conect mobile in Dreamcast?????

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
cristfc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

conect mobile in Dreamcast?????

Post by cristfc »

i dont have a house phone, but i have a mobile phone, its nokia 3100, is possible to conect it to Dreamcast for make internet connection using GPRS/GSM tech ? :?
Again, Legendary Levels return!!
Arqueiro
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Re: conect mobile in Dreamcast?????

Post by Arqueiro »

cristfc wrote:i dont have a house phone, but i have a mobile phone, its nokia 3100, is possible to conect it to Dreamcast for make internet connection using GPRS/GSM tech ? :?
`
hey cara, seja bem vindo ao forum :)

acho q eh possivel, dependendo do fone, se ele der o sinal de linha o dc detecta !

falow
3d graphics and visualization ?
http://www.arquiteturadigital.com
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

Possible for homebrewn, but it's not likely going to happen. That would involve creating an adaptor for connecting your mobile phone to the DC Serial port (something similar to Coder's Cable). Then you could use GPRS with applications coded to support it, but I don't know of any apps supporting this kind of connection.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Re: conect mobile in Dreamcast?????

Post by Quzar »

Arqueiro wrote:
cristfc wrote:i dont have a house phone, but i have a mobile phone, its nokia 3100, is possible to conect it to Dreamcast for make internet connection using GPRS/GSM tech ? :?
`
hey cara, seja bem vindo ao forum :)

acho q eh possivel, dependendo do fone, se ele der o sinal de linha o dc detecta !

falow
yea, it really does depend on the phone that is being used and wether or not it detects the signal. If it works with any modem, then it will probably work. Best advice... try it yourself =).
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

I've tried something similar with my Motorola CDMA phone, v120, no luck. The only adapter that would let you plug your DC's normal modem into the phone won't support data conenctions (BELIEVE ME, I'VE TRIED).

There's really no way to do this. If you have a PC or laptop in between the two, then it'd be possible, but not with just the DC.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

if your cell phone has a handsfree jack (the headphone like jack), you could easily wire up something to go between that and the telephone jack on the dc. then just set up the DC to blind dial and dial out the number manually on the phone before dialing out on the DC.

whether or not this works, i dunno. ive never tried. i suspect the prblem with line votlage coming into play, but im not sure.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

If the mobile supports standard AT commands, it should be possible to make an adapter (using a MAX---- IC) to connect it to the DC standard serial port. Then you should be able to use GPRS with commands:

AT
[whatever AT configuration command you want, like ATE0, ATX4, or what you want]
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","yourisp.whatever",,0,0
ATD*99#

Then you should receive the "CONNECT" string, start a PPP session and bingo!, you can send and receive IP datagrams. I don't know why this could not work. I have used a SonyEricsson T39 and a T610 with a DSP to connect to Internet via GPRS using this method and worked fine. Also used these phones with my iPaq PDA.
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

if your cell phone has a handsfree jack (the headphone like jack), you could easily wire up something to go between that and the telephone jack on the dc. then just set up the DC to blind dial and dial out the number manually on the phone before dialing out on the DC.

whether or not this works, i dunno. ive never tried. i suspect the prblem with line votlage coming into play, but im not sure.

I've tried exactly what you're talking about. Several things go awry in the process.

1. Lack of proper oscillation tone (dial tone). There is a device that produces a dial tone for Motorola phones, but it is incapable of a data mode. You can buy a personal dial tone oscillator, but they cost about 200 bucks.

2. Doing it that way is physically impossible. The data coming out of the Dreamcast, as well as most other modems, is designed to be phase-modulated onto an Analog voice carrier. Cell phones use various types of voice compression routines to digitalize voice, and in the process, lose the data represented by the sine wave (phase) changes. Even in analog mode, you can't rig something up to work. I've tried everything to accomplish this, and it ain't happening.
If the mobile supports standard AT commands, it should be possible to make an adapter (using a MAX---- IC) to connect it to the DC standard serial port. Then you should be able to use GPRS with commands:

AT
[whatever AT configuration command you want, like ATE0, ATX4, or what you want]
AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","yourisp.whatever",,0,0
ATD*99#

Then you should receive the "CONNECT" string, start a PPP session and bingo!, you can send and receive IP datagrams. I don't know why this could not work. I have used a SonyEricsson T39 and a T610 with a DSP to connect to Internet via GPRS using this method and worked fine. Also used these phones with my iPaq PDA.
That sounds like an interesting idea, I'm going to look into that. I wouldn't advise trying it with a CDMA based phone, and most civilian CDMA based gear will not connect in data mode any faster then 14.4k, due to how CDMA works.
Need a Treamcast, Dreamcast modchip, HUGE DC memory card, ASCII-like DC fighter pad, or Saturn Gameshark with tons of backup memory? PM me.
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

That would work only with GPRS (ATD*99# is a special command to dial your ISP using GPRS). With it you can get pretty decent speeds, as good as a 56K modem, even better for downloading depending on the quality of your phone and the GPRS coverage. I don't know if there's GPRS coverage out of Europe so maybe you should do a different setup to get it working with CDMA or other kind of bearers.

I don't know if I wrote it right, my english sometimes fails me...
fatheadpi
First Class Dick
First Class Dick

Post by fatheadpi »

That would work only with GPRS (ATD*99# is a special command to dial your ISP using GPRS). With it you can get pretty decent speeds, as good as a 56K modem, even better for downloading depending on the quality of your phone and the GPRS coverage. I don't know if there's GPRS coverage out of Europe so maybe you should do a different setup to get it working with CDMA or other kind of bearers.

I don't know if I wrote it right, my english sometimes fails me...
T-Mobile offers the largest US-based GSRM service, and their phones are all GSRM based. It's why they can work in Europe, and why they offer better multimedia services (their own dial-up internet, etc.)

There is a lot of bit-redundancy involved in CDMA (at least the CDMA gear I work with), so I wouldn't expect a cell phone to get any better then 14.4. Ever. My Motorola v120 is data-capable at up to 230 kbps, but a single CDMA carrier at that bandwidth would easily occupy the better part of a T1.

I'm going to look into that when I get out to California, as this idea has intrigued me for the better part of the year. The topic is probably around here someplace, think it was in this forum or the XDP/PSD thread.
revengeofLaEternal
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by revengeofLaEternal »

Some mobile phones require certain number combinations for them to be used as a data modem. For example, I have a sanyo phone and a usb connection cable. I can just plug it into my iBook, tell the os's internet connection settings to dial "#777," and to connect when needed, and that's all I need to do to get internet on the road.

If you can somehow connect your DC to your mobile, try looking into something like that.
cristfc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cristfc »

thanks for help!!
:D

Where i find the cable for connect DC in 3100 or other new Nokia phone model? :roll:

Arqueiro escreve em Portuguese....legal!!!
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

cristfc wrote:Where i find the cable for connect DC in 3100 or other new Nokia phone model? :roll:
There's no such cable!!! You could make it yourself, but it isn't worth the effort as there are no available applications for it right now.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

im just hoping someone can take this idea and actually do something with it. sure would be awesome on long car trips. since we usually take the DC with us.

but most of the cables ive seen to connect phones to pc's connect via usb and i dont think that it can be hooked up to the DC easily enough.
cristfc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cristfc »

If I make a cable, its connect to DC modem or DC port (without modem)?
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

Vchat20 wrote:im just hoping someone can take this idea and actually do something with it. sure would be awesome on long car trips. since we usually take the DC with us.
I have a cable for SonyEricsson mobiles that plugs in the standard serial port. I suppose you still can find them.
Vchat20
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Vchat20 »

well, my cousin's cell phone from verizon has a cable as well, but its USB. to make it worse, i cant even find the driver for it on the net anywhere. was gonna use his phone while he was here a couple weeks ago since both our cable and phone was out, but he forgot his cd and i couldnt find the drivers online so i was sol.

but anyways, onto my next question, any way to convert usb to serial? lol doubt it, but ya never know
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

Vchat20 wrote:but anyways, onto my next question, any way to convert usb to serial? lol doubt it, but ya never know
There are adaptors that plugs in the USB port of your computer and let you connect standard serial port devices, but I have never seen the reverse (an adaptor that connects to the serial port of the computer and let you plug USB devices).
cristfc
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by cristfc »

forgive me but....what is standard serial port?
lucaspiller
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by lucaspiller »

Vchat20 wrote:im just hoping someone can take this idea and actually do something with it. sure would be awesome on long car trips. since we usually take the DC with us.
How long do the batteries last powering the DC and TV? :D