Videogame Manhunt blamed for teen killing

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0

Post by BlackAura »

For buying him the game, or for not teaching him the difference between video games and real life?
Both. Either.
My parents backed off on censoring my entertainment decisions when I was pretty young, though, because they knew that I could watch a movie or play a game and understand that in real life I couldn't go around killing people.
Same here. They weren't particularly worried about that kind of thing at any point, or at least not for me. They haven't minded too much since I was around 12 or so, because they thought I was mature enough to understand the difference, and haven't worried about my younger brothers seeing anything "inappropriate" since he was around 14/15. Of course, there's still stuff that my Mum does object to, but as long as she doesn't actually see it, she doesn't mind.
Mikey1109
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu
Been thanked: 0

Post by Mikey1109 »

ok, why do they keep addressin the killer as the the victim's friend? he brutally killed the guy. shouldnt they say a guy who was his friend as opposed to a guy who is his friend? and where the hell did that guy get a claw hammer? ive never even see none.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Might be called somethin differant over there, its a hammer with a bit on the back for pulling nails out with
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
scott6565
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by scott6565 »

where do you guys live anyway... im from Canada and if a 17 year old wants to go out and buy a video game its not a big deal. Mommy doesnt have to follow you to EB to buy it for you, i had no problem renting or buying Mature rated games when i was 13 years old
-Azathoth-
Jounin Shinobi
Jounin Shinobi

Post by -Azathoth- »

weeperofsouls wrote:blame the stupid parents.

besides, the game was intended for ADULTS. if a 14 year old kid plays it, its the fault of the parents for buying it for him in the first place.
Yeah! Where the fudge were his parents before he killed someone? Didnt they notice their son frothing at the mouth and sitting at his tv playing Manhunt 24/7.....I bet his mom even bought the game for him.
"Deviantart is the home of messed up emo kids"
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

scott6565 wrote:where do you guys live anyway... im from Canada and if a 17 year old wants to go out and buy a video game its not a big deal. Mommy doesnt have to follow you to EB to buy it for you, i had no problem renting or buying Mature rated games when i was 13 years old
In the UK, we have a voluntary age thing, just like you. It used to be ELSPA, but now it's mostly INFO. These are merely guidelines and are not legally enforced.

However, there is another rating systems. The British Board of Film Censors - who, surprisingly, usually rate movies - apply classifications to a select number of games. These are legally enforced. Examples of games with these ratings are Resident Evil (15), every GTA game (18), The Getaway (18), Manhunt (18). Resident Evil is the only game I can ever remember getting a 15 rating - every other exceptionally violent game gets an 18 or doesn't get a BBFC classification at all.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Mikey1109
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Mikey1109 »

az_bont wrote:Image
oh, ok. that makes a whole lot more sense. i was imagining some kind of mallet with the other end being curved like a pick axe. now that i think about that i dont think there is such a thing :lol:
Roofus
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC
President & CEO Roofuscorp, LLC

Post by Roofus »

Mikey1109 wrote:
az_bont wrote:Image
oh, ok. that makes a whole lot more sense. i was imagining some kind of mallet with the other end being curved like a pick axe. now that i think about that i dont think there is such a thing :lol:
So what do you call a claw hammer? :?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

The Police wrote:?We haven?t connected the game with the murder and we?ve already made that statement, but some sections of the media chose to ignore it?the motive was robbery.?
Also, it turns out that the victim was the one with the game, not the killer.

http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board. ... adid=50531
http://www.bluesnews.com/cgi-bin/board. ... adid=50407

Regardless, lawyers are poised to "destroy" Rockstar.

And here you'll find an article by the GamesIndustry.biz editor.
Mrfiddlez
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Post by Mrfiddlez »

GTA inspired a Prisoner in Australia to Breakout and Steal a car or sumfin.....
weeperofsouls
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by weeperofsouls »

yes, after all there were never any random killings or thefts or carjacking before GTA came out. heh.
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

I wish they would put the information on the cover of the games in big flashy leters, with the display box able to read it to them. That way parrents could not claim ignorence. I remember my sister bought Bio Freaks on N64 for my nieces, and nephews because she didn't know about ratings, or reading the back of the package. Luckily I caught it becaise I would have heard a lot of crap from her about how bad games were.

It is funny that parrents can't fathom the idea of games being for adults. I am sure there are other activities that started out as being for kids, and then the adults did it because they didn't want to stop. Video Games can not be the first one.
scott6565
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by scott6565 »

this is so f*cking stupid, its not the games fault, and its NOT the parents fault either he was 17 guys... Some people are just extremely retarded, or have other mental problems, if the kid killed someone over the game manhunt by hitting some guy with a hammer then he could have just as easily stomped on his f*cking head and blamed it on super mario. That kid was just waiting for an oppertunity to go berserk and kill someone
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Hell I let my nephews play Doom from round 5 & they dont want to kill everything in sight so what does that say?
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Orange_Ribbon
DCEmu's Cheerleader

Post by Orange_Ribbon »

They are not whack Jobs. That is what it means.
atf487
DCEmu's Ranter
DCEmu's Ranter

Post by atf487 »

All these stories are the same. Kid hurts someone, game is blamed, they get sued.

What really should happpen is to PUNISH THE DAMN KID. He's 17, he does what he wants and KNOWS whats right from wrong. Unless he has a mental condition.

Hes responsible, not the game, not even the parents (but they're still stupid for blaming anyone but their kid.)
Tetris: 556-381-350-981
MKDS: 163-282-974-709