Genesis Plus preview

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ethoscapade »

i remember that ips patches were specificially made for megaman and goldenaxe 3 to fix the country lockout for those games. I cant find any working progz that do that type of thing, but i think knowing how to make patches like those may be useful...
yeah, i have those, tried them, and they worked with genesis plus, for those interested. funny you should mention those two specifically though... they were distributed with lemec :)
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

where else do patches like those exist (i dont think its against the rules to ask this)
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
bugaboo
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by bugaboo »

i just tried version3 of this out and i'm shocked, :o
anyone who hasnt tried this yet should do so now, and see the potential of a final version once the sound and other stuff is sorted, this is gonna be the best megadrive emu on any platform i reckon.
thanks to all who have helped make this a reality, its just unbelievable :D
keep it up and its gonna get even better, can't wait )()(

much thanks to all involved :cheers:
retroman9999
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Sweeeeeeet!!!!!!!

Post by retroman9999 »

Finally tried Preview release 3....it's frickin amazing!!!!!! Speed is very good even with sound on. The sound needs a little work, but all in all this is a very nice release indeed.
Thank-you BlackAura and everyone else who's worked on this EMU....we are truly blessed to have it......Thanks
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

members.cox.net/ethoscapade/WILYWARS.IPS

members.cox.net/ethoscapade/GOLDAXE3.IPS

enjoy.
jessman
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by jessman »

......all i can say is...........wow! 3 releases within 2 days.....
sheesh! this is great! release 3 more than tripled in speed! a couple games haven't worked since release one like Saturday Night Slam Masters, but overall, this is stunning! Aside from minor graphical errors, BattleToads Double Dragon runs full speed! Ms Pac Man is near 100% too! Even the sonic games are getting close to a near-perfect state! All that I can recommend is an auto-frameskip, and a little graphical and audio tweaking and this will easily become full speed! I mean, DreamSnes skips 4 frames max, but it still doesn't reach 100% for most games...If this emulator skipped that much, there's no question that it qould have a perfect frame-rate. Oh well.....I'm no advanced programmer, only you are, BA. I'll just be patient and thankful until the final product. Thanks again, man! I NEVER thought this would happen!

Spreading his inquiries all over the net!

<^_^>
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Also, the people begging for plain files shows that people don't understand that all SBIs are are renamed ZIP files with an unscrambled bin inside. All you have to do is scramble the binary and you're ready for booting in what ever method you like (though with Selfboot Inducer v4 and the sbi2boot feature, the only reason not to use your program is if you're on Mac, Linux, or BeOS )
Yes, judging by the posts, the word does need to get out more about Selfboot Inducer. I was a newbie a month ago, and the sbi format saved me a lot of grief, though it wasn't obvious though. As for the Mac, word needs to get out about I.M.'s Mac DreamTool which pretty much does the same thing; it works for me anyway. The big feature that is lacking is incorperating cdrecord, though since it appears that we might have the commands down, that may not be so hard now. I still see too many Mac users waste their time with disc juggler and trying to get nero images to work; hense, I am working on a concise and clear documentation fror Mac users (if only I could stop getting honey-do lists). I'll probably add PC stuff too at some point so it is all out in the clear (though the PC side seems flooded with a lot of tutorials.)

Don't know what is available for linux, but I'm sure something could be made (not by me!).
compacho
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by compacho »

Man, I finally got the chance to play with this emu and I must say I'm feeling dumbfounded. Its better than I thought. Many games run ALMOST near perfect speed but with sound issues. It brought a tear to my eye playing Sonic 2 on my TV again.
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by The OK Pope »

For those of you looking to play fullspeed games, Vectorman and Sonic 1 both seem to work flawlessly with sound disabled.
Also wanted to point out something odd, when holding down and spinning in Sonic 2, the animation seems to appear fine. But when doing the same in Sonic 3, the exact same animation seems to be choppy and scrambled-blocky. Just thought that was interesting.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

All games run fullspeed :!: - except ZeroWing.
Insane homebrew collector.
mogorman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mogorman »

hey I love everything you have done so far, all my games run at full speed, with sound. It is so awesome. and now my one request when you guys do do the menu system why not just use scherzo's, if he permits. It is such a pretty menu, esp his new one nester dc se. yeah so, um keep up the amazing work. thanks matt
-------------------------------------------------
some say the glass is half full
some say the glass is half empty
I say thank god they gave me a glass
Luriden
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Luriden »

Well, I'm sure we can come up with more features once the actual emulation is better. No respect to scherzo, but I think that SF should be focused more on the emulation itself rather than having the coolest GUI ever for an emulator.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

The OK Pope wrote:Also wanted to point out something odd, when holding down and spinning in Sonic 2, the animation seems to appear fine. But when doing the same in Sonic 3, the exact same animation seems to be choppy and scrambled-blocky. Just thought that was interesting.
When Sonic 3 was made, they completely replaced all of the sprites and animations to make Sonic look a little bit cooler and a little bit meaner, so it is infacct a completely different animation ;).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Kenichi wrote:Well, I'm sure we can come up with more features once the actual emulation is better. No respect to scherzo, but I think that SF should be focused more on the emulation itself rather than having the coolest GUI ever for an emulator.
Um both can be done and they really don't have much to do with each other. Making a great gui isn't going take away from the emulation.
DCCase
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by DCCase »

This emulator is excellent, great job in getting this up and running! :D

So far I tested out Cool Spot, Sonic 2 and 3, and Flashback, they all work great with minor sound and graphic glitches.
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

I've heard the speed of this emulator described in numerous ways, so can I just ask one question? When you're playing one of the more compatible games with this emulator - for instance, the original Sonic game - just how close to full speed is it? I mean, does it only take 60 seconds for the counter at the top of the screen to go foward 60 seconds, or does it take longer?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
doragasu
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by doragasu »

I gave up trying this with my coders cable, so I scrambled the file and self booted it to a CD and I'm really impressed. All games I tried that are working, are working fullspeed with sound (including some CPU intensive games like Gunstar Heroes), and when you enable sound, most games are near to fullspeed (but Gunstar Heroes slows down a lot).

I don't know why release 3 doesn't work with the coders cable (release 1 worked great). Maybe it's the same reason that makes it doesn't work with Dream Inducer.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

az_bont wrote:I've heard the speed of this emulator described in numerous ways, so can I just ask one question? When you're playing one of the more compatible games with this emulator - for instance, the original Sonic game - just how close to full speed is it? I mean, does it only take 60 seconds for the counter at the top of the screen to go foward 60 seconds, or does it take longer?
All the games are pretty much fullspeed.
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

doragasu wrote:I don't know why release 3 doesn't work with the coders cable (release 1 worked great). Maybe it's the same reason that makes it doesn't work with Dream Inducer.
Just for clarification it will work via DreamInducer but not using serial transfer for whatever reason.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

I've heard the speed of this emulator described in numerous ways, so can I just ask one question? When you're playing one of the more compatible games with this emulator - for instance, the original Sonic game - just how close to full speed is it? I mean, does it only take 60 seconds for the counter at the top of the screen to go foward 60 seconds, or does it take longer?
uh, counters aren't this emulator's best area...there are a lot of strange bugs with things that count.

that said...it's very good.