Cutting plexi

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Cutting plexi

Post by DCFan2004 »

I need a good, efficient way to cut plexi glass or the type of dremmel tool tip that i should use.
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

I just used a regular cut off wheel to cut plexi.. though it cuts it very quickly, so you gotta be quickly... and it does make somewhat of a mess of the edge of the plastic. So I suggest cuttin ga little bigger than necessary, and use a sanding bit to bring it down to the size you want. The sanding drum will clean up the edge a bit.
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
Disheveled DrFreeze
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Disheveled DrFreeze »

yup, thats the best way, you can also get a stanley knife and keep grinding it trough the same cut untill you reach helf depth, and then break it along a table edge or something (only good for straight edges, and hard long work)
DrFreeze, thinking outside the box since 1985
DrFreeze, licensed road terror since 2006
DrFreeze, Sun Certified Java Programmer since 2007
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

only problem is i have to cut a round edge so how effective would the cutting wheel be?
sixteen-bit
Hardware Freak
Hardware Freak

Post by sixteen-bit »

There is an official dremel accessory for this; It is essentially a small routing bit with a "stand" of sorts you screw onto the front of the dremel. You drill in to make a pilot hole, place the stand face down onto the plexi and cut away!

Sorry, I don't remember the official name or part number.
Synlor
Official DCEMU Stalker
Official DCEMU Stalker

Post by Synlor »

DCFan2004 wrote:only problem is i have to cut a round edge so how effective would the cutting wheel be?
That should still work... just make sort of a "blocky" circle around what you need and sand it down, the sanding can handle the curve if you use a smaller drum.... or you could just find the bit 16-bit was talking about (ha ha... bit 16-bit :) wooo anyways....). Either way it should work.

Oh ya, while you are posting in here, get on aim soon duck, I need to ask you some things.... bith....
Thanks to Digital Chaos, GoldbergWWE, and ace for the avatar, sig, and badge!
http://devcast.dcemulation.com
FETUS
Knight of Null
Knight of Null

Post by FETUS »

http://www.dremel.com/productdisplay/di ... lor=cc0000
this is what I use for plastic put it on a mid rpm and there won't be too much melting
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

Some of the higher end plexi is a PITA to work with, but I've only used that stuff for window replacement.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

yeah i've found that out myself. What I did was cut two dime size holes on the front side of the system next to where the controller port is. My intention is to fill the two holes with pieces of plexi and mount LEDs behind the windows. I think my biggest mistake with all of this is is that i bought the top end plexi at Home Depot so its a bit stronger than the usual piece.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

When I cut plastic, I use a big motor, the I beleive was out of a hair drier. The friction from the shaft heats the plastic fast and just kind of burns off. It leaves a perfect edge and is very controlable. You may want to look into it.
I beleive it's the same type as the "johnson" motors.

http://www.allelectronics.com
mariobro
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by mariobro »

There are special blades made just for cutting plexiglass. They look like a blunt razor blade. You have to score the plexiglass sheet several times with it, until you make a groove. Then, you "snap" off both parts, and you get your cut. It's a bit like cutting glass.

But, for round cuts, the best way to do it would be with a manual jigsaw. You draw you edge on the plexi sheet, and you follow it with the jigsaw. It works great.

Motor tools will just cause a lot of expensive mistakes. A manual jigsaw has a huge degree of control. Once you get your cut, you can sand down the edges, and polish them with car wax, to get a "laser-cut" look. It really works. I once made a subwoofer grille with this method, and people tought I had it cut with a laser.
"Until I finally made it, life was kinda hit or miss...
And I'd love to talk philosophy, but I gotta take a piss"
-David Lee Roth
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Where can you buy plexi, and how thin can it be bought...? thanks!
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

I bought mine at Home Depot and the thinnest i found was 1/8" thick
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

US Plastic Corp has all KINDS of awesome plastic/vinyl/whatever polymer products. They've got different styles and grades of totally clear (see-through) CD cases, which I've used to replace broken Dreamcast cases. They even have precut acrylic circles and stuff, and they go down to 1/16th inch for some of their sheets.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.