iPod Shuffle!

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Yonke »

looking forward to get better minidisk player
(at least are more cheap)..........
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Nyarlathotep wrote:My iPod has a backlit screen, you just have to enable it in the settings and / or push the menu button for a couple of seconds, and it shows the only song information I care about for each song (artist(s), trackname, album, time elapsed, time remaining). Also from my experience the clickwheel is very intuitive to use (much nicer than the standard buttons most stuff uses - I've always preferred an analogue 'dial' for volume than + and - buttons anyway)

As for the pricetag, it offers more space for a smaller size and pricetag than anything else currently on the market which is why I bought mine - do any of you have a genuine reason to hate it other than its really successful / popular and / or you can't afford your own? :dontknow:
What other MP3 players did you look at before you bought yours, Gold Plated jewel encrusted ones? Archos makes them with bigger capacity for a lower price. the only trade off is you have to carry a couple of extra ounces, and use an AC adaptor. Heck there are other brands that are cheaper, and on the same scale.
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:My iPod has a backlit screen, you just have to enable it in the settings and / or push the menu button for a couple of seconds, and it shows the only song information I care about for each song (artist(s), trackname, album, time elapsed, time remaining). Also from my experience the clickwheel is very intuitive to use (much nicer than the standard buttons most stuff uses - I've always preferred an analogue 'dial' for volume than + and - buttons anyway)

As for the pricetag, it offers more space for a smaller size and pricetag than anything else currently on the market which is why I bought mine - do any of you have a genuine reason to hate it other than its really successful / popular and / or you can't afford your own? :dontknow:
What other MP3 players did you look at before you bought yours, Gold Plated jewel encrusted ones? Archos makes them with bigger capacity for a lower price. the only trade off is you have to carry a couple of extra ounces, and use an AC adaptor. Heck there are other brands that are cheaper, and on the same scale.
Case in point. 40 gig creative, $250 at STAPLES. iPod, 20 gig, $300 EVERYWHERE.
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

am I the only one that thinks it looks cool? I mean.. I'd never buy one but still.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

megaman8x wrote:2)seriously is it that hard to put a disk in place, you do it evertime you play a console, thats just being lazy
And how would you go about creating a playlist? Whenever I listen to music, I mix things up. I don't listen to one specific album or a mix CD. I choose songs as I go. I have over 4,000 songs on my MP3 player and I go into many different folders. I'd have to change a CD tens of times within one listening session because of this. MP3CD players might be better at this task, but they still won't hold all of my music.

I don't want to have to carry a box of CDs with me wherever I go, especially not to school...
It's thinking...
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

same here, i have over 5000 tracks of music on my computer, id go insane if i had to change discs everytime i want to change my music

if you take into acount a regular cd has 80 minuts of time free for music, id need aprox. 525 CD's to store all of my music, imagine looking for one single track in that pile of discs

and IRT random troll:

no i dont like the way it looks, but i didnt like the original ipod anyway, nothing personal, but since you asked if we liked it, id thought id reply
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Orange_Ribbon wrote: What other MP3 players did you look at before you bought yours, Gold Plated jewel encrusted ones? Archos makes them with bigger capacity for a lower price. the only trade off is you have to carry a couple of extra ounces, and use an AC adaptor. Heck there are other brands that are cheaper, and on the same scale.
The archos is a LOT bigger and a LOT heavier - the only other alternative was some kind of SD or compact flash player, but theres not a chance in hell I was realistically buying 40Gb of flash RAM.

If I wanted something that would playback movies, the archos would have been more tempting, but if I'm ever travelling for a long enough period where I will have time to sit and watch a film, I already have a laptop with DVD drive - all I wanted was a music player that was small and light enough for em to put in my jacket pocket while walking to work, or to listen to while jogging, and the iPod was really the only logical choice given their monopoly on micro-HDDs for at least the foreseeable future.

Also, megaman8x - you are high if you think there are any CD based music players that do not skip while JOGGING - even my MD player used to skip a bit ocasionally and that was designed to have way more jog protection than any cd player.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
Orange_Ribbon wrote: What other MP3 players did you look at before you bought yours, Gold Plated jewel encrusted ones? Archos makes them with bigger capacity for a lower price. the only trade off is you have to carry a couple of extra ounces, and use an AC adaptor. Heck there are other brands that are cheaper, and on the same scale.
The archos is a LOT bigger and a LOT heavier - the only other alternative was some kind of SD or compact flash player, but theres not a chance in hell I was realistically buying 40Gb of flash RAM.

If I wanted something that would playback movies, the archos would have been more tempting, but if I'm ever travelling for a long enough period where I will have time to sit and watch a film, I already have a laptop with DVD drive - all I wanted was a music player that was small and light enough for em to put in my jacket pocket while walking to work, or to listen to while jogging, and the iPod was really the only logical choice given their monopoly on micro-HDDs for at least the foreseeable future.

Also, megaman8x - you are high if you think there are any CD based music players that do not skip while JOGGING - even my MD player used to skip a bit ocasionally and that was designed to have way more jog protection than any cd player.
No. Just STFU. You're going against the popular opinion. You aren't 1337.
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

pixel wrote:
Nyarlathotep wrote:

No. Just STFU. You're going against the popular opinion. You aren't 1337.
Nyar may hate me, but he's right.
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

i paid 95$ shipped off ebay for my archos 20gig jukebox recorder v2, and it definatly was worth the money...it IS only a little bigger than an ipod, and i think browsing and stuff is easier with it than with an ipod (using rockbox).

plus since rockbox is open source and stuff, there are movie players, games, and a bunch of other stuff. (and i can charge mine via usb, i dont have to use the ac adapter?)

i was thinking about getting an ipod mini, but i went on ebay and lookin around i saw that one for 80$ buy it now....(15$ shippin- overpriced but still under 100$) saved me over $100 and let me replace my ps2...
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I think you'll find Tenchi was being ironic....

and I'm not going to ruin the cut of my suit just so I can save $100, fact.

EDIT: for charging, I have a set of THESE - I've never used the ac adapter that came with my iPod because I bought it on a business trip to NY so the adapter didnt work anyway.

The firewire and USB cables did though, which is what I used before I got my speakers
Last edited by Nyarlathotep on Wed Jan 12, 2005 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Nyarlathotep wrote:
my archos recorder 20 is just about as heavy as first gen ipods. Not that I've got anything against ipods.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Nyarlathotep wrote:EDIT: for charging, I have a set of THESE - I've never used the ac adapter that came with my iPod because I bought it on a business trip to NY so the adapter didnt work anyway.
That really kicks ass. :o I'm now considering an ipod.
spaghetti
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan
DCEmu's #1 Cher fan

Post by spaghetti »

Nyar: Creative had several disk-based MP3 players out before the iPod with better features for less. I'm not saying iPods are stupid, I'm just saying they didn't invent affordable disk-based MP3 players.

And the iPod shuffle is still pointless, no matter how you choose to look at it.
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

I'd never buy an iPod, nor any other MP3 player of any type. I'd much rather have an MP3 CD player, that way I can listen to all my CDs with it, and no I don't want to have to rip them or download them and put them on the player, I like being able to just pop in a CD at anytime.

Doesn't mean I don't like free iPods, though...
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

I like my Minidisc player.
Thomas
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

ETR wrote:I like my Minidisc player.
I liked mine at first, but then it started to act funny and not accept a lot of files I tried to transfer to it. I currently couldn't be happier with my iRiver.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

Nyarlathotep wrote:I think you'll find Tenchi was being ironic....

and I'm not going to ruin the cut of my suit just so I can save $100, fact.

EDIT: for charging, I have a set of THESE - I've never used the ac adapter that came with my iPod because I bought it on a business trip to NY so the adapter didnt work anyway.

The firewire and USB cables did though, which is what I used before I got my speakers
You should get Anckle and Wrist Weight my good man.

http://www.cdfreaks.com/news2.php?ID=10392

Just one Gram more. Before you raise the issue of price I would like to remind you, they have a none video player one that cost less.
Nick
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by Nick »

iPod shuffle=worst idea ever. Oh wonderful, essentially an MP3 player...with no screen (seriously the $10 CD Players at Rite Aid at least have screens) and the amazing innovation of shuffle playback. All for the wonderfully low price of $100 for 512 MB or $150 for 1 GB. I am not impressed in the least.

Seriously the only thing going for it is the look. It looks good, but it's way over-priced...kind of like its big brother the iPod (and the iPod photo--whew, they make you pay out the ass for those :o ).

And no, I'm not an apple hater...I actually want to get a Mac Mini which is actually a very interesting piece of hardware with decent functionality for the price.
Last edited by Nick on Wed Jan 12, 2005 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Very sexy hero, omg
Egotistical EvilN
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Egotistical EvilN »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 25997&rd=1

One of those is the cost of an ipod, and is mpg4 compatible. I can pick an archos off of ebay for under $80. *Marks down that down*