Genesis Plus/DC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ethoscapade »

well, that explains why DKC was always the fastest running game on DSnes for me at least. thanks, i'll look into it.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

PVR hardware renderer is far more revolutionary than "just" code a SNES SH4 core...
Not really. As far as I'm aware, it hasn't been done in other emulators for the DC apart from Sega's Smash Pack (and that's only speculation - I don't know if it actually did use a hardware renderer or not). It has been suggested a few times, usually when talking about SNES emulation (which I don't think this would work on). It certainly wasn't as difficult to do as a new CPU emulator, and the latest version owes just as much to Stef's C68K CPU emulator as it does to the hardware renderer.
is the source out for the latest build of GPDC? My friend wants to take a look at the rewritting and optimizing the vdp rendering..
The latest source release (wherever that is) is the latest working copy. The version I have has been heavily modified, and doesn't work properly anymore. Check on the General Insanity thread in the Programming forum.
cube323
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cube323 »

What about themes? Will you be able to theme the final release of Gen Plus?
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

cube323 wrote:What about themes? Will you be able to theme the final release of Gen Plus?
to be honest, i don't even think that BlackAura wants to think about extras right now. I mean, they had to invent a carriage before a camper. :wink:

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I don't know. Maybe.

If by "theme" you mean "replace the graphics, sounds, or whatever", then yes. Obviously. There would be no way to stop you. However, the graphics won't just be stored as a load on PNG files like they were in the original version.

If you mean "have the ability to load different themes, like Super Famicast does", then possibly. All the data for the menu system would be contained in one file anyway, and it just needs a way to switch between them.

Also, the menu design I have is very complex, and relies as much on code as it does on graphics. It certainly isn't just a load of static images. For full theming support, I'd need to have some way of changing not only the graphics, but also everything else, and that is more difficult than just changing the background picture.

It's more likely to have a slightly different form of customisation.
cube323
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by cube323 »

Thank you for considering my idea. I of course mean theme in the later sense. Like Nester DC. One of my favorite things about that emulator is the fact that you can create your own customized themes. It's a fun thing to do. If possible, that's something I'd love to see implimented here.

Either way, what you have done with Gen Plus V3 is amazing. I'm really stunned. Take all the time you want to perfect it, lol. However be aware, that I am counting the days until it's completion.

Thanks again for hearing me out.