Grrr Nintendo.

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

Post by |darc| »

Vchat20 wrote:
perry wrote:I tihnk it's pretty pathetic. I see no way they're loosing money from them.
i agree. in some ways they may have lost money, but every attempt at making a massively multiplayer pokemon game we saw people buying brand new pokemon games just to prepare and plan strategies. now dont tell me they didnt make money off of our game? :roll:
When there's a MMORPG based off of pokemon, who would want to buy a game boy game? Not I. Perfect example.

Stop your damn whining. They have every right to do this, and I don't see why they shouldn't. They don't owe you anything, and you could potentially be taking money away from them.
It's thinking...
OldSkoolGamer
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by OldSkoolGamer »

I remember reading on a Mugen site a long time ago that a character maker tried to contact Capcom before hosting his characters on a website. He said they responded by saying that they considered the characters fanart even though they used ripped sprites.

I don't know how true that is, but I don't remember anyone coming after those character designers.

I can certainly see Nintendo's point, but I would think that they could use these fan games a signs of what some customers may want in new games. Violent Ken in SvC dashes just like one of the more famous Evil Kens from Mugen. He also has almost the exact same stance.

Mugen
SvC

Sadly that was the best SvC pic I could find. Still, you can see that he has one hand held in front of him in both pics.

Edit: Hmm second one may not show so
http://www.vgmuseum.com/end/neogeo/c/svcvke-3.png
Veggita2099
Janitor 2nd Class
Janitor 2nd Class

Post by Veggita2099 »

perry wrote:I tihnk it's pretty pathetic. I see no way they're loosing money from them.
If Nintendo thinks they will lose 1 penny from something they will be asses and do this. Nintendo and Sony are both alike. At least Sega never did get nasty about stupid stuff like this. The Zelda OOT 2D if anything would help OOT sell. Also OOT is pretty much a unprofitable game for them now anyways, and I doubt people are going to not buy OOT cause they played a 2D version of it.

Only thing I will say in there favor is most of those Mario Clones made are pretty much junk, and Id be ashamed to see them too. I know I played one of them made with that gamemaker program and it was crap. However pretty much every one of them clearly state "This game is not made by Nintendo". So I wonder if there going after the people making flash movies with Nintendo charactors now? Plenty of them out there.
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Veggita2099 wrote:
If Nintendo thinks they will lose 1 penny from something they will be asses and do this. Nintendo and Sony are both alike. At least Sega never did get nasty about stupid stuff like this. The Zelda OOT 2D if anything would help OOT sell. Also OOT is pretty much a unprofitable game for them now anyways, and I doubt people are going to not buy OOT cause they played a 2D version of it.

Only thing I will say in there favor is most of those Mario Clones made are pretty much junk, and Id be ashamed to see them too. I know I played one of them made with that gamemaker program and it was crap. However pretty much every one of them clearly state "This game is not made by Nintendo". So I wonder if there going after the people making flash movies with Nintendo charactors now? Plenty of them out there.
Yeah. I mean I could understand if someone was actually remaking a game, but the closest I've seen is a 2D version of an old N64 game that is no longer made.. thus can't be profitable.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

heh - this kinda strikes close to home - i gave dom (aka binary) a few sprites to use in OS Zelda (Open Lynks)
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

You know, silly things like this is why a lot of people stopped liking Metalica. "Hey look our fans...wait a min, what are they playing!! We didn't make that GET THEM!!!!" By the way Darc do you think cover bands at bars should get sued, or pay royalties?
Wagh
Wagh

Post by Wagh »

Orange_Ribbon wrote:You know, silly things like this is why a lot of people stopped liking Metalica. "Hey look our fans...wait a min, what are they playing!! We didn't make that GET THEM!!!!" By the way Darc do you think cover bands at bars should get sued, or pay royalties?
if the bands they're covering want royalties then they should. It's the same principle here. If you're using someone elses work you know they have the right to anything they want with it. You're the one taking a risk. Deal.
Bush and Hussein together in bed
Giving H-E-A-D head
Y'all motherfuckers heard what we said
Billions made and millions dead
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

|darc| wrote:damn them for protecting their ip!!!1
They should use a firewall like everyone else :pimp:
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/19 ... ne_gaming/

Nintendo now own patents that could potentially allow them to sue Microsoft for Xbox Live, and quite probably Sony too. This was filed back when the 64DD was due out, but was only just granted. A lot of people have argued that there is a lot of prior art, going back to the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, and even further.
The Register wrote:The two patents detail a "home video game system with hard disk drive and Internet access capability", but the second filing adds provision for "substantially real-time" online multi-player gaming, connection via an online gaming service, support for online "player performance data", using the connection to download information and do so securely through an authentication process, and the communication across the Net of "audio input signals".
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

Sorry to break this to you, but Nintendo has always been a company first and foremost. No matter what fuzzy, happy, and warm memories you had, they've always been there to make money, not to make you happy. (Of course, consumers happy = more money, but we all know how well Nintendo listens to consumers [cough]online gaming[/cough])
Open Zelda and the lot of them was directly competing with their Four Swords line of products. I, for one, see where they're coming from. Sure, it sucks that they shut them down, but meh... Sega doesn't do this sort of thing because they haven't relied on their classic games like Nintendo.
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by arcticfeather »

Nintendo are just protecting their IP, it's not that bad - all you're missing out in are a few homebrew clones of which there are far too many of. Their move may actually fuel some more originality in the homebrew scene.

At least they were well within their rights to do this, they essentially threatened independant game stores in the UK to remove all import games on sale or they would not be supplied wuth anything from Nintendo - this was a bad move IMO, importing doesn't affect the company as a whole at all, only the sales within that specific region (i.e. Europe) hopefully NOE will wisen up one day. Perhaps soon now that Gosen (sp?) is leaving soon.

(sorry, that turned into a rant, i blame tiredness :P)
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

Apparently (though I don't know how true this is) the issue was over the name, "Ocarina of Time" ... 2D.

Anybody have any new news about this, or where to find it? Like, if and when the site's going back up? Most of the stuff I've found is either this information, or conjecture.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
weeperofsouls
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by weeperofsouls »

its always really smart to go after the hard core fans of your products. its a sure fire way to turn off people in droves.
mankrip
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by mankrip »

Their move may actually fuel some more originality in the homebrew scene.
Well, I agree with that. See, Nintendo can't forbid homebrew developers to make games, so the team who is doing this "Ocarina of Time 2D" can simply change the name of the game and replace the sound and graphics.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh mankrip Hell's end wgah'nagl fhtagn.
==-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-==
Dev blog / Twitter / YouTube
Specially Cork

Post by Specially Cork »

1) About the bands argument. The vast majority of bars, pubs and clubs which allow live acts to play and perform cover versions are members of a royalty organisation. Its a one off annual fee, and allows any and all cover songs to be played live.

2) All nintendo creations have a value. If you use nintendo creations without paying for them and thus without permission, Nintendo are losing money, because you should be paying Nintendo to use them. It doesnt matter what you use them for, if youre not paying to use their ideas, your stealing their ideas and ripping them off.
CoasterKing
Gone Postal...
Gone Postal...

Post by CoasterKing »

Since it is thier own IP they can do whatever they want. I do think it is slightly harsh considering it only affects Nintendo fans but it is thier right to stop the projects using copyrighted material. Lucasarts did a similar thing a couple of years ago IIRC.
az_bont wrote:http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/08/19 ... ne_gaming/

Nintendo now own patents that could potentially allow them to sue Microsoft for Xbox Live, and quite probably Sony too. This was filed back when the 64DD was due out, but was only just granted. A lot of people have argued that there is a lot of prior art, going back to the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive, and even further.
The Register wrote:The two patents detail a "home video game system with hard disk drive and Internet access capability", but the second filing adds provision for "substantially real-time" online multi-player gaming, connection via an online gaming service, support for online "player performance data", using the connection to download information and do so securely through an authentication process, and the communication across the Net of "audio input signals".
:lol: You would think Nintendo had copyrighted online gaming after reading the title of that article.

Gamespot actually did some journalism on this one
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

From what I've read, the patent applies specifically to a videogames console with a hard drive, and for games that allow voice communication. Also covered were some form of game ranking system and some other things similar to Live.

There have been a lot of silly patents going through recently. I believe Microsoft owns the patent for double-clicking, and there are companies that have attempted to sue and have settled with some large internet firms over things like one-click online shopping and video streaming.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Japanese patents are a joke.

In Japan, you NEED NOT invent technology to patent it, only to think of it first. Which means, if (in Japan) you invent something, and some Japanese guy already patented the idea (without inventing it), guess what - he owns it.
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

So does the Xbox infringe on Nintendo's patent?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

In America, you do not need to invent or even think of an idea to patent it. If there's prior art, you aren't supposed to be able to patent something, but that doesn't seem to matter any more. As long as nobody has patented it yet, it's yours for the taking.

Microsoft Patents sudo
Microsoft Pockets Patent for Encouraging TV Viewing
Amazon Patents Getting Numbers Off a Check
Microsoft Patents Grouped Taskbar Buttons
Washington Mutual Patents the Bank Branch
Microsoft Patents The Body Bus
UK Firm Patents Software Downloads

This is why Europe needs to do all that it can to stop software patents before it's too late - by which I mean, before all the former opposers get payed significant quantities of money by large corporations with vested interests.