"16-bit era" Console Discussion

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

"16-bit era" Console Discussion

Post by Clessy »

PCE has better graphics than most Genesis games if you ask me. And Super CD sure was better than Sega CD.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
Tvspelsfreak
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by Tvspelsfreak »

Yeah, the PCE is capable of showing more colors on screen than a Genesis. Not many games did it though.
https://github.com/tvspelsfreak/texconv - Converts images into any texture format supported on the DC.
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Tvspelsfreak wrote:Yeah, the PCE is capable of showing more colors on screen than a Genesis. Not many games did it though.
If I remember my system info correctly, the only major advantage the Genesis had over the TG-16 (yes, I live in the US ;-)) was a more powerful CPU. It may have had a couple of extra video functions, but I don't recall. NEC's system was very interesting, though...8-bit system but 16-bit graphics (which is what the NES was originally intended to be, before Nintendo decided it would be too expensive), and a few interesting titles before its premature demise.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

I know this is somewhat off topic, but it does have a point at the very end:
TurboGrafx-16 vs. Genesis. In addition to a faster CPU and more RAM, the Genesis could handle more sprites and two parallax backgrounds in its video hardware. It also had the Z80, PSG and FM chips contributing to superior sound capability. The TG16, however, had more colors, a slightly higher resolution, and larger sprites.

- The first TG16 CD add-on (CD 1) for the TG16 added a little more memory and a considerably faster second CPU, but nothing else. It was short lived. The second (CD 2) version added a more sizeable chunk of memory via the System Card.
- Super CD, (CD 3) the third CD add-on revision, added a good chunk more RAM (via Super System Card) and an improved BIOS.
- The SuperGrafx was a beefed up TG-16 with more memory than a stock TG-16, modified video hardware (revision "A"), support for 2 parallax backgrounds, 2 HuC6270A chips instead of 1 HuC6270 (video chips), and more video memory. You can add one of the CD units to it.
- The TurboDuo looks like just an integrated TG16 and Super CD. No SuperGraphx video hardware. But the BIOS is probably different, and there's supposed to be some Super CD games that only work on this, they come with their own Cards supposedly?
- There's an Arcade Card for the CD units (twice the memory of even the Super System Card), but I'm not sure how many games used those, certainly none in North America that I know of.

Anyway, the main thing is, nothing I have seen indicated that the SuperGraphx has a faster HuC6280 CPU. They're all listed as having a HuC6280 running at 7.16Mhz. Obviously all the CD add-ons include the 16Mhz 65802, but that's not what we're debating at the moment. I can't find anything indicating that the SuperGrafx 6280 is clocked any faster. Looks like Hugo is overclocking it a bit, perhaps to remove slowdown present in the actual games? I'd leave it in as an option, but for now default to 7.16 for speed.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
dreamcastninja
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dreamcastninja »

tg-16 was the best system! I had one i got from a video rental store with box multi-player thing controllers, and about 60 games. I'm kicking myself in the a$$ right now :(

splatterhouse, bloody wolf, YES I LOVED KEITH COURAGE, bonk, bomberman, the list goes on... :( sooo sad
dreamcastninja
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by dreamcastninja »

oh and FNAL LAP TWIN!!!!!!
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

Ex-Cyber wrote:PC Engine had some fairly sweet arcade ports too. At the top of my list is Galaga '88.
The sega Acarde Ports on PCE were better than on there own systems :o
rbenchley
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by rbenchley »

The sega Acarde Ports on PCE were better than on there own systems
That's true except for the godawful port of Golden Axe. All of the Sega ports were fantastic except for that turd. It looks like a crappy port of the Sega Master System version of Golden Axe.
Honesty may be the best policy, but it's important to remember that apparently, by elimination, dishonesty is the second-best policy.
-George Carlin
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

rbenchley wrote:That's true except for the godawful port of Golden Axe.
Ive kinda blanked that one out. Dont forget Some great ports of Konami and Capcom games too. Man I love PCE :P
mjzhen88
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by mjzhen88 »

pce is good and best
i am is china dc fans
bakwardbob
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by bakwardbob »

The SNES had plenty of good titles right after launch. Two of my favorites were Super Mario World and Super Ghouls and Ghosts. The thing that kept Genesis going strong was its sports titles and a couple of good RGP series.

The cost of SNES was the main issue at first and the fact the it was still just children playing the games at the time and they did not have the means to pay for another system or buy a system that none of their friends had. Who wanted a system they could not trade games with their friends with.

The SNES really did start taking off when it went into the price wars with the Genesis. Or at least that is how I remember it.
Game Collector
Strapping Scherzo
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Strapping Scherzo »

I got my SNES for christmas in '91. I remember playing lots of games before I started injecting Street Fighter 2 directly into my bloodstream (and ditching HS to do so). F-Zero, Pilotwings, Super Castlevania to name a few. To me, SNES was easily a better system. I didn't care if the Genesis had a faster processor. It's music was too metallic and SNES's mode7 really made the biggest difference for me. The only thing that Genesis consistently beat SNES in was sports games.
Clessy
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Clessy »

And the fact that Phantasy Star 4 is better than any RPG on Snes. I guess that totally opinional. And the sonic series was better than mario to me also.
SE! SE! SE! Believe the hype!
Ex-Cyber
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Ex-Cyber »

The only thing that Genesis consistently beat SNES in was sports games.
Also shooters, which is one genre where not having a faster processor absolutely hurts the game because so many sprites have to be updated and collisions detected. There are some good shooters on SNES, but only a handful, and they tend to be a bit heavy on the slowdown (R-Type 3: The Third Lightning is probably the best one from a technical standpoint, and they probably tweaked the hell out of it to get it as smooth as it turned out).
"You know, I have a great, wonderful, really original method of teaching antitrust law, and it kept 80 percent of the students awake. They learned things. It was fabulous." -- Justice Stephen Breyer
Yonke
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by Yonke »

Sorrie wrote:And the fact that Phantasy Star 4 is better than any RPG on Snes.
Not better than final fantasy 3 and chronotriger..............
DaMadFiddler
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by DaMadFiddler »

Hrm...it seems this string of posts has been surgically removed and transplanted to Off-Topic as its own independent issue.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

DaMadFiddler wrote:Hrm...it seems this string of posts has been surgically removed and transplanted to Off-Topic as its own independent issue.
metafox seemed to think that the Hugo topic needed to be trimmed down.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

I personally owned a Genesis during the 16-bit era. While the TG-16 might have been a more powerful system, it was expensive and not as popular as the SNES or Genesis. All in all when I look back on it I honestly can't say, when taking all facts into consideration, if the SNES or Genesis was better. Hardware wise Id say SNES wins, game wise they both had a lot of good titles.

At first I wanted a SNEs. However I managed to do a temp trade with a friend at school. I loaned him 5 popular NES games and he loaned me his SNES with Mario World and Ultraman. While Ultraman was a POS game, I played the heck out of SMW. Anyways after about 2 months we traded back. Also during this time I managed to play Sonic 1 at a friends house.

However I was sick of SMW since I had played the game to death so when Christmas came around I asked for a Genesis.
Wii number: 1227 6854 1080 3665
farrell2k
DCEmu Fan
DCEmu Fan

Post by farrell2k »

Super star soldier on the pce is still one of the best shmups around, and cosmic fantasy 2 is probably one of the cooler rpgs.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

quzar wrote:
DaMadFiddler wrote:Hrm...it seems this string of posts has been surgically removed and transplanted to Off-Topic as its own independent issue.
metafox seemed to think that the Hugo topic needed to be trimmed down.
Yeah. The Street Fighter II discussion was a must-split, this console discussion topic was more or less an afterthought. :P