overpriced used mac market coming to a end?

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

overpriced used mac market coming to a end?

Post by SuperMegatron »

I been hunting around ebay and other sites and I am seeing a huge drop in the resale value of items like g3 iMacs, b/w g3, Yikes g4s,and sawtooths most of these are selling under 250 now. Do you think there is a flood of mac users dumping there macs before the 499 imac comes out, and if we really see a 499 mac come out will that kill off the used market? I for one hope it does there is no reason a gigabit ethernet g4 should sell for over the cost of a new dell.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Probably just a combination of both. A lot of people where I work are getting rid of older imacs, beige G3's bw G/3 to replace them with G5 machines. I don't think a $499 imac will kill the used market, but it will definitely bring the prices down.

stuff on ebay often goes for more than it is worth anyway.
Thargok
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Thargok »

My goodness, you think this is a drop in price. Many of the things you mention here are upword 7 years old. Find a Pentium 2 that goes for above $100 and I will show you a G3 that goes for under $250. The funny thing is that people love G3 Clamshell iBooks; sure it isn't exactly something I would run OS X on, but definitely a 8.5 box.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Thargok wrote:The funny thing is that people love G3 Clamshell iBooks
:oops:
mr_sniffles
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by mr_sniffles »

Well, considering a beige G3 doesn't even have USB, how much do you really expect it to go for?
But, beside that, the entire G3 line's resale value was killed when Apple stopped supporting classic. As stated before, just because a lot of those machines can run OSX, doesn't mean they should.
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

I am now obsessed with learning your l33t mac speak, and buying a G3 Wallstreet or Pismo.
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Depends what you need it for. I was handed a beige G3 for free, so no arguing with the price for me. It came with USB. I have put Panther on it. You can tweak it to get rid of some of the eye candy. Good enough for things like Word, email, Safari, and just messing around. I was considering sticking a G4 in and a video card, but with the price of that Mac mini, doesn't seem to be worth it anymore.