SmashGP coming to dc!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by DaMadFiddler »

I still like my suggestions :P
uncleben
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by uncleben »

I think the sprites are "choppy" because they are scaled freely during gameplay
Steve-O
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Steve-O »

Skynet wrote:yeah steve, link us to pc version! :o
Ok, Ill go look for it...

When I said "It was origianlly made for the PS2" I meant to say PC :P... I said PS2 as I was reading about the Small PS2 being sold out while writing that message :P

Ill go look for teh PC Link

The PC Version was called "SUPER MARIO WAR"

Unfortunatly, I think the Homepage is down, but after a quick Google Search I got this link for you all :) - http://www.acid-play.com/download/super-mario-war-101/

Anyway, the GP32 Port is Better than the PC Version In my opinion (I thikn when it was ported to the GP32 it was Improved) The DC Version will be the same as the GP32 version I think

It was Either a Port or a Remake, I have Forgot :P, but I think it was Based on That Super Mario War :)
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Steve, those are completely different games. Totally different. SmashGP has yet to be seen outside the GP32 (and probably appropriate emulators).

uncleben: I don't see that being a problem on DC (if done correctly), since you can just use the 3D hardware for all the 2D stuff, and zooming in and moving around would work wonderfully. But that would require a lot of work, so he might just leave it as-is. Personally I don't care about that, but I would like it if the resolution was boosted and the color pallette expanded significantly, to allow for better looking sprites and levels. I'm sure it looks great on a GP32, but expanded to fill a TV, it won't look so sweet.

But it all depends on what he wants to do, and is able to do. I can only express preference, we can't demand or expect anything.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
Steve-O
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Steve-O »

Alexvrb wrote:Steve, those are completely different games. Totally different. SmashGP has yet to be seen outside the GP32 (and probably appropriate emulators).
Woops

It was so long ago when it was mentioned to port SMW to the GP32 and with them both being "Mario" style games that I got the 2 Mixed up :P....

Well, Technically they are both kind of similar... But SmashGP, zooms in when the players are close, and zooms out to show a bigger map area when the players are far appart. Also the only main other difference is instead of only jumping on there heads, you can injure them in different ways (Punching and hitting them with hammers etc )
Sir Savant
Somewhat Dumb Knight

Post by Sir Savant »

Cant even test it cause I have no pc link. :(

Can anyone get it to work in geepee32? I cant seem to make the thing work. It goes white for 3 secs and then says loading for a split second before going black. But it hasnt frozen, it keeps using cpu and stuff. I really want to test it out too. :(

Maybe someone here could see about getting good sprites.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Steve-O wrote:Well, Technically they are both kind of similar... But SmashGP, zooms in when the players are close, and zooms out to show a bigger map area when the players are far appart. Also the only main other difference is instead of only jumping on there heads, you can injure them in different ways (Punching and hitting them with hammers etc )
I'm afraid I have to disagree. If you've played Smash Brothers for the 64 or Cube (which this is a clone of), you'll understand how very different the game mechanics are. Of course they're both "beat the other guys" games, but you can say the same thing about lots of games. ;)
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Cant even test it cause I have no pc link. :(

Can anyone get it to work in geepee32? I cant seem to make the thing work. It goes white for 3 secs and then says loading for a split second before going black. But it hasnt frozen, it keeps using cpu and stuff. I really want to test it out too. Sad

Maybe someone here could see about getting good sprites.
I tried it using geepee32 but I think the problem is the firmware I downloaded. Obviously I can't get my own and had to download a free one, I think that's the reason not being able to play this game. If anyone can help, feel free to let me know. Or if it's kinda borderline warez, feel free to pm me :D

edit: when I say free, I think it was legal. Or maybe it was illegal. Or maybe it was illegal to use on a GP32 but isn't for geepee32. Bah I don't know. Either way I didn't download any legit firmware or anything as I don't have a GP32 nor do I even have any games for it. But this game looks cool enough to use an emulator for it to have a Smash Bros clone on my pc :D
Steve-O
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Steve-O »

Ok, I have never played it before on the Cube...

I dont think it works on GeePee32 because GeePee32 only runs at 33mhz where as normal GP32's run at 133mhz - 256mhz... even if you did get it running on GeePee32, Im guessing it will be very slow.

Also, When using GeePee32, did you make a Virtual SMC Image??

The 0.3 Version for the GP32 is cool, just played it when in the car...
gnomes
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gnomes »

Omfg.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Steve-O wrote:I dont think it works on GeePee32 because GeePee32 only runs at 33mhz where as normal GP32's run at 133mhz - 256mhz... even if you did get it running on GeePee32, Im guessing it will be very slow.
1) Even if GeePee32 only emulated a 33Mhz GP32, it should still run if the emulator was accurate and you have the proper BIOS. It would just be slower.
2) GP32s do not run that fast. Their "normal" range is much lower. Overclocking to around 166Mhz is common, but above that would often require voltage modding. 256Mhz?? That's just insane, you'd have to rip it out of its case and watercool it or something, while pumping the vcore to dangerous levels.
gnomes
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by gnomes »

Well it's been a year and we have nothing :(
Mr.INSANE
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Mr.INSANE »

Seriously

Ive been waiting for this guy todo something last i heard there was a psp port
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Why was this dug up?
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

YAY! Finally something that I've been begging to play is gracing the Dreamcast!

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

so wait is there a DC port or not?
*The Cadillac of signatures*
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

bump.

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

Stop bumping! If it's released, it's released!

Anyway, if you wanna play it, just play on PSP or something. I wonder if the PSP emulator will do it for PC.
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800