SMEG

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

SMEG

Post by Nico0020 »

I have beeen thinking about downloading SMEG. I have never played a sega master system much. I have one but it does not work anymore. I was wondering what good games there are that are really worth downloading.
Bullet
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
Been thanked: 0

Post by Bullet »

It'll cost you 50 cents to burn and 10 minutes to setup.
So why did you waste 10 minutes thinking about it and 50cents of electricity writing this :o

Why would it be made if it wasn't THE GREATEST THING EVER!!
Bubble Bobble Etc.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

Wonderboy!!!!!!!!!
Alex Kid in Miracle World
Rocky
Phantasy Zone The Maze
Ghostbusters
Psycho Fox
there are many more....
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

The sonic games, which are basically ports of their genesis counterparts. Alex Kidd games, Wonder Boy games, Rambo, After Burner, Hang On..

There are more good games.. Oh yes, don't forget Phantasy Star.
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

Everything that has been mentioned is pretty cool, but you forgot Shinobi !! That game is cool.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

Ghostbusters is a neat game. Also Dracula.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
btrboyev
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by btrboyev »

when is heliophobe gonna finish this emu? All it needs is save support. Its been months.
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

btrboyev wrote:when is heliophobe gonna finish this emu?
I have no idea.

I'll add for recommendations:
Kenseiden
Golvelius
Quartet
Aztec Adventure
R-Type
Outrun
Space Harrier
Fantasy Zone
hisashi joe
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by hisashi joe »

Smeg....hmmmm probably the best emu on the dc....hmmmmm!
The name 'smeg' comes from 'red dwarf' a sci-fi/comedy tv series...but what does smeg mean?
Smeg is in fact the scum that accumilates between the forskin and bellend of a penis if it is not washed regularly......Ack!!!
Good work heliophobe! Shame about the title! Especially when you say to your mates 'wanna see my smeg?'
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

Well, properly that's "Smegma". I think of "Smeg", in terms of Red Dwarf, as sort of a general purpose profanity, in the context of "Oh Sh*t" or "F**k that" - it isn't really meant to be taken literally in that sense, although the origins are obvious.
hisashi joe
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by hisashi joe »

He he! I saw an interview with the writer once he was mentioning about it...so yeah the influence is there!^__^
What you working on right now? Any new DC developments up and comin?
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

There is also "What the smeg is that?"
I wouldnt say its the best emulator on the DC, maybe because I dont think its emulating the best console, allthough the master sytem is damn good. What I can say though is dont get The Ninja, its hard and boring. Which makes it totally crap. But as pointed out, get Alex Kidd In Miracle World because that is excellent, but the series seemed to suffer after that...
hisashi joe
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by hisashi joe »

Well its the best emu on the dc for me!! I had fond memories of my sms when I was a kid!
And in terms of peformance smeg out peforms the uk sms connected to a naff RF lead (oh! the humanity!).
I agree on the alex kidd series.....and the ninja does suck....I know some japanese guy who can complete it in one sitting.......strange!
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

The Ninja is only boring in the sense that getting killed all the time is boring. It's one of those games that is harder than it has any right to be, but if you're a masochist and really enjoy mastering a nigh-impossible game so you look like a pro, The Ninja is for you.

It's for the hardcore Japanese gamer.

Oh, by the way, favorite system notwithstanding, would you say NesterDC is better than Smeg now? It seems to have better features and does the fullscreen/fullspeed/no frameskipping thing, but I've only read the news updates, I haven't bothered burning it because I only have about four NES roms and it didn't seem worth it.

I would expect it to be better than Smeg, with all the work this guy puts into it.
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

hisashi joe wrote: What you working on right now? Any new DC developments up and comin?
Nope, just stuff for work right now.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

guys... you *DID* know that you can do a teleport move and be invincible for a couple of seconds in The Ninja right?

as people forget so easily:
Shinobi
Spy Vs Spy
Thunderblade

:P
Toog
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Toog »

Dr_Wily wrote:guys... you *DID* know that you can do a teleport move and be invincible for a couple of seconds in The Ninja right?
Yeah, and one button always shoots toward the top of the screen, regardless of which way you are facing. This allows you to strafe and attack while retreating. I found the game extremely hard until I discovered this.

Don't forget Fantasy Zone 2 :wink:
hisashi joe
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by hisashi joe »

Uh yeah but its not like the teleport was much help ^__^
Heliophobe...Both nester and frnes are pretty damn good.Cant compare it to smeg thats too difficult. I find smeg a simple straight forward emu that does its job and does it very well...Nester & frnes again are great peformers with a few extras here and there (some games with frnes require a tnker with frameskip)... I guess it depends if the nes is your thing!
That new gameboy emu is very surprising I was well impressed with it...
Shame that no-one has yet gave a good go at a PC-ENGINE/TG16 emu that was the greatest (in my own twisted opinion!).darc DC was a promising start..source code is available...Maybe I outta learn to program!
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

Now that we are rambling about the beloved SMEG here, how do you pronounce it? I always say: esmek. BTW I'm not especially waiting for save support, more for the great new sound. Have you heard that Alex Kid sound example on the official page? Ohh... the memories..
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
Dr. Zoidberg
The Filth
The Filth

Post by Dr. Zoidberg »

Captain Skyhawk wrote:Now that we are rambling about the beloved SMEG here, how do you pronounce it?
The same way they pronounce it on Red Dwarf, it's like the name "Meg" with an "s" in front of it, rhymes with "beg".