Can I play Saturn games on my Dreamcast?

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Wizard Of Odd
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Can I play Saturn games on my Dreamcast?

Post by Wizard Of Odd »

Obviously not straight out of the box, I'm not stupid...

I just wondered if there is a Saturn emulator for the Dreamcast (or even the Playstation 1 or PC) as I have 2 games for the Saturn I picked up at a local 2nd hand market and would really like to play them. One of the games is NiGHTS - a game I've wanted to play for ages!, and the other is just a rally game.

If not I might just buy a Saturn off eBay, and pick up a few cheap games as I like to collect old consoles anyway.
bizzle

Post by bizzle »

BlueCrab was working on a Saturn emulator, but it's VERY early in development so you can't use it for playing games yet. No, there is no Saturn emulator for Playstation 1. There are a few for PC but I know nothing about them.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

Theres a better chance of hell freezing over than fullspeed Saturn emulation on DC.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Just buy a Saturn, Its prolly easier, and there are pretty cheap on Ebay. I got mine with 7 games for ?13.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

Your lucky then cause most USA and Japanese saturns are going for 50-90 USD latly without games.
Wizard Of Odd
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Wizard Of Odd »

Sorrie wrote:Your lucky then cause most USA and Japanese saturns are going for 50-90 USD latly without games.
Really? Most the UK ones are going for about ?20-30, usually with about 5 or 6 games too. What's that, about $50-60?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

I bought mine a year+ ago for 70$ with 2 games =\. it was in box, and still had the stickers =))
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Maximo2703
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by Maximo2703 »

i think im getting mine around xmas from the goat store for 50 then im going to pick up Nights and Bug both games are 8
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

if you are not fond of idea of getting real Saturn - you should BTW :mrgreen: - try to find GiriGiri[hack] on Internet mate...

there's another piss poor hack job of GiriGiri - basically someone put out same program under different name as if it's theirs of something...

Note there's no emulators out there that is 100% perfect. GiriGiri is close but it has its share of problem and other emulators are quite good but their compatibility is some where less than GiriGiri...

No I don't know where you can get GiriGiri...
maybe others can help you...

cheers
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

dj898 wrote:if you are not fond of idea of getting real Saturn - you should BTW :mrgreen: - try to find GiriGiri[hack] on Internet mate...

there's another piss poor hack job of GiriGiri - basically someone put out same program under different name as if it's theirs of something...

Note there's no emulators out there that is 100% perfect. GiriGiri is close but it has its share of problem and other emulators are quite good but their compatibility is some where less than GiriGiri...

No I don't know where you can get GiriGiri...
maybe others can help you...

cheers
cassini.

you shouldnt talk about that though, cause its an illegal emulator.

http://www.saturnin.consollection.com/

that is a legal emulator that is playable in many games, just has some graphical errors and not all games work.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
cube_b3
Ex-Newsposter
Ex-Newsposter

Post by cube_b3 »

Sorrie wrote:Your lucky then cause most USA and Japanese saturns are going for 50-90 USD latly without games.
I knew it ... so who's paying you to talk out of your ass

I assure you there will be a 100% speed saturn emulator for dc before hell freezes over if playstation games can run more then playstation perfect (Ex tekken 3,MGS,GT2,Syphon filer[leaked one works nearly 100% speed 100% sound 40% music 10 fmv's])
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

BILAL_XIA wrote:

I assure you there will be a 100% speed saturn emulator for dc before hell freezes over if playstation games can run more then playstation perfect (Ex tekken 3,MGS,GT2,Syphon filer[leaked one works nearly 100% speed 100% sound 40% music 10 fmv's])
First off you quoted the wrong post of mine. Second playstation is one of the most easy system to emulate and has a lot more detailed info due to its popularity. Getting n64 runing on DC is easier than Saturn would be. Simple put your wrong i'm right, good day.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Sorrie wrote:
BILAL_XIA wrote:

First off you quoted the wrong post of mine. Second playstation is one of the most easy system to emulate and has a lot more detailed info due to its popularity. Getting n64 runing on DC is easier than Saturn would be. Simple put your wrong i'm right, good day.
current progress would prove you wrong, as yabuse DC does more than NincestDC =P.
Wizard Of Odd
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Wizard Of Odd »

quzar wrote:cassini.

This is interesting. Someone else mentioned the fact Cassini was an illegal emulator on the NGEmu forums, and the thread was locked.

How can one emulator be more illegal than another? They are surely all borderline between legal and illegal. None moreso either way than any others.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Wizard Of Odd wrote:

This is interesting. Someone else mentioned the fact Cassini was an illegal emulator on the NGEmu forums, and the thread was locked.

How can one emulator be more illegal than another? They are surely all borderline between legal and illegal. None moreso either way than any others.
Once upon a time, there was a great emulator called GiriGiri, and all was good, for a time. Soon after though, Sega bought the emulator from the author and started selling it online. From this commercially improved version of GiriGiri came GiriGiri[hack] which is the commercial Sega emulator with the product code request hacked out of it.

That is why the emulator is illegal, because it was hacked from a commercial emulator.

Cassini was a newer project, in which someone took the GiriGiri[hack] and hacked it to perform slightly better and have slightly better features.

That is why it is illegal.

Another emulator that has been mentioned in this thread, which shouldnt be discussed is the Bleemcast leaked beta. It is illegal because it was stolen from Bleem.

Most emulators are legal. What is illegal may be the possesion of the datafiles played by them. Under normal circumstances though, emulators are legal.
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Wizard Of Odd wrote:

Becuase gir gir is a leaked/cracked version of an offical sega emulator.
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Sorrie wrote:
BILAL_XIA wrote: I knew it ... so who's paying you to talk out of your ass.........Blah, blah, blah
Dont you think this is kinda stupid?

Both systems would take a lot of hard work to emulate on the DC, Bleem was a single game emulator. One game per Bleem disc, three in total (its still pretty amazing tho). If someone did somehow manage it youve still got the extra buttons + analogue stick problem and what about the ram carts for saturn games ect, ect. but Then again you never know.

Back to the point.........The first post asked about an emulator to play original (makes a nice change :wink:) Saturn games on DC with the basis that there maybe more to follow.

As i said before try to get a Saturn. it would be worth it if you plan on getting more games, but try the PC emulator if you wanna try the games you have right now.
TheWanderer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheWanderer »

Matisfaction wrote:
Sorrie wrote:
BILAL_XIA wrote: I knew it ... so who's paying you to talk out of your ass.........Blah, blah, blah
Dont you think this is kinda stupid?

Both systems would take a lot of hard work to emulate on the DC, Bleem was a single game emulator. One game per Bleem disc, three in total (its still pretty amazing tho). If someone did somehow manage it youve still got the extra buttons + analogue stick problem and what about the ram carts for saturn games ect, ect. but Then again you never know.

Back to the point.........The first post asked about an emulator to play original (makes a nice change :wink:) Saturn games on DC with the basis that there maybe more to follow.

As i said before try to get a Saturn. it would be worth it if you plan on getting more games, but try the PC emulator if you wanna try the games you have right now.
Bleem was going to be a full fledged release of "Bleempacks" that featured around 100 games. This didn't come about, for reasons I guess due to A. Sony suing them and B. the Dreamcast's death. I think it's mostly because of A. I love Bleem. When their discs boot up, it says something along the lines of "correction, we are not associated with Sega etc. in anyway" while pointing to the licensed by sega block of text that occurs upon boot-up of a game. Quality. :lol:
Dreamcast: It's thinking. And it thinks you suck.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

TheWanderer wrote: Bleem was going to be a full fledged release of "Bleempacks" that featured around 100 games. This didn't come about, for reasons I guess due to A. Sony suing them and B. the Dreamcast's death. I think it's mostly because of A. I love Bleem. When their discs boot up, it says something along the lines of "correction, we are not associated with Sega etc. in anyway" while pointing to the licensed by sega block of text that occurs upon boot-up of a game. Quality. :lol:
Yeah i think it was somthin to do with the bios? I maybe wrong but i think Rand developed his own, so it was all nice and legal. But Sony being as they are kept chucking the law suits at bleem and they couldnt afford the legal bills.

The Bleempacks would have been awesome and of course there was Smackdown 2.

But a lot of work went in to bleem and bleem was a comercial emulator, So it would be pretty Difficult for some one to take a PSone emulator on.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

quzar wrote:
Sorrie wrote:
BILAL_XIA wrote:

current progress would prove you wrong, as yabuse DC does more than NincestDC =P.
As you would say meh. Plus nincestDC aint going anywhere because it got no where to go the PC version does just as little as the DC version. You know which emulator has to be ported if we want good N64 emulation. Lets not get into that again ok.