NesterDC SE Release Delayed (beware p.8 for 56k'ers)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

gamedudex2 wrote:so nester does not display in the same res as the nes did? or is just the pal version thats different?
The NES had a res of 256x224. NesterDC SE runs at 640x480 and the 256x224 image of the NES is stretched to 640x480 and the result is optionally bilinear filtered.
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Pyrite »

That?s the thing that bothered me the most apart from no custom button remapping was a no stretch res option that wouldn?t be a problem for us in PAL land :D
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

I just hope you include some frame skip options. They are great for leveling up in Dragon Warrior :-)

scherzo release it when ever you are ready man, I know it will kick ass.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

scherzo wrote:Sounds like that cpu core is rather buggy and incomplete. It would take serious fixing on my part just to make it usable for the compatibility expected from NesterDC. If I took on that task I'd be in the same place as SFC is right now. I could learn sh4 asm but I don't want to. It doesn't seem like a good investment of my time. It would take a long time to be any good at writing quality code. Id rather spend that amount of time learning something I can use. Continuing to write things in C/C++ is a benifit to me outside the homebrew scene.

As for different graphics modes and filtering. 2xSai would be nice but there isn't enough clocks to do it. I'll try for kicks to see how bad it is. I wish that 256x224 wasn't PAL only. I'd like a true to NES resolution like that. Oh well.
:?: I didn't talk about bugfixes you would had to do. All I suggested was to add that sh2 6502 emu as an optional feature to offer the additional speed needed for what Fragger suggested. Here's what I wrote again:
Christuserloeser wrote:Hope, it helps to gain some speed to add some of Fragger's suggestions... Those early DC devvers had to use any possibility to gain some extra emulation speed. The gleam CPU core might have some bugs though... Maybe it's possible to add a CPU switch, so when enabling the [2xSai] filtering, NesterSE switches to the Gleam ASM 6502 emu in the back (and display a 'warning' message). This way, it would ensure that people who like to use no additional filters still play Nester with the more bugfixed CPU emu Nester currently uses, and people that would like to try the filtering modes, are beeing warned about possible emulation problems due to the use of the gleam ASM CPU emu...
Would be nice if you could at least try that gleam 6502 emu out - I hope it's worth it.
Insane homebrew collector.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

wow, i hadn't even thought of 2xSaI on Nester. that'd be gorgeous.
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I'll at least take a look at that asm core.
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Arqueiro »

no problem, u are the man !
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
Christuserloeser

scherzo wrote:I'll at least take a look at that asm core.
Thank you in advance! Else I would not have been able to find some sleep during the next year :wink: ... :lol: ... :|

zzzzz.... nester ....zzzzzzzz ....gleam sh2 6502 emu.... zzzzzzz... cpu switching.... zzzzzzzzzz.... 2xsai filtering ..... zzzzzzzzzzz... has not been tried.... :!: Nooooooooooo... :o
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

I was wondering if analog stick control is going be avalible in the new release, I like using the dpad in frnes a lot and I really don't use frameskip for much, it whould be cool it was an option from the menu if thats possible or just default.
lackofsense
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Location: dobson just north of your carolines and your other sisters

Post by lackofsense »

i have been reading this all along the way and an option will be included to choose either or

ya dig
sense-lacking is a tough job but somebody's got to do it
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

I haven't been keeping up with the threads in here, but I was just wondering... Is there currently any compression done on the snap saves in NesterDC? That would seem like a quick way to free up some VMU space.
Darkfalz
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Darkfalz »

It should be stretched to 640x448 with slim black borders top and bottom.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Darkfalz wrote:It should be stretched to 640x448 with slim black borders top and bottom.
thats exactly what i did to make NeoDC look nicer than its predecessor. accurate, pixel doubling, stretching.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
cristfc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cristfc »

GustavoSM wrote:Those are great news! But I think, scherzo, that you should measure your words before posting. I won't be able to sleep for the next days.
Awesome avatar, GustavoSM..... :roll:
Screen is adjustable for other sizes?
Again, Legendary Levels return!!
jjoepr
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by jjoepr »

I'm drooling over this I can't wait :o
Christuserloeser

...damn, that sh asm 6502 core I suggested to check, really is pretty unfinished... :o

...any of the other gleam cores of any use to gain some extra speed?
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Hey scherzo, 2 more questions... Will NesterDC SE support zipped ROMs? And... would it be easy to add slow-motion (like, forcing the emu to run at 6 FPS with no frameskipping)?

I hope I'm not being too annoying with all those requests :oops:.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
impact135
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by impact135 »

after playing Nesterdc7.1 for some time today i noticed that some of my favorite games have blinking.. the real nes does this too.. i wanted to know if there was any way to fix this. Also some games do have slowdowns at some parts.. i was wondering if the nesterdc se would fix this..

also there are some games that work perfectly on the computer that dont work on the dreamcast.. and i did check the roms and they are all good.

I also wanted to say that this emu will ROCK the emulation world.. well .. i know that it will at least rock the dreamcast emulation community. Im not trying to NITPICK.. im just trying to tell ya of some of the things about the current emu that could be improved.

ok well thanks for hearing me :o
gamedudex2
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by gamedudex2 »

well he said he fixed many games, but the ones that have issues on the nes i dunno if he fixed because i would guess he is just emulating the nes the way it would actually play games. i dunno if he could fix those issues for specific games, but if he could and make it optional so it wouldnt mess up other games, then sweet.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

Its all lies he sitting there playing his fullspeed n64 emu he ported laughing at your guys thinking he's actually gonna release stuff :D
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!