Best looking Saturn Games...

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
DjB
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Best looking Saturn Games...

Post by DjB »

I just got my hands on a backup of Nights as my original is totaly stupped due to my ignorance at the younge age when I played it. After 50 or so tries with the swap method, I finally got it to work with something the guides didnt tell you :?

Wow. Allthough being such an old game and not meeting up to todays standards by a long shot, that game looked damn good for its time and could easily crap all over most of the 'popular' titles on the Playstation. Which made me think, there were quite a few good looking games on the Saturn. Which one's do you guys think took the cake? I think Virtua Fighter 2 and that Championship edition (or whatever it was) Daytona USA are definately up there.
Vlad Tepes
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Vlad Tepes »

Panzer Dragoon II was a pretty game, and Daytona CCE was fairly decent looking. Too bad it played like crap. Sega Rally and VF2 were definately not ugly. I think the Shinobi game looked really good...minus the hilarious aweful cut scenes. I've never been into baseball games, but the World Series games on Saturn had pretty good graphics, and they played rather well.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

paste screen shots...
mikelomax
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Location: Off Topic, Since I know very little about the dreamcast

Post by mikelomax »

Panzer Dragoon Saga was pretty good, all things considered.
The reason for having: A firewall

Independance day, the aliens were destroyed because a computer was used to access their network and disable key systems. If they had had a firewall, the earth would be just another worthless rock floating in space.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

The capcom 2D fighters basically don't age. There's very little graphically between, say, Xbox Capcom Vs SNK 2:EO and Saturn Street Fighter Alpha 2 in terms of sprite quality
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Astal.
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

Yea Nights was a great game. Got me wishing for a remake and/or a sequel again now.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

after 50 tries you finally got it?!? i have to swap disc's to play my copy of nights too (there is a crack on the outside of the disc...the "security" track so because it cant read it, i cant play it unless i swap) althogh i got it on my first time, you tape the lid sensor down, insert the copy you want to play and turn it one, when you hear the laser move to the outside of the cd ("security" track) you swap with an original, after it moves back to the center you swap back... i may have only had it not work like twice and ive been doing it for ~3 month's, what step wasnt the guide telling you?

anyway, world series baseball has really good graphics, and it plays perfectly...

panzer dragoon 2 is a decent game, but probably the best one ive played is duke nukem 3d. the control's arent to good, but i think it's a good game (and for $2.50 from the flea market in box w/ instructions and the cd being new it was well worth it)...so far that's the only netlink game i own so i might try and pick up the adapter to mess with it...

there was also a racing game i have somewhere that looked good. it was kinda like fzero only.... a little different. not sure what it's called but ill look for it....
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
DjB
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DjB »

Damn I wish it had of been that east for me. Keep in mind that I do have a Pal Saturn with oval buttons. What I did was, with the button taped down : 1. Put the backup in and turn it on 2. Watched the access light flash a few times slowley and stop then quickly swap for the original 3. You know when its reading the outer security ring when the disk spins slowly, it will spin like this for a few seccond then it will speed up just before it goes to the Sega screen. Swap the original for the backup after it speeds up but before it goes to the Sega screen. If its done correctly it will go to the sega screen like its a normal game and so on.

p.s. eyy look at that, i cracked 100 posts :P
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

I'm pretty sure mine is oval buttons and it's pretty easy. Just listen for the noises ;)

I can get it 4/5 times :D

But then again, we shouldn't be discussing how to play backups either :P
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Stormwatch
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by Stormwatch »

Radiant Silvergun - the "spiritual prequel" to Ikaruga - squeezes pretty much all the power the Saturn has. Not surprisingly, it is usually regarded as the best shmup ever. Sadly, it is quite rare, and Japan-only, so a mint copy would cost you +$200 on eBay.

A backup, on the other hand... :P
Lines join in faint discord and the Stormwatch brews
. . a concert of Kings as the white sea snaps
. . at the heels of a soft prayer
. . whispered
Tvspelsfreak
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by Tvspelsfreak »

Stormwatch wrote:Radiant Silvergun - the "spiritual prequel" to Ikaruga - squeezes pretty much all the power the Saturn has. Not surprisingly, it is usually regarded as the best shmup ever. Sadly, it is quite rare, and Japan-only, so a mint copy would cost you +$200 on eBay.
Everything he said. 8-)
https://github.com/tvspelsfreak/texconv - Converts images into any texture format supported on the DC.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Tvspelsfreak wrote:Everything he said. 8-)
Same here except change +$200 to ?175 and more for me. :o
The Saturn has other great shoot em ups tho like: Battle Garegga, Kingdom Grandprix, Soukugurentai, Dodonpachi, Thunder Force V, Strikers 1945 part 2, Sengoku Blade, Sexy Parodius, Metal Slug :D, Silhouette Mirage etc.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

mighty lot of backup discussion going on... keep it down boys :wink:
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

which was more popular in it's time dreamcast or saturn

dreamcast has done so much after it's death willl anyone remember the after life 5 years down the road or it will be forgotten like the saturn games...
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

In Europe prolly DC, we got stiffed over here with the Saturn European releases just like we did with the Mega CD, i wasted ?260 on it :x

Saying that we got stiffed on a few DC releases but nowhere near as much as the Saturn, Thank god for importers :wink:
Last edited by Matisfaction on Sun Dec 05, 2004 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

From memory, I'd say Burning Rangers is up there.
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

yap, Radiant Silvergun is a very very nice game. The music, the end boss...just awesome. That game aside, Guardian Heroes is also very good.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod

Post by crazyrom »

Dragon force is my favorite saturn game it go's for about $100 on ebay.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... eName=WDVW