Kega 0.04b

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Kega 0.04b

Post by Oz »

A new version of Kega is out, and it now supports SMS/GG emulation.

http://www.eidolons-inn.de/kega/download.html

If you have never heard of Kega, its an excellent Genesis/SegaCD/SMS/GG emulator for the PC (made by Steve Snake of KGen fame). Its fast, accurate, and it's sound emulation is almost perfect.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

You could have put this news in here http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=20 you know, its what non dc emu & homebrew news was created for. Or does no-one bother reading it anymore?.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Sweeeeeet.... I wanna try it now!
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Oz »

Sorry Hawq. I was tired and forgot that you started a thread for this sort of stuff. I'll keep it in mind next time though. :)
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Cool it works pretty well.
0newinged
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by 0newinged »

i'd never heard of it before but it runs nice 8)
404NotFound
DCEmu Ex-Mod
DCEmu Ex-Mod

Post by 404NotFound »

Yes very nice indeed! Now all that needs to be done is a 32x emu with it.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

It's good, but I don't think it's as good as Gens. This one is faster and has Kreed's wonderful 2XSAI Engine, which will smooth out graphics when you put it at 2x screen size.

still, its nice to see Mega Drive, GameGear, Master System and SegaCD emulation in one little program.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod

Post by crazyrom »

how do you set up controller?
crazyrom
Ex-Help Forum Mod
Ex-Help Forum Mod

Post by crazyrom »

never mind. sorry i got it :lol:
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Oz »

Bad News...
Hello.

As of Today, Kega is no more. At least for the time being.

Reason? For some completely unknown reason, when I got home this evening and turned my computer on, it suffered a massive failure. Both my hard drives, containing a lot of very important stuff as well as Kega (and yes, it was backed up - on the other drive) have been completely destroyed by this failure. Neither of them will even start up anymore in two other PCs I have tried them on.

Let me tell you that I am absolutely devastated right now. Not only have I lost Kega (which I've spent considerable time working on these last couple of weeks) but I've lost a lot of other, actually far more important things. What's more I don't even have a decent system anymore, and it's likely that everything ELSE in my system has been destroyed.

So, as I sit here typing this message on my wife's PC (one of my old systems) the only glimmer of hope is that somehow, somebody, can recover the data on my drives. I know I *do* have the source on an old hard drive - I only replaced both my drives recently, because they were unreliable - but as to how old that source is, I do not remember. It is certainly *way* before I added SMS/GG/GameGenie support, and it may be as old as version 0.01.

I *am* going to try to revive the project. I don't know, it seems I have been absolultely plagued with problems since I started this thing - the only reason the source is not also on my server PC is that the thing died about two months ago, and what with the death of my grandmother and a heavy workload I haven't gotten around to fixing that yet. And I've now lost 4 hard drives in about 3 months. Who would have thought....

But at the very least this is a HUGE setback. I intended on spending at least 4 hours working solidly on something very important tonight. Now I don't even know when I'll be able to continue, let alone how much work will need to be done to repair the damage.

I will do my best to fix this. I'll keep you updated when I am able to keep you updated.

Thanks for your support so far.

Snake.
Well... the last backup that I can get at is v0.02.

If you have a look at the readme that comes with 0.04b (as I just did) you will see that a frightening amount of stuff has been done since then.... this version doesn't even do full screen!

So basically if I can't get anything off my drive - well, it's pretty bad.
Well, I'm currently awaiting response for a couple of data recovery companies. But I am not expecting their prices to be at all reasonable. It's annoying, I'm sure the data is still there, and intact, I just can't get at it... arrghh!!

Anyway - now that I've had some time to think about all this I've come to some conclusions. For one, yes I had a lot of important stuff on there, but it's gone now. It's not the end of the world. It does mean that a few things that would have been will now not be, but that's all. I came to this conclusion when I realised the one thing I REALLY wanted to get back was Kega. I'd finally done most of the annoying/boring things and was just starting to have fun with it!

I don't know what will happen next. But I definately want to try and rebuild this thing. I have several (about 6! - see, I was being careful back then... and would still have been had it not been for several recent events...) backups of Kega 0.02. I can add most of the stuff again. It will just take a lot of time. The only annoying parts are:

1. I made a lot of compatibility fixes between then and now. I don't remember what I did. That's annoying.

2. It's going to be hard to get to grips with the code again. If you're a programmer you'll know what I mean - there will be loads of little things that I changed, and I will most definately forget to do things - because I know I already did them and won't remember what ISN'T in there.

3. Also lost is a lot of research I'd been doing, including everything I'd already done on the .SCD file format. That's probably not going to happen now.

4. What will I call any (eventual) new version? Kega 0.05 ? No, because it is not a progression from 0.04. Hmmm... The next version WAS to be 0.10.

BUT - on the bright side:

1. You can bet Stef and Quinntesson backed up EVERYTHING last night

2. I can rebuild this. I want to rebuild this. "We have the technology!"

This is a major setback. But I won't let it be a catastrophe.

"Meine Wut will nicht sterben
Meine Wut will nicht sterben
Meine Wut stirbt nie!"

Snakey.

P.S. I will be contacting some of you privately, because if you want to help, you may be able to make my life easier.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Does no-one read my non dc emu & homebrew topic anymore? theres a link to that piece in there. Or were you just tired again and forgot Oz?. Anyone reading this let me know if you look at my topic or not, hopefully then I'll see wether anyones bothered enough to keep it going.
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
OtherNash
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by OtherNash »

Wow, that's awful. I've been enjoying Kega for a couple months now, it's great! Finally I could drag out the old Sega CD games again. :-)
"'Four Weddings and a Funeral'? Isn't that five of the same thing?" --Al Bundy

"Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned for SEGA" - Brodie Bruce, Mallrats
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Oz »

Hawq,

I was just bringing closure to this thread...

I do look through your thread every now and then, but I also hit every major emulation news site at least once a day.

Honestly I think your thread is great service for people that dont keep up on general emulation news, but Im not so sure one large thread is the answer. I have a hunch people would be more responsive if it was broken down into seperate threads based on type (i.e. snes emulation) or specific emulators (i.e. ePSXe).

Actually I would love to see a whole forum devoted to general emulation news. It could be set up so only mods can create threads, but anybody could post to a thread once its created. This would keep it nice and tidy. I might even know someone who could help you post news and moderate. *cough*

:roll:

Anyway, thats my 2 cents.
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Oz wrote: Actually I would love to see a whole forum devoted to general emulation news.
you're.... posting in a forum devoted solely to general emulation news :?