Genesis Plus/DC

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
InternetAddict
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Genesis Plus/DC

Post by InternetAddict »

So what's the deal has BlackAura scrapped this project it's been almost a month since a official release. It's a pity preview 3 was looking pretty damn good just a few bugs to be worked out.
One day there will be a Sega CD Emulator on the Dreamcast I guarantee you.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

they are working. a lot. there just hasnt been another preview release. its been like a week. chill out.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Rev. Layle
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Rev. Layle »

omg no release every two days - they MUST have stopped FOREVAR :roll:
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

KILL N00B!
InternetAddict
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Genesis Plus/DC

Post by InternetAddict »

umm I may be wrong be wasn't the last release june 24th and now it's July 18th that's a little more than a week.
mogorman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mogorman »

woah... to any one not accustomed to the dreamcast development scene, everynow and then their will be periods of huge advancement, followed by a seemingly complete drop off, what is actually happening is the developers are working and not releasing. It is rediculous for them to work at the pace we would actually want. I mean these guys do it in their spare time. Praise them, dont claim all their projects are dead.
-------------------------------------------------
some say the glass is half full
some say the glass is half empty
I say thank god they gave me a glass
weeperofsouls
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by weeperofsouls »

long periods of no new releaces is common in the emulation scene, especially the DC emulation scene. programming takes a LONG time, especially of this complexity. what, do you think programmers just pinch out updates on a weekly basis? better learn to wait patiently, the rest of us certainly have.
Rev. Layle
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Re: Genesis Plus/DC

Post by Rev. Layle »

InternetAddict wrote:umm I may be wrong be wasn't the last release june 24th and now it's July 18th that's a little more than a week.
some time releases take months - and sometime advancement speeds up and slows down... and that, people who develop these things don't always have the time to work on every day
Rev. Layle
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Rev. Layle »

oops mogorman already pretty much said what i did
InternetAddict
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Genesis Plus/DC

Post by InternetAddict »

I do praise the people who put that hard work into all these great emus I would just hate to see this excellent emu end up un finished :)
Like poor DreamSNES and many others
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

Also don't forget there as NOT been any official releases of this emulator.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

what makes you claim dreamsnes is not "finished", what "finished" means to you? dreamsnes allows you to play most snes games at playable speed with sound, what do you ask for? if genesisplus dc could at least reach dreamsnes's state it would be very good, not that i dont think it will reach it someday. also what is a month without news compared to the time it took since the first time blackaura mentionned the project...
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
groundbeef
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by groundbeef »

Actually speud...I think Genesis Plus PRV 3 is already past Dreamsnes .98. I have found it very compatible with acceptable sound and nice graphics.....sure there are glitches (some even bad) and there are sound problems with skipping...but at least it runs full speed. Many of the games I love and have owned play right on or nearly right on. There is still much room for improvement....sure....but at least the games are at playable speeds unlike Dreamsnes. I am not bashing Dsnes either, just stating that proper speed and playability make games much more enjoyable even if there are glitches here and there. JUST OPINION SO PLEASE DON'T FLAME ME! :lol:
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

to me dreamsnes is very close to the best that can be done for a snes emu on dc. there is a good sound without noticable sync problems, most games run at playable speed, some games are fullspeed or close to it, the menus are quite complete, the compatibility list counts only a few games not working, sram saves are supported.

genesis plus dc is at an early stage of development, there is no real menu, the graphics will probably be improved as well as the sound, there will probably be more games compatible with the emu later, hopefully sram support will be implemented, etc...

so as good as genesis plus dc is at the moment, its not reaching dreamsnes development's state in my opinion. dsnes had several official releases before being that rich, genesis plus dc's are previews not even intended to be released.

ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

even though it's kind of a depressing point of view, i'm going to have to agree with groundbeef on this one. menu, whatever, genesis plus has speed and if only the sound was synched and it saved and the graphic glitches were worked out (and i'm willing to bet at least 2 of those 3 things have already been fixed; this is just based on preview 3), i wouldn't even put it in the same sentence as DSnes.

of course, that's not a commentary on the difficulty involved with either project. just from the user's point of view.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

what are you comparing exactly? the speed of the emus? that really makes no sense. although i am respectful of blackaura's work as well as other people who work on this project, i still think dreamsnes required more work than what was done with genesis plus dc so far. but i am aware of the reasons why one is more advanced as the other, and im very confident in genesis plus dc's future.

groundbeef
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by groundbeef »

I am not discrediting all the work done on Dsnes, not by a long shot. I do not think that DSnes .98 is the best Snes emu that is attainable however. As far as the speed issue, Dsnes never really improved past .94...heck maybe even .91. They did a great job with the sound, compatibility, and menus...all except for the fact that it wares the heck out of the motor to load rom names on screen heh :o . I have a different opinion on emulation though. I would much rather have an emu that runs and plays full speed with 50 percent sound and 75 percent compatibility than an emu that has 99 percent compatibility, full sound, a pretty menu that runs at 70 percent speed and playability. Let's not kid ourselves, DSnes is a good emu, but it doesn't run 90 percent speed. Full screen and full sound Super Castlevania 4 runs like a dog, and that's how most games run. Like I said before, I love emulation and I am patient and I respect the authors to no end, but I don't let dedication blind me from truthfullness. :D
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

did you try anything but konami games? looks like you didnt, most games run around 90%, most konami games are slow.

i was comparing the advancement of the projects, although dreamsnes is not running every games full speed its still pushing dc limits, the authors did a great job optimizing the emu, and they even re wrote the core in asm to try and gain some speed (which didnt really pay back though).

if they "only" improved the compatibility list over the versions thats probably because they couldnt improve anything else. the version of snes9x that is used in dreamsnes has probably been pushed to its max, and has even been improved. thats obviously not the case with genesis plus dc at the moment.

dreamsnes is a lot closer to a finished snes emu than genesis plus dc (at least the last preview that has been released) is close to a finished genesis emu imho. again thats not a reproach to people who work on genesis plus dc nor a try to belittle their work, actually thats pretty much the contrary.

weeperofsouls
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by weeperofsouls »

genesis plus dc is still very early in development. even at this early point it has tremendous potential. possibly to be even faster and more polished then dreamsnes someday. if it reaches that point remains to be seen. i hope it does, but i do not put unrealistic expectations on blackaura or any other authors who work on it. either way, its still a fantastic piece of software.
Skater_dusto
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by Skater_dusto »

There hasn't even been a release and people are freaking out and damn near assuming that it's dead. There's a difference between praise, and going wahhhh hasn't been a release in years, someone tell me if it's dead or not? :wink: