DC Video Question

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

DC Video Question

Post by Matisfaction »

If i get the VGA box i can play almost every DC game on it?

Reason im askin is ive got an RGB TV but i got a few jap games that are not RGB compatable and some dont even work with my RF cable. So ive either gotta get a SVHS compatable TV, or get a cheap VGA monitor off Ebay or somethin..............
aisupikku
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by aisupikku »

I am not sure of this myself, but, I believe that VGA and RGB support is synonymous... If a game does not support RGB, then, it could not support VGA because of VGA using RGB as well. I may be mistaken...

I believe that the RF adapter uses composite video and converts it to radio frequency. I thought that all games supported composite video!
« ˆˆ -ˆ-ˆ ˆ » [ Let's help! Trizeal DC ]
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

My copy of Fire Pro D doesnt work with RF or RGB but it says on the back of the Box its VGA compatable so i dunno?
dj898
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by dj898 »

I don't think VGA and RGB support are the same thing. I've heard some titles support VGA but no RGB and vice versa...

then again I could talking thru my a**. :p

cheers
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

They have differente frequencies I believe.
THAN/THEN get it right peoples!
someoneElse
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by someoneElse »

For a lot of the games that 'don't support' RGB or VGA modes, you can try the switch/unplug trick in case the game does in fact work in those modes, but was stupidly left disabled for one reason or another.

Start up the Dreamcast with the VGA box/RGB cable unplugged or switched to S-video/Composite (VGA box), then about the time you would have the bouncing dreamcast logo with the loading sound, plug the cable back in/switch to VGA mode. It helps if you are able to hear the startup sounds while the video is switched over, if not you have to work out the timing on your own.

This method works more often than you'd think. Very useful for those games that actually CAN work in those modes but have them disabled, as mentioned above. Of course there are still games that are just incapable of producing those signals at all, but there seems to be a lot fewer of those than the ones that can be tricked into VGA/RGB modes.
Can you survive Darwin's Blade? Sign up Today
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

So if i get this Image

Any VGA monitors i should Stay away from?
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Matisfaction wrote:So if i get this Image

Any VGA monitors i should Stay away from?
any VGA monitor should work with it. I would personally advice against using LCDs as they tend to look really fuzzy at low resolutions.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
MaximumZero
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by MaximumZero »

[quote="Matisfaction"]So if i get this [img]http://members.iinet.net.au/~thebunny/ebay/3954-fs.jpg[/img]

Any VGA monitors i should Stay away from?[/quote]

If you get teh Sunday newspaper, check out the Best Buy, Office Depot, and Office Max ads. Typically you can get a pretty nice 17"-19" CRT monitor for sub-$100 levels. (Usually somewhere between $70-$100)
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

wait, If i use the Composite outputs on the side, can i run non RGB games on my TV? (eg. SSFIIX) or am i tryin to be too clever.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Matisfaction wrote:wait, If i use the Composite outputs on the side, can i run non RGB games on my TV? (eg. SSFIIX) or am i tryin to be too clever.
yup. that is one of the advantages of having a box like that as opposed to just the cable.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Matisfaction
I can't get no.....

Post by Matisfaction »

quzar wrote:yup. that is one of the advantages of having a box like that as opposed to just the cable.
Oh My God!!! :o :D
TheWanderer
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by TheWanderer »

Yup, that box also has a place for A/V and S Video (well mine does, anyhow), so you can have it hooked to your TV and Moniter simaltaneously. If a game doesn't support VGA, just hit a switch on the box and you can play on the TV. Sweet, especially for lazy people like me! :wink:
Dreamcast: It's thinking. And it thinks you suck.