Mac Qs

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by SuperMegatron »

Linux is going to run like poopoo on that machine the ram limits you a lot. I believe that model takes powerbook ram right. it uses the same ram as the 233mhz wallstreet ? The harddrive is easy to swap out I have swap drives on the imac 333 and my emac there is nothing to it. If you really want os9 buy a old copy of osx they go for 10 on ebay and install classic and reboot in os9 and remove osx. Yellowdog linux might run on your mac but i doubt it the ram is killing you.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Hmm... Exactly what do you want to do with this machine?

With so little RAM, I think that most mainstream distros are right out the window. You'd have to go with something that allows you to customise things, and strip out anything you don't need. Debian would probably be your best bet, and depending on which version you use (which depends on what you want to do with it), you shouldn't have any problems finding software for it either.

If you just want to use it as a media player, and nothing else, then a base system, X, a simple window manager, and the media player would be enough. That would run just fine on that system.
Jaded JAaron77
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Jaded JAaron77 »

the only one I've ever tried is YellowDog and it was huge and slow. I don't think it'd run on that at all
this is my signature
Clarkbar
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Clarkbar »

I have ubuntu warty release on my g3 mac laptop 400mgz, 64mb ram and it works fine. It took two hours to install but I like it better than the mandrake ppc version.

You might want more ram though. I know I do.
Clarkbar
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Clarkbar »

Can't help you there. A different keyboard maybe.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Before I would do anything, I would pony up for more Ram. You could probably get away with a setup as BA suggested, but I remember trying to run LinuxPPC on an 8500 that only had 96 megs, and it was pretty sluggish. It did get usable when I bumped things up to 192 megs. I'd say 128 megs would be the lower limit. Otherworld computing usually has ram for older Macs, and it's not that expensive.

I could be mistaken, but two options, mklinux and linuxPPC are dead. You can still download mklinux, but there hasn't been much activity. I'm not sure if you can even find linuxppc anymore. I've been out of the linux loop since OS X came out.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Hurricane Hasney? wrote:Yeah, just looked into some things. Thinking of putting a DVD/RW in there, a G4 and about half a gig of RAM. Should be plain sailing with OSX after that :)
Now you are talking quite a bit of money to do an upgrade. I think you would be better off finding a used G4 tower with AGP graphics. at least then, you could pop in a video card to get quartz extreme, etc.