DC Problem, need help

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
SubtleDagger
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC Problem, need help

Post by SubtleDagger »

Hey, I've been looking around the forums trying to find a solution to this problem. My DC often stays on for long periods of time because I use it as a CD Player, and recently after turning it off, I turned it back on to discover that... well, it didn't want to turn back on. The orange light comes on for about half a second, and after opening it up I discovered the fan starts moving, then the light and fan stop immediately and nothing happens. If I attempt to turn it back on again, neither the light or fan will do anything at all. I have to wait a few minutes after taking the power chord out of the DC, and then the same thing happens with the fan and light.

I checked to see that the fan wasn't blocked (it isn't), I dusted the PSU and wiped off the pins from the mobo (with my hands, I'm not sure that helps), still the same problem. Any ideas as to what is wrong?
ETR
Dumb

Post by ETR »

Best thing is to not use it as a CD player.
Smiley wrote:I was bored and like to hear myself talk, that's all....
SubtleDagger
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by SubtleDagger »

Alright, that's fine, I just want to know if I'm able to fix it or if anyone has any idea what to do with it.

I can buy a new one, but I'd rather not have to.
DCPepperoni
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DCPepperoni »

it is probly the power supply or the power cord...

try dusting to the power supply and clean up the connections..

ie. clean the six pins that go into the power supply.. or get an eraser and clean the ends of the strip that connects the motherboard to the controller board.. etc..

or if you have another console, x-box, playstation or a stereo.. try using the power cord of that instead of the original dreamcast one

if that doesnt work get a baseball bat and give it a few good hits.. hehehe

- best of luck -
DeeMON
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DeeMON »

no, u CAN use your DC as a CD player...i use my DC for everything...and i have an alternative CD player/MP3 player/VCD player....but doing things on DC is soo kool!

i think those SIX pins are loosing contact cuase the DC gets heated after a while...i suggest stuffing the GAp with alluminium foils...make sure it doesn't short the six pins with each other...and i think using your DC even after overheating should be sort of avoided... :wink: