I don't have Toast...any way to do this?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Zaelef
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

I don't have Toast...any way to do this?

Post by Zaelef »

Okay, here's the rundown: I'm trying to play on the homebrew PSO server, but it's a lot easier said then done. The whole setup seems to be more PC friendly, but I've managed to download the necessary file after some hassle. Unfortunately, it's a CDI. So I ran CDIRip 0.6.2 and came up with the data and audio files. I ran Isofix 1.3, and got:
bootfile.bin
fixed.iso
header.iso
output.iso

So, basically what I'm asking is...what the heck do I do? I mean, is there anyway I can burn this without Toast?
DuffMan
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DuffMan »

Nope, Toast is the bomb, you should get it. I believe Toast is the only program to make Self-boot CD's on Mac, others can make swap disc's, but Self-boot rocks. You need Toast.
OOH! YA! Duffman Says a lot of things.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Actually, cdrecord works just fine for this sort of thing, but you need to use a terminal to get it to work.
Zaelef
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Zaelef »

Hmm...care to clarify, BlackAura? I'd really appreciate the help.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=30938

I don't know how / where you'd get a working version of cdrecord though. Your best bet would probably be to find a pre-build package (and I don't think there are any) or get a copy of Toast.
Zaelef
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Zaelef »

Wow, looks like I'm completely out of luck until I can use a PC, then. A shame, too, since that was all I needed to burn..
ToeJam
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by ToeJam »

If you install fink (http://fink.sf.net) then in the terminal do a `fink install cdrecord` (or it might be cdtools?) Then you can do anything with cdrecord. and for the record, yes it does work just like any other platform (just the device is a little weird because you can't do a -scanbus)
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

Does anyone have a pre-built version of cdrecord for OSX? or has anyone found one? that would really help me & him.
:arrow: http://tofuheavyindustries.com
Mac Dream Tool / Mac Dream Tool Services (released Sept. 2019)
Creator of Various awesome Video Games

"You don't have to be forgiven. Clint Eastwood taught us that."
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

I have to get around to reinstalling fink on my Mac yet, but there is likely a prebuilt binary available via fink. If there is only source code, you can use fink commander to download the source and it will build it for you. As long as there are no library dependancies, I'll get fink reinstalled and see if it is prebuilt. Since it is open source, I see no reason why I can't just give it to you.

There is also xcdroast:

http://www.versiontracker.com/dyn/moreinfo/macosx/18492

Runs through X11. I don't like the fact that it has to kill the diskarbitrator. That invites a kernal panic, so I haven't used it.

I was actually going to start a thread on this....a gui for cdrecord....
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Okay, I've reinstalled fink and the dev tools. Yup, cdrecord is there as a prepackaged binary. No dependancies it seems. Don't know if it installed a library or not, but I would suggest installing a fresh copy so you get the man page. Here is a snipit:

CDRECORD(1) Schily's USER COMMANDS CDRECORD(1)

NAME
cdrecord - record audio or data Compact Discs from a master

SYNOPSIS
cdrecord [ general options ] dev=device [ track options ]
track1...trackn

DESCRIPTION
Cdrecord is used to record data or audio Compact Discs on an Orange
Book CD-Recorder.

The device refers to scsibus/target/lun of the CD-Recorder. Communica-
tion on SunOS is done with the SCSI general driver scg. Other operat-
ing systems are using a library simulation of this driver. Possible
syntax is: dev= scsibus,target,lun or dev= target,lun. In the latter
case, the CD-Recorder has to be connected to the default SCSI bus of
the machine. Scsibus, target and lun are integer numbers. Some oper-
ating systems or SCSI transport implementations may require to specify
a filename in addition. In this case the correct syntax for the device
is: dev= devicename:scsibus,target,lun or dev= devicename:target,lun.
If the name of the device node that has been specified on such a system
refers to exactly one SCSI device, a shorthand in the form dev= device-
name:@ or dev= devicename:@,lun may be used instead of dev= device-
name:scsibus,target,lun.

Home page:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glo ... ecord.html

Seems like it should work with any drive that is mmc compliant (basically any drive made after 1999). I won't get a chance to mess with it tonight.
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

I actually dont know what the hell fink or X11 do. And im guessing xcdroast is a unix prog moddled for OSX?

greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

cdrecord works flawlessly for me.

here's some more specific information on the OS X-specific device names:
http://cdrecord.berlios.de/test/documen ... DME.macosX

oh, and xcdroast isn't modified for OS X (probably, or if it is, minimally), just compiled for OS X. It's an X11 program, which is the standard *NIX GUI. X11 is worth it just for the GIMP, in my opinion.
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Fink installs Unix programs on MacOS.

X11 is the standard GUI system on almost all Unix systems, which allows all sorts of useful things like the ability to run programs over a network.

xcdroast is written for X11, not OSX. Should work on OSX if you have X11 installed.

As far as I know, cdrecord does not install any libraries. If you want to check, find the cdrecord binary, and do this at a terminal:

Code: Select all

ldd /path/to/cdrecord
On my Linux system, I get this message:

not a dynamic executable
That means that it uses no libraries at all, so the cdrecord program is entirely self-contained. You might get some system libraries listed, but they're probably going to be installed on every OSX system anyway.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

I'm fine using with using X11, but the readme warns that it kills the discarbitrator task to keep the Finder from mounting the CD; they also warn that can make the OS unstable. I can verify that part since I had to kill that task last week due to a problem with a digital camera, and I got my first crash.

Most people would probably like it better if there was an OS X front end instead of messing around with fink and X11. Not everyone wants to be bothered by that.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Just realized that we never really answered I.M.'s question. Black Aurea is correct in that fink allows you to install X11 programs on your Mac. It also installs regular command line programs too. More to the point, it is a packaging system much like redhat or debian. For most people in simple terms, X11 is just a standard windowing environment for Unix, and Apple has made it so it just runs along side Aqua, so X11 windows act much like the ones in Aqua do. A base install of X11 has a pretty simplistic gui with the default window manager, so of course people have extended it so you can have full fledged desktops; that is what people use on linux boxes generally. Apple provides one with that works with quatz. X11 consists of a server which allows you to run X11 based programs (called clients). The clients can be on your own machine or somewhere else. Then as I already said, it needs a window manager. Fink allows you to install clients without losing your mind.

For more information about fink, go to http://fink.sourceforge.net. Since you are running 10.8, you will need to use version 0.6.3. For installation instructions, go to http://fink.sourceforge.net/download/in ... phpLang=en. I recommend using finkcommander (comes with the distribution) which is a OS X native program that allows you to install and manage packages.

Also, the current version of X11 from Apple only works with Panther. You can install the free one with fink. There is also a standalone installer for the free one. Can't remember the links now :( , but I'll try to dig them up. There was a beta of X11 from Apple that did work with 10.8. I don't know if it is around anymore. I can paw through my backups.

p.s. Meant to say OS 10.2.8.
Last edited by abydos1000 on Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaelef
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Zaelef »

Well, most of this stuff's over my head, heh, so if you guys figure something out you might have to put it in layman's terms for me. :|
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

What do you mean by "pull it out"? Looks like a ftp site that has the source code along with how to compile for different platforms (we would be ppc). Looks like fink has version 1.11 as a prebuilt binary, not 2.0. It might be in the unstable tree (means they have built 2.0, it may work but not tested).
I.M. Weasel
Iron Muskateer Weasel

Post by I.M. Weasel »

I grabbed cdrtools 2.00.3 from the belios link. I did just a 'make' in the top lvl dir cdrtools-2.00.3. where is my product? the readme says it'll be in /OBJ/<?> in the folder itself. Its not there.

Warnings i got in the make

ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _fprintf
../libs/powerpc-darwin-cc/libschily.a(printf.o) definition of _fprintf in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib(fprintf.So) definition of _fprintf
ld: warning multiple definitions of symbol _printf
../libs/powerpc-darwin-cc/libschily.a(printf.o) definition of _printf in section (__TEXT,__text)
/usr/lib/libSystem.dylib(printf.So) definition of _printf
I didnt say it stopped though.

abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

hmmm...don't pay much attention to the build process since I haven't written anything other than simple stuff in C++, and when I use fink, it does it all for me. I really honestly can't remember if Apple's compiler tells you anything unless there is a screw up. You can search from the finder if you think it got dumped somewhere else (at least I think 10.2.8 can search in the bsd folders).

yea... 2.0 is under the unstable tree. It is actually called cdrtools, but clicking on either link in fink takes me to the same web page. I'll try to redirect fink to build to unstable, but I probably won't get to that today.

I have a binary of 1.1.3. There's only the binary and the man page. The man page is horribly out of date since it rambles on about scsi drives. ATA is supported. Do you want me to send you the binary and the man page? Just send me a message if so.
erise
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by erise »

I downloaded xcdroast-0.98alpha15 but was unable to get a working Mac Inducer CD. Has anyone gotten one made with xcdroast and if so, what settings did you use?