Video card question

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
F8
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Video card question

Post by F8 »

So is a Radeon 9550 128mg SE less quality than Radeon 9550 128mg DDR? This vid card of mine fried (under warranty) and was replaced with an SE; I think they're trying to pull a fast one.
zickfun
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by zickfun »

Yes the SE is the shit/crap edition. Why? Becuase the memory bus is reduced to 64bit instead of the standard 128bit which means half of the information can squeeze through thus resulting in slower speed , also the standard clock speed and memory speed is lower to. Image quality wise, I doubt thered by much difference as they both use the RV350/RV360 core.

The best you could do with it is overclock it, otherwise your pretty much stuck with a crappy card.
F8
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by F8 »

Ok, but I'm confused. If you doubt there's much difference image quality wise (I assume you mean playing games), then what's the problem. Let's say, for Doom3. Would that run like p00p with SE?
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Solitare would run like poop on a SE card. Ok, well maybe not Solitare, but any newer games will suffer greatly. Doom 3 will be hardly playable. Image quality is the same, assuming you run the game on both with the same quality settings, it's the frame rate that will suffer.
Last edited by bizzle on Sat Jan 01, 2005 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Games like Doom 3 and Farcry will run a lot better on a non-SE card, as they make good use of the better memory bus speed.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Im pretty sure they have to replace your card with another card that is as good as, or better then the one you had.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

doom3 would run like shit on a normal 9550 too, it basicly is a downclocked 9600, which is nowhere near a real 9500, so the 9550 name is misleading

and dont accept a SE return, you bought a normal, so you should get a normal card
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007