Lunkin's Journey updates

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by law56ker »

keep up the good work and don't push it out until your happy and think it's polished.
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator
Been thanked: 0

Post by ajay() »

Cheers :)

Hard at work on level four - it's got some, imho, cool stuff, especially related to story progression (prob not too sphisticated, but hey it's me) and I can't wait to get the lighting right, to post some screenshots - the lighting will probably make or break it visually. So with my lighting skills, that's a broken map then :) :(
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Don't be so hard on yourself, Ajay. I see that your mapping skills are getting better with time - Bulldog Stadium's maps are very good :D - and I'm sure I won't be disappointed with Lunkin's maps.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

ajay() wrote:Cheers :)

Hard at work on level four - it's got some, imho, cool stuff, especially related to story progression (prob not too sphisticated, but hey it's me) and I can't wait to get the lighting right, to post some screenshots - the lighting will probably make or break it visually. So with my lighting skills, that's a broken map then :) :(
Just keep on working and learning and experimenting. That way you will keep on getting better, I think trying to get a unstuctured organic look is important and of course the lighting just like you said. Keep working hard and keep everything polished how you want it, one thing on a level can make or break the look. So far I think they look very nice.
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

Thanks again :)

Right I'm gonna share a little background and details on LJ, without giving too much away of course.

Lunkin is a (for initially unknown reasons) a goblin that's been seperated from the main village, and is kinda disliked by all.

His area of goblin world is seperated by a tunnel (tunnels link most, though not all, levels in LJ, it's more of an interesting game "feature" than any lazy mapping on my part, to seperate levels, of course) from the main goblin village. It's guarded by a goblin, although getting by him is not impossible.

As well as most other goblins, dogs REALLY hate Lunkin, and will attack him whenever he comes near. Now it's no big spoiler to tell you that killing dogs boosts you attack power, as well gaining you the lightning sparks that they drop. Now it's important that you deal with as many dogs as possible, not only to gain sparks, but also because your attack power starts off fairly low, and you need to boost it before dealing with more powerful enemies.

All enemies will gain you an increase in attack power, larger amounts for more difficult enemies.
However killing other NPC's will resort in a lowering of attack power, so avoid it.
Some NPC's may be annoying, but if they don't threaten you then don't kill them!

Also in the goblin village are soldier goblins, they're rock hard and powerful, and if you ever succesfully kill one you get 5 times as much power added to you attack than with dogs.

There's a kind of (fairly cliched I admit) storyline that develops, and more enemies and friends to meet. There's other pick ups, health etc, and even some humans to meet.

As Ive said I'm onto the 4th level, which is set in a small forest, with a new enemy and an important character to meet. I'm whizzing through the game faster than I imagined, but I reckon it's about 9 months, or so at the current rate, from completion.
ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

It's sounding great.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

The Epic Lunkin's Journey ;)
It's getting better and better each post of ajay(), can't wait to see.
It's looking like a zelda/evil twin stylish game.
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

That does make it sound pretty darn good there ajay

keep it up!
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

Image Image Image Image

Images of the pretty much complete 4th level. It's clumsy, but does a couple of things I'm really pleased with.
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Lookin' good ajay, I'm seeing some fullbrights in the first screenshot so you might wanna investigate into that. I like the forest and the trees in the 4th screenshot, very nice I'm looking forward to the mod! Oh, be sure to replace the quake guys jump sound, I noticed in the avi demo you made that he still sounds like the quake guy.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Post by Zealous zerotype »

Hey good work man.Also is he suppost to look almost completly black?
SCO=SCUM=M$=SCO it keeps repeating :P
i'm a randite :worship:
DYTDMFBSB?
There must have been some mistake
I'm not the one who should be saved
My divinity has been denied
Mary and me were both fucked by God
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

zerotype: I'm pretty sure it's the maps lighting combined with the low gamma of the screenshots.
"I'm convinced RenegadeC is in fact not a human, but rather an experimental IRC/QuakeC bot who has the ability to randomly formulate mods and code them, programmed to have a distinct Canadian personality as well."
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

Ok just wondering,seeing if it wasnt me monitor
DYTDMFBSB?
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

It's meant to be dark :) It's a dark gloomy forest.

Fullbrights fixed.

If you think the forest is dark, wait until the caves ;)

They will be some sunny daytime levels soon ...
Tyne
Pimp DC Devver
Pimp DC Devver

Post by Tyne »

Maybe you can add a torch that lunkin can hold that you can find during the game? It'd be neat and helpful - also a good use of quake's dynamic lighting.
Just a suggestion. :)
Zealous zerotype
zerotype

I do not mean the levels they are fine.i mean the actual charter he looks bacl in the screen shots,however in your sig he looks a nice green.
DYTDMFBSB?
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

Yeah, zerotype, I don't know what's with that (character) it is dark. It wasn't like that when I had my voodoo3 card!

Tyne: there's not a torch but there is a little dynamic lighting thingy already in. Mostly used in the caves/tunnels levels I'm doing now.
For scary effect. Hopefully.
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

:( and i presume it'll be so bad runing in winquake. and i thought i wouldn't need a new gfx card unless i wanted to play ut2k3 (i won't for sure)
ajay()
Raptors Creator
Raptors Creator

Post by ajay() »

Winquake ain't so bad. The "blacking out" of textures, is very temporary and only in a couple of places in one level.

The picture below shows it, the first the blacked out textures, and then, two steps later, that they've returned properly.

Framerates are fine, and it remains playable, imo.

ace
Forum ace
Forum ace

Post by ace »

hmmm doesn't look too shabby in software quake.