Had the Dreamcast been able to play DVDs

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Stupid Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Had the Dreamcast been able to play DVDs

Post by Stupid Newbie »

I jumped on the Gamecube bandwagon two months ago and have been kicking myself for waiting so long to get one. The reason I went with PS2 several years ago was - you guessed it- DVD compatibility.

As for my PS2, it's basically just sat there doing what I got it for, playing DVDs. In the three years that I've owned it, I've purchased a whopping THREE games. In comparison, I have already gotten ten titles for my Cube in just two months, and can't stop playing the damn thing.

That got me thinking that if Nintendo had thrown in a DVD player, it would be leading the pack right now.

So how would the Dreamcast had fared had it offered this a full year before anyone else? Surely it would have had an even larger base. Would it have remained a major player despite its shortcomings like the PS1 was able to last generation?

Or, would that feature way back in 1999 simply have made the Dreamcast too expensive to really take off?
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

Probably 2 expensive. DC really came out in 98 and dvd players werent that popular then plus they started designing it in 96. So I doubt they would of thought about dvd.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

from what I read Sega was aware of the potential of DVD and also knew SONY was putting it into their next-gen console. The fact was Sega had no money to even consider DVD on their what was to be last hardware venture... :(

Sega did show DVD DC mock up on several trade shows but AFAIK no working prototype was ever constructed unlike ill-fated Zip drive add-on...
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Re: Had the Dreamcast been able to play DVDs

Post by Matisfaction »

Stupid Newbie wrote:I jumped on the Gamecube bandwagon two months ago..........................
What were your whopping three games you had for your PS2? Im just curious :D
Stupid Newbie wrote:That got me thinking that if Nintendo had thrown in a DVD player, it would be leading the pack right now.
They did, its called the Panasonic Q

Check it: http://www.digital-joker.de/gchardware/panasonic-q.jpg
http://www.emulationgalaxy.co.yu/images ... sonicQ.jpg
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Had the dreamcast been able to play dvds, it might have stayed long enough for BleemCast to have been released, which would have CRUSHED anything the PS2 could offer (backwards compatability and DVD ability).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Eckostyle
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by Eckostyle »

If it had DVD playback, it probably would have lasted longer than it did, even though it would but the price of it up quite a lot. I still think the PS2 would come out on top regardless, though.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

If bleem had been allowed to carry on, the DC potentailly would have had the entire PSone back catalogue in HI res (very easy and tempting for the installed PSone fan base to cross over to DC), as well as its own titles.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Just for the record I would like to clear all rumors on the fact that dreamcast was never ment to be sega's last console hell they already started researching on there next console in early 2000 (commercial date which means somewhere in 99) so basicaly the dreamcast was always getting the dvd update yes it would've been expensive but with the right time and the proper market and marketting things would've been diffrent and I would request all the noob's who come here in the future that we've been through this again and again and for me atleast now it'sm starting to become painful to imagine how the dreamcast would've been if things didn't get fucked up so look for those who want to keep the faith keep it I am with all you noobs and some senior members who think sega will return one day...

On a personal bases I am sure as soon as sega accomplishes there task to be the best 3rd party thre return to hardware won't be long there's also a rumor going around that sega will soon start developing accesories for the x-box sometime next year or something so let's leave this topic and enjoy what's left of our veloved console and get it what it deserves hope for the dreamcast your one true spot is http://www.dreamcast-scene.com now leave the rest to faith...
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Just for the record I would like to clear all rumors on the fact that dreamcast was never ment to be sega's last console hell they already started researching on there next console in early 2000 (commercial date which means somewhere in 99) so basicaly the dreamcast was always getting the dvd update yes it would've been expensive but with the right time and the proper market and marketting things would've been diffrent and I would request all the noob's who come here in the future that we've been through this again and again and for me atleast now it'sm starting to become painful to imagine how the dreamcast would've been if things didn't get fucked up so look for those who want to keep the faith keep it I am with all you noobs and some senior members who think sega will return one day...

P.s The panasonic Q never left it\s native country if it did we would probably have gamecube pairated games in pakistan...

On a personal bases I am sure as soon as sega accomplishes there task to be the best 3rd party thre return to hardware won't be long there's also a rumor going around that sega will soon start developing accesories for the x-box sometime next year or something so let's leave this topic and enjoy what's left of our veloved console and get it what it deserves hope for the dreamcast your one true spot is http://www.dreamcast-scene.com now leave the rest to faith...
TheWanderer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheWanderer »

Goodness Bilal, use some fudging periods man. That rambling sham of incorrect facts is impossible to read.

Sega will doubtfully make another console. They have been purchased by Sammy, whom I doubt will want to spend millions on a very risky venture.

DVD add on for the DC would've been nice, and probably would've happenned, but Sega pulled the plug before it could really get off the ground. DVD built in was certainly feasible, even in '98-'99 when it was released, though the console would've cost a good $300-$400 because of it. The launch was one of the most succesful ever, regardless.
Dreamcast: It's thinking. And it thinks you suck.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

TheWanderer wrote:Goodness Bilal, use some fudging periods man. That rambling sham of incorrect facts is impossible to read.

Sega will doubtfully make another console. They have been purchased by Sammy, whom I doubt will want to spend millions on a very risky venture.

DVD add on for the DC would've been nice, and probably would've happenned, but Sega pulled the plug before it could really get off the ground. DVD built in was certainly feasible, even in '98-'99 when it was released, though the console would've cost a good $300-$400 because of it. The launch was one of the most succesful ever, regardless.
Not adding periods did not make it unreadable only if you are a poor reader will it make it unreadable...Most people just skip over the periods and un inportant words (like me) so they can speed read it.Anyways I did not see any wrong information posted in his post.Also it is very doubtful that sega will make another console,sad,but true.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
TheWanderer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheWanderer »

Poor reader my ass. A period is a very basic part of writing, and is not terribly difficult to use. Honestly, why people can't funking implement basic grammar and thought into their posts is beyond me. A bit of editing so the words dnt lok lik dis would help a lot. :wink:

Sega "will return" to Hardware dev soon? Gimme a break. :roll:

Sega was researching what new console in 2000? Nothing that I know of. At that point, they were figuring out how to bury the Dreamcast, not how to design a new piece of hardware.
The Alchemist
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by The Alchemist »

If he can't be arsed to put in periods/commas, why should we be arsed to read it?

On-topic: in my opinion, if Sega had added a DVD drive to the DC, the price would have been so high they'd have ended up with an even smaller fan base. DVD players were selling for more than the PS2 at launch in Japan.
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

JACKASS wrote
Goodness Bilal, use some fudging periods man. That rambling sham of incorrect facts is impossible to read.

umm have "u" eva read Egm lik it was in it that sega scraped there next console and they are moving to 3rd party line up as for da hardware it is a rumor in pakistan that sega will make 3rd party accesories and stuff for consoles I heard it from quite a few people though not sure

and people have the right to belive and I can sure as hell belive what ever I want I know that the odds are against my thoughts but I can do what I want when I want and right now I am just hoping for a next console maybe in the era of ps4

so how u like da slang use and no grama now NOOB
TheWanderer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheWanderer »

BILAL_XIA wrote:JACKASS wrote

umm have "u" eva read Egm lik it was in it that sega scraped there next console and they are moving to 3rd party line up as for da hardware it is a rumor in pakistan that sega will make 3rd party accesories and stuff for consoles I heard it from quite a few people though not sure

and people have the right to belive and I can sure as hell belive what ever I want I know that the odds are against my thoughts but I can do what I want when I want and right now I am just hoping for a next console maybe in the era of ps4

so how u like da slang use and no grama now NOOB
With the intelligence of a four year old on gamefaqs, Bilal comes back with this absolutely hilarious reply. Jackass wrote? Oh man, I am dying right now.

NOOB? What does that have to with this conversation? I made a perfectly valid point about poor grammar (and lack thereof) and I get called a NOOB? Shows the intelligence of the above poster right there.

I own all the EGMs stemming from early 2000. I.e. the period you would be talking about. No where is there a mention of Sega's next console. Perhaps there is a blurb on a "rumor" but what are rumors? Unconfirmed speculation. There was talk of upgrading the Dreamcast, perhaps with better components. But all new hardware? No, not that I know of. Talks? Perhaps, but they were certainly cut off shortly, given the fact that the plug on the Dreamcast was pulled.

In Pakistan? Yes, that's the leader of all entertainment news, especially on Japanese companies and their product lines and recent announcments. :roll:

Slang use? "Da" and "grama" are pretty hardcore. :roll:
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

BILAL_XIA wrote:Blah
TheWanderer wrote:Blah
If you you both want this thread to carry on i suggest that you both cool it, before it turns (well it kinda has already) in to a flame war :roll:

Or i see this thread being locked.
Eckostyle wrote:If it had DVD playback, it probably would have lasted
longer than it did, even though it would but the price of it up quite a lot. I still think the PS2 would come out on top regardless, though.
Altho DVD playback was a factor, I think that the backwards compatability did it for PS2, Crossing over to PS2 was real easy to do for a PSone owner.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Matisfaction wrote:
Eckostyle wrote:If it had DVD playback, it probably would have lasted
longer than it did, even though it would but the price of it up quite a lot. I still think the PS2 would come out on top regardless, though.
Altho DVD playback was a factor, I think that the backwards compatability did it for PS2, Crossing over to PS2 was real easy to do for a PSone owner.
which is why i said DVD + B!DC would have done it.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

quzar wrote: which is why i said DVD + B!DC would have done it.
Backwards compatability was more of a factor tho. the DVD playback was more of a WOW it plays DVD's kinda thing + DVD's were kinda new then.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Matisfaction wrote:
quzar wrote: which is why i said DVD + B!DC would have done it.
Backwards compatability was more of a factor tho. the DVD playback was more of a WOW it plays DVD's kinda thing + DVD's were kinda new then.
not in japan. there when PS2s were released many people bought them solely for their DVD playing capability.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

quzar wrote:not in japan. there when PS2s were released many people bought them solely for their DVD playing capability.
Fair point. well made.