Help wanted with MDCNG, I'm sort of a newbie...

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
the POISON!!!
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Help wanted with MDCNG, I'm sort of a newbie...

Post by the POISON!!! »

Hi everyone, newbies as myself and vets alike (hopefully vets reading.) I'm fairly new to DC emulation, my friend introduced me to it a long while ago, and since then I've made a few DreamSNES discs, a DCgnuboy, and a NESter disc. The one I've had trouble with is MDCNG. I follow the directions at the site and on the readme provided with the download directly, yet I can never get the disc to work. You see, I get the whole GUI, with the few roms I've put on the disc (all zipped) and I put the zipped Neo Geo bios in also. Yet when I try to start a game, the screen does it's little fade to black and I'm stuck there forever. I've never been able to actually play a game on the disc, and I've run through at least 30 roms, trying new techniques and what not. Just how do I get this thing up and running? [/i]
I'm in your subway, I'm down your town, I'm in your industrial district, I'm in your bay area, I'm up your town...
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by The OK Pope »

I don't know what MDCNG stands for, but I can tell you that there aren't any Neo-Geo emulators for DC. There is Neo-Geo CD/DC that will run Neo-Geo CD games, but those are different from normal Neo-Geo games.
the POISON!!!
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by the POISON!!! »

So that's my problem, I have Neo Geo roms, and not Neo Geo cd roms? Thanks
I'm in your subway, I'm down your town, I'm in your industrial district, I'm in your bay area, I'm up your town...
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Try NeoCD v9b - It's better than MDCNG. I had no luck trying MDCNG either but it was some time ago.

NeoCD is a very good emulator: http://www.imrtech.mirrorz.com/

The final release won't take that long, I guess.

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
qatmix
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by qatmix »

hopefully Warmtoe will rebuild teh MDCNG with stephs new 68k core. It used to run at a good speed before, hopefully then it will be full speed.
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

Its possible the roms tried were either too big or not the right sets for the version of mame mdcng is based on (did it get updated to .80 or whatever it was or is it still on 36b16 I forget) when someone reminds me & everyone else reading this graba romcenter dat from Logiqx & of course romcenter from here to check them
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

ice reported mame at .72 but i dont know if he also updated MDCNG. I think he didnt. It is just a standard mame build with NG specified as the target machine. The most probably problem is that the roms are new type roms instead of .36 and below type roms. either that or they are too big. the biggest rom that can be used is around 4mbs.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Christuserloeser

4MB isn't much... :? but I am sure it actually was the ROM version problem back then because I've tried very small games only... One actually loaded but crashed, so it surely was the ROM Set used.

My suggestion would be a more user friendly menu system for an update. I remember that the last version was very configurable, maybe too configurable for me... :oops:

Maybe add the proper GoodTools dat file to the distribution too for easier use, shouldn't be too hard to get the missing parts with the current sets.

Using store queues (whatever that is :roll: ) like speud did with NeoCD and using Stef Ds C68K, it will be very close to fullspeed I bet... - And Warmtoe & Stef are already working on a faster Z80... :o
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

Games it can load are very small. That wa sthe point of porting the neogeo Cd emulator.As most of the games people want to play can not play on this even if it's fullspeed.

Your never going to play metal slug on this or any kof games for example.
Dreamcast forever!!!
Christuserloeser

Still about 50 (older) NeoGeo games will work with an updated MDCNG if the only limit would be the 4Mbyte mark.

You are right, absolutly none of the best known NG game series will work, but some earlier ones: Sengoku 1, Fatal Fury 1, Magican Lord, Robo Army, Last Resort, NAM1975, Panic Bomberman, Puzzle Bobble, Ninja Commando, Blue's Journey, Viewpoint etc Most of them should be available for NeoGeoCD too.

...if NeoGeoCD has working sound FX, MDCNG would take off too.