linux on mac

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Clarkbar
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

linux on mac

Post by Clarkbar »

I have a mac g3 laptop. I've heard of yellowdog linux for mac but are there any other distro's that I can run??
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

A few distributions have a PowerPC version, which runs on G3 Macs and above, and some other PowerPC-based systems.

Debian
Gentoo
Mandrake (A little out-of-date)
Fedora (Development snapshots only, may be difficult to get working)

If you're not too fussed about it actually being Linux, we also have...
NetBSD
GNU/Darwin

GNU/Darwin is actually an open-source software distribution built on top of the Darwin kernel, which is the same kernel that MacOS X uses. It's a bit limited in terms of software compared to most Linux distributions though.

It wouldn't suprise me if the Debian guys do a port using the Darwin kernel too at some point. They already have semi-working ports using the NetBSD kernel, and the GNU HURD kernel.
Clarkbar
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Clarkbar »

THanks for the info. I'll be sure to check out these distros...
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: linux on mac

Post by SuperMegatron »

Clarkbar wrote:I have a mac g3 laptop. I've heard of yellowdog linux for mac but are there any other distro's that I can run??
Linux sucks on the mac there is virtually no software for it. If you want linux your way better off getting a pc that said if your dead set on getting ppc linux make sure you get mol that will allow you to run os9/x inside linux.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Linux sucks on the mac there is virtually no software for it.
:?

Virtually all software written for Linux / x86 runs on Linux / PPC as well, with a simple recompile. For those that don't, they generally either:

1 - Don't make sense on a PPC (like programs that do things with PC-only hardware)
2 - Wouldn't work anyway (like VMWare)
3 - Can be run using qemu (an emulator)

That said, you'd probably be better off running Darwin on newer Macs, simply because of the better hardware support. Since it's the same kernel as MacOS X, it has almost the same hardware support. On older Macs (like ones that come with OS 9), Linux is a much better bet.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

Gentoo has a PPC port and portage is good :)
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

It appears that Ubuntu (no, I don't know how to pronounce it either) has a PPC version as well, which should work on your Mac, assuming it has enough RAM. It's a very new distribution, using GNOME 2.8 and some other really up-to-date stuff, and I've heard nothing but good things about it. The very first release (4.10) was released today / yesterday (depending on your timezone). Might be worth a try, and they also ship free CDs for distributors / lazy people / dial-up users.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

no, I don't know how to pronounce it either
The Ubuntu Linux FAQ Page wrote:Ubuntu, an African word from Zulu and Xhosa, is pronounced "oo-BOON-too". See the other FAQ on it's meaning, it's a worthwhile read. And no, you're not the first person to wonder :-)
:D
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
trey85stang
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Re: linux on mac

Post by trey85stang »

SuperMegatron wrote:
Clarkbar wrote:I have a mac g3 laptop. I've heard of yellowdog linux for mac but are there any other distro's that I can run??
Linux sucks on the mac there is virtually no software for it. If you want linux your way better off getting a pc that said if your dead set on getting ppc linux make sure you get mol that will allow you to run os9/x inside linux.
there is nothing wrong with linux on a mac, the fact that there is MOL which runs at about 99% there is no reason not to do it in my opion.. most app anyone would want to use works on the ppc platform.
thanks
trey
toastman
Iron Fist of Justice
Iron Fist of Justice

Post by toastman »

Uh, the whole "Ubuntu philosophy" smells a lot like the Free Software Foundation's philosophy.
No signature.
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

And we all know the FSF are a bunch of commie fascists who want to subvert the American way of life. :roll:
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Uh, the whole "Ubuntu philosophy" smells a lot like the Free Software Foundation's philosophy.
And Debian's, actually.
c99koder
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by c99koder »

I switched one of my friends over to Ubuntu from Slackware last weekend. It's a really nice distro, he's really enjoying Synaptic + apt over installpkg. I wish they had a PPC version of the live CD, I'd give it a try on my PowerBook, but I'm not about to wipe my drive so I can partition it to dual boot.

AirPort Extreme cards aren't supported by linux (and probably wont be, stupid Broadcom..)
Clarkbar
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Clarkbar »

i just put mandrake ppc on my g3 laptop and like it. )()(