SDL-Fighter - DC Shooter Em up port.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/

SDL-Fighter - DC Shooter Em up port.

Post by Ian Micheal »

SDL-Fighter

Game similar to NC-Fighter, but it uses SDL. It has features like scrolling background, music (7 tracks), bonus items, animated explosions, 2 types of weapons and 4 enemies (including 2 bosses).

Game uses following libraries:
- SDL (libsdl.org)
- SDL_mixer

SDL DC-Fighter Version
Dreamcast Port of SDL-Fighter 2d scrolling Shooter with power ups and 5 stages. Game is fully ported meaning all controls are dreamcast controler mapped. Game was not hard to port but i thought worthy to port it has every basic function of a good shooter game and the engine can be edited pretty easy. It's a good example of a shooter engine.

Speed needs to be optmized.

Game uses following libraries:
- SDL (libsdl.org)
- SDL_mixer
- Kos-1-1-9
- GCC 3.04

Controls are
*(left and right trigger) let you turn up or turn down the SFX and music.
* Start button lets you start the game again once you have died.
* Up down left right is the dreamcast dpad kos controls.
* (A) button = fire your cannon
* (B) Button = Change your weapon to *EG* Rockets
* (Y) Button = Help menu and credits screen you press it to click it off and to get the other menus 1 time for the help menu 2nd time for the scrollying credits 4th time to get back to the game.

So at this stage fully ported to dreamcast.

Burn this as you would any dreamcast homebrew.

1ST_READ.BIN is scrambled for self booting. Unscrambled it to make an SBI pack.

Main problem port does not run fullspeed yet any one's welcome to help speed it up.
http://mrg.risp.pl/jff/downloads.php authors site
http://imrtechnology.ngemu.com/ Homepage of the dc port and many other SDL games and emulators.

After all the health troubled i have had i just wanted to do some thing more easy and fully port it some thing finshed. only thing to do is speed which im sure some other people cant fix. I tryed frameskip but it made it worst so i took that out if you want the frameskip version i can post the code change at my forum.

Only warning is it runs rather slow other then that it's fully playable and finshed.

Music is great game is old style power scrollying shooter i liked it so thats what i ported it. Im sure in the future it will run fullspeed and the grafix are changed-able if you recompiled it. Uses the romdisk so it can be booted from every thing.

Sorry there is typo's in the readme file.

Enjoy
Dreamcast forever!!!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

wow, i thought you were out of game porting :wink: nice to see something new from you. Ill take a look at it for speed.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Wanted to do some thing but not to stressfull like emulation is this was nice to do i understand the code which is nice and converted the controls to kos not to hard but i think worth doing. Very changeable and portable nice code. When i looked at it i thought the basic of this could be a lot of shooter games it has power ups and bosses and 7 track sound track.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

if you get on msn, ill send you a fixed version i just did. I stripped out all the SDL controls (so no debug/fun with keyboard, but improved speed) and a few slightly more optimized parts.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
skar
how powerful i am!
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by skar »

sounds good :) i guess i'll still wait for the fixed version tho :)
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

quzar wrote:if you get on msn, ill send you a fixed version i just did. I stripped out all the SDL controls (so no debug/fun with keyboard, but improved speed) and a few slightly more optimized parts.
If you can send me the bits you did to reaperangel@yahoo.com. I will take a look at it just went on msn you were not online. :wink:

Pretty fast i thought optmizing it would take a lot longer i left it mostly like that so you could play it keyboard as well but if it's slowing it down then by all means remove it.

Sounds good I guess it will get an update when i get the new code from you mate thanks just very fast did not think it would happen this fast hehe.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Pyrite
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Pyrite »

No screenshots?
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

At my site with the download as normal.
Dreamcast forever!!!
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Thanks Ian.
Salamander2
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Salamander2 »

finally, at least, a shooting game.(but i don?t know if it just me...but i don?t like the current gfx of this game). :?
"...they are carrying the last hope: to save planet Gradius...on their wings..."
GRADIUS TRIBUTE for Dreamcast!
Kamjin
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Kamjin »

Ian,

I've got a small request could you recompile the game with the images
and sound files in folders on the CD instead of a romdisk, so that graphic,
and sound mods can be done.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Ive e-mailed you the fixed code. I didnt switch it to load from CD, but that would be a good idea, to encourage modding.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Kamjin wrote:Ian,

Yeah Sure Only included int a rd because it will then boot from any thing included the webrowser i was told. But yeah Now that it's been fixed it will be worth iy. Update will be soon. Quzar we make a good team. hehe.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Just so you know, i dont know what speed its supposed to go at so it still might not be fullspeed, but it seemed right.
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Yeah, I was about to ask the same thing, can we make this moddable with the likes of BoR? I mean, it'd be neat to be able to do that with these new ports but then of course, there would come the agony of code but hey...it's still worth a shot right?
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Very modded-able. not like bor yet but all the grafix you can mod and change. Bor like features would not be hard to add editing from txt files things like that could be done. Im testing it out now still not fullspeed but better. It's a new day so im working on it for an hour or so. Really worth it to me since it has power ups and scrollying and bosses. Pretty much the same as the mod my wife was making with bor.

Be a new version today with some better speed. I did forget SDL and how debugging and printf's slow it down thanks Quzar for reminding me and making the changes.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Oh Quzar what fps are you geting it;s on the top right hand side of the screen. Im geting only 14.5 max fps. Maybe my sdl libs are not working right. As it's still quit slow for me. Im changing the res now so all the info is on screen and visable.

Crazy thing on my new 2.4 ghz pc i get
-14.9 fps

On my wifes old celron 500mhz Im geting
-39fps.
Cant understand that.

Dreamcast 14.6 max not smooth at all. about the same as my new pc is geting.
Kamjin wrote:Ian,

Going to do that for sure if you can see any thing that is slowing it down so much in the code let me know mate.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

oh. i didnt notice an fps counter. ill check right now.

ok, i get like 15.5 or so, not a big improvement, but its something.

Taking out the fps counter will speed it up a bit =P
kungpow12345
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by kungpow12345 »

Hey that's still pretty good news and new breakthroughs for even more mods. I can definitely see some 1942,1943 mods and even some Raiden Trad mods...are you planning on making these games (SDL Fighter and the Shooter) moddable Ian? If you do...bless you sir!!!!
If you've got an ass, I'll kick it!
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Yeah Just need to get the speed up some how i got it to 16fps max at the moment trying compiler settings combos on it and some SDL flags. Just have to have the varables of the game read from a txt file and that would make it some-what mod-able all the grafix will be mod-able next release pretty soon. Basics are there for a good game.
Last edited by Ian Micheal on Sat Jul 17, 2004 3:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dreamcast forever!!!