want to mount a small flat screen in the top of the lid. but then i realized... i'd MUCH rather put a dreamcast in there! (but i dont have one, my old one broke, have one coming on the way)

So anyway... i need some of your help. what would i need (besides the dreamcast and stuff like that). Im not to technological so dont know much, but i was looking on ebay for LCDs, a lot of them go for a lot, but they have some PSone screens on there brand new for $40, whats the difference that makes the sony ones so cheap?

i was thinking of just keeping it powercorded, cause im lazy mostly, but let me know what you guys think about that, do you think it would be easy to make a battery? how easy would it be to make it both? for those times when it is avalible?

thanks for any help you might give.

-Jolt
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

A Dreamcast in a suitcase... now there's an idea, goddamnit! You, sir, are a genious, and I ain't being sarcastic.

With it being a suitcase, you could probably store a nice big battery in there for the DC to run on, hook up something for a screen too. Damn that'd be cool!!!!
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Why screw with a lttle PSone screen? Get a big 7.5" LCD like in cars! That would be way sweeter. Remove all the DC guts, and install them in there then. Maybe create a little place to flip through all your games, and then a little place to hold a controller or two... Make it both battery and wall powered. Theres a thread somehere for a 12v battery that costs around $35, but has 4000 Mah, which is quite a bit, and would prolly last 3 1/2 hours for a DC. You'd have to replace the hwole PSU with you own custom built PSU using a 3.3v regulator, a 5v regulator, and thent he live 12v line off the battery. Seems easy enough, and fun.
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

You can get the lcds for less, now. Just keep trying, since many people are buying from toys r us and selling them, and they are cheaper now. Check your TRS for them, cause now they are discontinued.
Jolthind
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Jolthind »

yeah, i have the idea for the spot to sort through the games, if you see in the picture to the right there are two controllers (one sega saturn, and one PS2 cause i only have one SS controller) and behind those is the inside of a cd storage case. i proped up the back so it sits up on an angle. i was thinking of using heavy duty velcro to hold the monitor and dreamcast in place, cause i dont want to put any holes in the outside of the suitcase.

also you said i'd have to make my own PSU with this and that and blah... i have no idea what that means. i didnt want to take the dreacast apart, i was just going to leave the whole thing in there.

now i have to find a cheap LCD hopefully with intergrated speakers, or some cool cheap flat speakers. rock.

thanks guys!

-Jolt
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Theres another idea. Over-hault he sound system with some computer speakers. this would offer you loud sound, and/or headphones.
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

o_O I imagine. Arcade in a suitcase. 17in widescreen monitor+ dreamcast+ 2x arcade controllers +batteries+ speakers. :mrgreen:
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Jolthind
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Jolthind »

well for right now i bought a PSone screen cause i got it for only $18 bucks (woo!) I would LIKE a big screen and etter speakers, but right now money is tight, so it'll have to wait and this 5"er will have to do... you know, size doesnt matter... its how it works that counts.

so i just need some help from you guys as to how im supposed to turn the weird playstation plugs into makin the dreamcast compitable shiz, you know what i mean? Thanks!
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

The controller or the video? The red,white and yellow plugs or the main output plug on the Playstation?

You can buy converters for the controllers, and get cheap assortments of video/audio connecter or splitter
Jolthind
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Jolthind »

no, no, i meant how do i connect the dreamcast to tha weird plug in the front of the PSone screen, but im almost embarassed to say i never took the time to turn the friggin thing around and see the AV input right there in front of me, thats embarassing...

so anyway, i guess now all i have to do is wait for my dreamcast to come... suck... its probably gonna take like two weeks... but oh well! i'll have to finsh making the rest of the inside of the case... theres nothing to really "make". but i mean glueing stuff down and such.

-Jolt
Jolthind
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Jolthind »

hey, i actually have a question for you guys... i dont have any DC games yet, but i want to get enough to atleast fill the booklet in my "Dreamcase" which holds twelve games. I used to have a dreamcast, but it broke, so i know afew i want but i was wondering if any of you would list some of your favorite games.

i know i want to get Phantasy Star Online and I have Jet Grind Radio and Crazy Taxi coming with my Dreamcast. and if you know where i can get some *ahem* cheap games... let me know...

also i have the screen positioned and i made a box to hide the wires in and i got the cd case in permanently. Heres a new pic, tell me what you think:
http://www.geocities.com/joltspalace/DSC00579.JPG

-Jolt
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

Try asking in DC Discussion, you'll get a load of replys. As for PSO, single player its boring but now you can still player multiplayer via the homebrew servers
if you know where i can get some *ahem* cheap games
That is not discussed here, if it is the topic is locked. Period.
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

I would say but no warez. Just buy them in bulk on ebay, or download hombrews and emus on the dcemu site.

Crazi Taxi 1 and 2
NBA2K series
Quake 3
Sonic Adventure 2
Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio
Evolution 1 and 2
Capcom Vs SNK 2000 and 2001

I personally think it needs a bigger lcd. It looks funny. But its original. I like it.
Jolthind
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Jolthind »

i didnt mean for it to be discussed here, thats why i was being descret about it, you could always IM or PM... anyway yeah, like i said, i'd want a bigger screen, but right now i can afford one, i will get one tho. how can i go wrong with that one for $18 just to start off?

With PSO i actually like the single player mode better, but could you tell me where abouts to find out about playing on homebrew servers? also, do you think its worth it for me to get PSO and PSO v.2 or should i just get one or the other.

you say "Jet Grind Radio and Jet Set Radio", is there a difference? i thought one was just the japanese name for the other.

I'm gonna go try posting in DC Discussion like you said. Thanks.

-Jolt
Unph@zed
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Unph@zed »

dammit, how do you people keep getting screens so cheap?! I've tried my damndest to find a little 3" or 5" screen, THREE INCHES!!! I wanna put my Xbox in my car :). I wanna hook 'em up into my 2 12", 1000 watt subs (only 225w goin through each right now though :( ).
"Some day I'll figure out something to go here"

http://eyeofinsanity.doesntexist.com
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Unph@zed wrote:dammit, how do you people keep getting screens so cheap?! I've tried my damndest to find a little 3" or 5" screen, THREE INCHES!!! I wanna put my Xbox in my car :). I wanna hook 'em up into my 2 12", 1000 watt subs (only 225w goin through each right now though :( ).
The psones screens. you cna friggin buy them w/ a psone for 50bucks at an ebgames or gamestop.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Matt
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Matt »

i didnt mean for it to be discussed here, thats why i was being descret about it
Its pretty obvious what you meant, if you be discreet it just means lockage a little later
kingbuzzo
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by kingbuzzo »

decent lcd screens are very expensive, maybe some used vgs lcd screens would be cheaper, but you're still looking at $500+ for anything remotely decent.

It's a good idea you got there, but it'll take some considerable work and financing.

best of luck,

Kingbuzzo.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

kingbuzzo wrote:decent lcd screens are very expensive, maybe some used vgs lcd screens would be cheaper, but you're still looking at $500+ for anything remotely decent.

It's a good idea you got there, but it'll take some considerable work and financing.

best of luck,

Kingbuzzo.
One of my friends has the wholesale electronics magazine. You can get 7inch lcd's for 30bucks.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Jolthind
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Jolthind »

any way you can tell me where to get that magazine or what the name of it is?

-Jolt