OK! I'm attempting the PC-DC Server, but I NEED YOUR HELP!

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

OK! I'm attempting the PC-DC Server, but I NEED YOUR HELP!

Post by Gundam ZZ »

OK! I'm attemping the PC-DC Server, but I NEED YOUR HELP.

Last Message about this Quotes (dont want to bump it :wink:)
I wrote:This is what I want. I have Alien Front Online and NFL2K1 which I want to go online with. Now, I cannot use the Dreamcast Modem, I have no modem in my PC, only a Broadband adapter and a Broadband Connection. I've only Played PSO online, and I use the BBA, hooked up by a cord, into my broadband box thing. But I'm dying (kinda). I am desperate for some AFO Killin' and some Football Grillin' (<---That rhymes). So can someone cook up a method to make the Dreamcast Broadband Adapter work with AFO and NFL2K1. After all, Broadband and 56K is just a speed. It's not like its an entirely different idea of getting online. I know you guys are smart people. You've made games, emulators, and movie players. You've Ported stuff, modded stuff, and dreamt up stuff. Please, Please, PLEASE get Broadband to work with these games, if not all games. I'm dying over here (kinda).
killmestupid wrote:Impossible. Those games do not have to proper programming to support the broadband adapter. You're going to have to buy a 56k modem for your computer...
Keep in mind, my ISP does not suppport Dial-up, thats why I need to get this PC-DC server thing working.
perry2175 wrote:Yea, it is not the BB that dosen't support the games, Its tha games that don't support the BB.

Why can't you just plug your DC directly into a phone line ?
iantri wrote:Because he doesn't have a dial-up ISP.
bailey wrote:whats the pc-dc server thing?
iantry wrote:The DC-PC server is a setup that allows you to use your high-speed internet connection on the DC (albeit at 56k speeds), if you don't have a dial-up ISP.

Many, many people have trouble doing it so you absolutely MUST know what you are doing.

http://consolevision.com/mterlouw/

is the link.

Yes, it works.

And by the way, to the poster, yes, it is VERY much a different way of getting online. Cable internet access, is, essentially (as I understand it, correct me if wrong) TCP/IP over your cable line.

Dial-up is TCP/IP over phone line, using PPP (Point-to-Point Protocol).

Not to mention the way they are programmed is completely difference.

I'd recommend just picking up a crappy Winmodem. I can get a crap noname winmodem for $20 in the Canadian Peso , so that should be pocket change to an American.
I'm going to attempt this PC-DC Server thing. I found a 56k modem lying around that came packaged with some software, so i'm going to use that.

I'm gonna post screenshots, put every single thing i do on here, to be sure i didn't miss anything. Check back in a bit- I really need to play some NFL and AFO.

- ~Gundam ZZ~
"Never try to teach a Pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig"
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

Off of http://www.consolevision.com/mterlouw:

Introduction

Have you ever wanted to share your PC's internet connection with your Dreamcast? Maybe you want to be able to use both at the same time. Or maybe you have a broadband connection to your PC and want to let your Dreamcast share it, but don't want to spend money on the DC Broadband Adapter. There are many good reasons to set up a Dreamcast server on your PC, but it's not necessarily an easy thing to do. This guide is here to help you get everything set up.

Disclaimer

The information presented on this website is provided AS-IS. Please do not send me email with questions on why this didn't work for you. Use Google and try to figure it out.

Setting this up on a Windows 2000 or XP system is a bit harder than on a Windows 9x system. It may require more technical skills, and a modem/networking background.

Read through the ENTIRE guide before you do ANYTHING! If you are not confident in setting this up then DO NOT attempt it! I am not responsible for any damage you may do to your computer, Dreamcast, yourself, or your data.

Here are some common situations where you might consider setting up your Windows PC as a Dreamcast server:

You want to be able to play Dreamcast games online, or browse the web on the DC and still be able to use the internet on your PC at the same time.

You have broadband service to your PC, you want to connect your Dreamcast via broadband, but don't want to buy a Broadband Adapter.

You want to share your PC's broadband connection with your Dreamcast, but don't want to spend money on a hardware router or hub.

You already have Broadband, and don't want to spend more money on a dial-up ISP to play games.

You're sick of tying up the phone line playing online games.

You would like to play a game over broadband, but it's only designed for 56k.

Now here are some advantages and disadvantages to creating a setup like this:

Advantages:

You save money on hardware to connect your Dreamcast via broadband (don't have to buy the BBA or a hub).

You won't tie up your phone line for hours at a time by using a dial-up ISP (assuming your PC has broadband).

You get less lag by using a broadband connection.

You can share a single internet connection between the Dreamcast and your PC.

Disadvantages:

A 56k modem in your PC will only connect to the Dreamcast at 33.6k/bps max. This is because the upload speed on a 56k modem is capped at 33.6k, and that is what you're basically doing: uploading information to the Dreamcast. This isn't as bad as it seems, though, because 56k modems rarely if ever connect at the full 56k over a phone line. The data is traveling nowhere near as far either, which means less data loss because of line noise. And if you're using broadband, the data will stream into the Dreamcast at a full 33.6k/s without the lag that is characteristic of dial-up connections. In case you're wondering, PSO works great in this setup; 33.6k is more than enough bandwidth to play online.

It takes some work to get it set up. It also takes some effort to get connected every time you want to play. It's easy after you've done it a few times, but not as easy as just switching on your Dreamcast and letting it do all the work for you.

It will take some processor bandwidth from your PC to do the Net Address Translation. There is no noticeable slowdown in my system, though (PIII 700MHz, 128Mb RAM).

It will drain some internet bandwidth from your PC. This is not even an issue if you're using broadband.

If you think this is something that could benefit you, then read on...and get ready to get your hands dirty! You can use the list box at the top of the page to navigate through the pages of this guide.

Setting the Dreamcast's ISP Settings
Before your Dreamcast can dial into your computer, you need to configure it with special ISP settings. I'll walk you through how to set it up using the PlanetWeb Browser.

First boot up the Dreamcast Web Browser. When you're at the title screen, press start to get the control panel, and select 'Options'. Then select Internet Connection.

I used the Official Sega Dreamcast Magazine demo disk (Dec 2000, Volume 9) and used the included Planetweb Web Browser Version 2.0.
When at the title screen, i am prompted to press "start". I do. Then I pressed start and went to options.

Image Image

I went to Internet Connection afterwards.

You will be presented with a three-tabbed form. The first tab is called Basic Info, and should be configured as follows:

Your Real Name - Put whatever you want here, but don't leave it blank.

User Login - Put whatever you want here, and remember it for when you're setting up the PC.

Password - Put whatever you want here, and remember it for when you're setting up the PC.

Dial Up Number - You have to put in at least one digit here.

Backup Number - Leave this blank.

DNS1 & DNS2 - Put the IPs of your domain name servers here. If you don't know them you can get them from WINIPCFG (Windows 9x) or WNTIPCFG (Windows 2000/XP). Go to the Start Menu, select Run, and type in winipcfg or (wntipcfg) and hit enter. When the dialog box comes up you should see your first DNS IP address. If you have more than one you can cycle through them by hitting the ... button.

Ok:
For "Your Real Name", I put Joel, my name.
For "user login", i put gundamzz0079
For "password" i put a password.
For "dial-up number", i put the number "8".
And I left back-up number blank.

Then I hit start. On the next page, I put

Modem Init - "AT&F0"
Dial - Tone
Dial area code - Off
Blind Dial - On

And on the final Page, i put "no" where it says "Use Proxy"

Then I hit "Save" on the main Menu

End of step one for me. Step two next post.
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

Setting up Windows for the Connection

The first thing you need to do is make sure Windows Dial-up Server is installed. To do this go to the control panel and select Add/Remove Programs. Click the Windows Setup tab and open up Communications. Find Dial-up Server and check the box next to it if it's not already. Click OK and exit out of Add/Remove Programs. If Dial-up Server was not installed already it will be installed and you will be prompted to reboot. Go ahead and reboot if necessary.

My desktop at this time

The Communications tab *Above*

The Dial-up server was already installed.

Next, make a shortcut on the desktop to the Dial-up Server configuration. You can do this by right-clicking on the desktop, and select New/Shortcut. In the dialog box enter C:\WINDOWS\RUNDLL32.EXE RNASERV.DLL,CallerAccess. This will give you quick access to the Dial-up Server.

Done and Done.

Now open up Dial-up server properties by using the shortcut you just made. Click the radio button next to Allow caller access and click Change Password. Set this password to the same thing you typed in the Basic Info tab of the internet options on the Dreamcast Web Browser.

Now click on Server Type and select PPP: Internet for the type of Dial-up Server. Click Enable software compression and unclick Require encrypted password. Click OK, then go back and click No caller access in the main Dial-up Server dialog box, and then click Apply.

Did that.

In order to trick the Windows Dial-up Server to pick up the line when the phone line is not ringing, you have to enter the standard modem answer command into the registry. Open the Registry Editor and browse your way to:

"My Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Class\Modem\0000\Monitor".

If you have more than one modem installed you might not want "0000". Find to whatever one you're using for the Dial-up Server. Now set setting 2 to "ATA<cr>", so that it looks like the picture below.

I did that the last time i tried the dial up server, and checked it again this time, and it was as the picture above showed.

Ok, now Dial-up Server is ready to go!

Good!

Turning the Connection On:

To make Windows pick up the line and establish a connection, you will have to enable caller access through the Dial-up Server. Just open up the Dial-up Server configuration dialog box, and when the Dreamcast is dialing out, click Allow caller access, and then click either the Ok or Apply buttons. You can see what a successful connection looks like in the picture below.

Turning the Connection Off:

To disconnect the Dreamcast connection just open up the Dial-up Server configuration dialog box and select No caller access, and click Ok or Apply.

Done this step. Step 3 to come.
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

By the way, for the pictures of my desktop above, you have to right click, copy the site into the address bar and hit enter. That or you could try hitting the refresh button. :D
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

This part looks like its going to be the worst of all... :(

Setting up WinRoute
If you want to use your Dreamcast server to do more than just surf the internet or email, you need to install a program to do the Net Address Translation required by most online games. I use a program called WinRoute Lite in these examples because it's one of the few that actually work with the dial-in connection, and it's easy to setup. You can also use the Professional version of WinRoute, and you may have to as I've been told some DSL or PPPoE setups won't work with the Lite version.

Download the software from Kerio Technology's website and install it. After installation you may be prompted to reboot the system, so go ahead and reboot.[/i]

I'm going to use WinRoute Lite.

WinRoute Lite Setup

To configure WinRoute Lite is easy. Open up the Administration dialog box and go to the Settings tab. Make sure you have the proper adapter selected for your internet connection.

Note here: The last time i tried this PC-DC server, I had WinRoute lite installed and left it on for 30 days, so the evaluation period had expired. It still is, and i'm not sure if that's going to affect this. If it is, tell me what I should do.

Note again: in the pic, it says that the Network Adapter is the 3Com EtherLink PCI. My network adapter is the "Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet Card". Just to let you know, just in case.

Your PC is now ready to connect to your Dreamcast, but if you want to play online games, you're going to need to know how to setup port mappings. I'll show you how to configure the port mapping for Phantasy Star Online and PSO Version 2. If you try other games and they're not working, you can try this.

To connect Phantasy Star Online, you have to make one more change in WinRoute Lite. In the Administration dialog box, on the Settings tab (see picture above), click the button labeled Settings in the Advanced Settings section. Here you must create a port mapping to help the PSO servers find your Dreamcast. Click Add, and then map the ports 40975, 41231, 41487, or 41743 (or you can just map a range that includes those ports) to whatever IP address the Dial-up Server uses.

I have a BBA, so PSO isn't my first choice for using this thing. But since this is the example, i'm going to use PSO to do this. Just to see if it works.

OK, here is the guy's WinRoute Lite to configure PSO.

I went to Settings, then Settings under Advanced Settings ( :roll: ) . Then clicked on "Port Mapping". The last guide that the PC-DC server dude made was way different, but he said to get the IP address for it. The IP address was "198.168.55.2". I made the 4 Phantasy Star Online Ports (40975, 41231, 41487, 41743). Then i clicked "OK".

[quote=PC-DC Server site]Here you must create a port mapping to help the PSO servers find your Dreamcast. Click Add, and then map the ports 40975, 41231, 41487, or 41743 (or you can just map a range that includes those ports) to whatever IP address the Dial-up Server uses.
[/quote]

I'm not sure if I got the IP address right... if ill come back to here.

If you don't know the IP address, you'll have to first establish a connection and then look at the Active Connections in WinRoute's dialog box (in the picture below, it would be 192.168.1.2).

The picture above is again the Guy's setup.

Next, it goes on to describe how to Set up winroute Pro. I don't need it so i'm going to skip this part.

Now you're ready to make the connection :)

Good...!

Next Step, next post.
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

Ok...now its time :D !

But wow, this looks tough :o.

Establishing a Connection
When you're done setting everything up, you're ready to establish a connection between the computer and your Dreamcast. The first thing you need to do here is hook your DC up to your computer's modem.

Although I have now upgraded to SaskTel high-speed internet, i left a 56K Dial-Up modem in my computer. The High Speed hooks into a seperate black box. I have to replace the Broadband Adapter from the Dreamcast with the normal Modem, and I need to get the new cord down here as well. Ok done. The Modem has the cord in the DC and it is now in the PC.

This is really easy but some people manage to get confused here for some reason. Plug one end of the phone cord into the Dreamcast modem, and the other into your PC's modem. If you're having trouble, pretend for a minute it's 1995 and you're connecting to America Online. Connect your computer's modem to the wall jack the way you normally do, and then backhand your sister for hogging the phone line for the last three hours. You have a 5Mb file to download and your expecting an important call in about two hours so there's no time to lose! And it's almost the first of the month so you have to hurry up and cancel the AOL account so you can crack open another one of their so-called "free trial" CDs. Ok, snap back to reality now. Take the phone cord out of the wall jack and connect it to your Dreamcast's modem. Now apologize to your sister for getting caught up in the moment and hitting her for real. But who cares about her, we're all hooked up and have a connection to make : )

"Take the phone cord out of the wall jack and connect it to your Dreamcast's modem"? What? I hope that is nothing relevant, because I'm skipping it.

You're going to have to do a little work now to get this connection up, but after you do it a couple times it becomes second nature. Basically you get the Dreamcast to connect the way it normally does. No matter what you're trying to do (i.e. browse the web, email, play PSO or NFL2k2) just make the DC dial out the way you normally would. If you have problems with the Dreamcast saying it can't detect a dial tone, you're going to have to do some juggling to get it to connect. This is just because of the way certain games are programmed; they don't support blind-dialing (dialing without a dial tone). In this case you're going to have to plug your DC into a live phone jack to get the dial tone. Then after the Dreamcast begins dialing, switch the cord back to the PC.

After the Dreamcast has begun dialing, you can open up the modem on the PC. This step is different depending on the version of Windows you're running and the connection method you've chosen. In case you need a refresher on how to do this, you can select your OS from the box below and it will take you back to where the instructions are given. Also if you're looking for a good tool to automate the process of connecting/disconnecting I highly recommend Girder.

If you're having problems connecting, and you suspect it may be a problem with the Dreamcast modem, you may be right. Some Dreamcasts were shipped with modems that rely on the voltage of a live phone line to work properly. There is a workaround for this, the so-called Line Voltage Simulator. The discovery of the problem is credited to Jon Nehman, and the device was concocted by Michael Nolan and his (unnamed) brother. I'll quote Michael's original email below. Michael Nolan's directions are a bit off, but thanks to RVWinkle we have the corrected directions printed below. If you're going to build one of these you should check out RVWinkle's website.

Just checked, and my Dreamcast was made September 1999, so there shouldn't be a problem with that date thing.
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

*Grumble* it doesn't work!

... This is all i can think of right now. Why doesn't someone go into a specific game's code (ie NFL2K1, Alien Front Online) and MAKE it work with the broadband adapter. The Dreamcast's Modem has left me unfufilled....

I spent a Whole afternoon on this.... :evil:

Maybe you could do the above suggestion with a DC's Coder Cable?
Gmc
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Gmc »

Are you able to connect using the Planetweb Browser?

If you cant, you need to do the wall jack thing, or get a line voltage simulator.
And as far as I know, only the US Lauch models work 100% with this, and NO PAL DC modems support it, and I cant even get the parts FOR the line voltage simulator (Damn you england!).
EvilSporkMan
God Of All Things Sporkish

Post by EvilSporkMan »

don't worry Gundam, it doesn't work for me either, and i'm pretty darn sure my modem works fine (connects, but PC hangs up immediately). That's just the way things go i guess. :?
You can go anywhere you want if you look serious and carry a clipboard.
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

Yeah, it's frusterating, but thats the way it goes. I wish there was an easier way for this :( .
Massive Quasars
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Massive Quasars

Post by Massive Quasars »

here's a tip.. save the trouble and don't even try it

it's quite frustrating getting DC online through this route.. i spent many hours one weekend trying many different possibilities.. all to no avail

if you're on WinXp don't try it... the new "simplified GUI" and extra dumbed down features make it hard to get to work

on win2k it maybe easier because you have more flexibility.. but it still remains a hard task at that

i don't know of anyone personally who was able to bring the DC online this way

in conclusion.. screw it and be happy you play DC multiplayer games with your friends.. life too short to fret over this waste of time
invisa-ninja
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

Gundam ZZ wrote:*Grumble* it doesn't work!

... This is all i can think of right now. Why doesn't someone go into a specific game's code (ie NFL2K1, Alien Front Online) and MAKE it work with the broadband adapter. The Dreamcast's Modem has left me unfufilled....

I spent a Whole afternoon on this.... :evil:

Maybe you could do the above suggestion with a DC's Coder Cable?
Yes, I am quoting myself :wink: .
Gundam ZZ again :lol: wrote:Why doesn't someone go into a specific game's code (ie NFL2K1, Alien Front Online) and MAKE it work with the broadband adapter. Maybe you could do the above suggestion with a DC's Coder Cable?
That's all i can think of right now :? .
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

bump.
I just read some online reviews of Alien Front Online :cry: .

Help. Me.
mirrorsaw_2000
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mirrorsaw_2000 »

Gundam ZZ wrote:Why doesn't someone go into a specific game's code (ie NFL2K1, Alien Front Online) and MAKE it work with the broadband adapter.
Because these are pre-compiled programs and we don't have the source code?
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

mirrorsaw_2000 wrote:
Gundam ZZ wrote:Why doesn't someone go into a specific game's code (ie NFL2K1, Alien Front Online) and MAKE it work with the broadband adapter.
Because these are pre-compiled programs and we don't have the source code?
Ok, I'm bummed out on this Source Code issue. Could you get it somehow? Would you really need it to make Games like AFO and NFL2K1 to work with the BBA? Answers!
EvilSporkMan

Post by EvilSporkMan »

1. No. 2. Yes.
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

EvilSporkMan wrote:1. No. 2. Yes.
Smooth, Spork. Although that wasn't the answer I wanted to hear :?
Maybe if I asked Sega, they'd be good little boys and girls and give it to me? :roll:

.....This sucks. :evil:
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

Forget about this, its a waste of your time and OUR time. If you can't get it to work the first time, FORGET about IT! This post is getting annoying, and you shouldn't be direct linking to another sites material.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
Gundam ZZ
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Gundam ZZ »

HyperG wrote:Forget about this, its a waste of your time and OUR time.
Other people don't seem as hesitant to help as much as you :? .
HyperG wrote:If you can't get it to work the first time, FORGET about IT!
That's the thing, I'm only having problems with the wall jack thing. Otherwise I'm pretty sure it would work.
HyperG wrote:This post is getting annoying, and you shouldn't be direct linking to another sites material.
If you find this post annoying, then ignore it. It's not like I'm forcing you to help, I'm asking for anyones help who has the time.
EvilSporkMan

Post by EvilSporkMan »

don't mind HyperG, he's a nice guy, just a bit irritable and not fully N00B 1.0-compatable. Sega would be insane to give you the code any time within the decade, and the DC-PC server seems to be rather ornery. Sorry we can't be of service.