Genesis Plus preview

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by speud »

it's better than the illegal rip - which i swear i haven't tried
how would you know its better if you didnt try it honnestly :roll: seriously you should stop mentionning it, if you want to know how good genesis plus is atm just try it, no need to compare it with illegal rips.
as for the buttons config you will probably be able to change that in the real menu.

id say just enjoy the preview and keep your requests/compatibility list for the "official" release.
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by abydos1000 »

Even though the audio gets out of sync, it's much better than the Smash Pack (yes, I do know what the real one sounded like...made me want to wail in agony).

I assume VMU saving is further down the pipeline.

Great progress guys!

btw, the new sbi burnerO posted works.
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

Storminator16 wrote:I have yet to ever use an .sbi of anything. This is why I don't like .sbi's; I think it confuses the clueless even more.:D
Ouch... a cheap shot.

As long as the archives uploaded are actually tested, the sbi format generally works without a hitch.
jtnewman wrote:btw, the new sbi burnerO posted works.
Glad to hear that, I'll nix the rest of them to avoid confusion.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Self boot ini is great I just haven't got around to try it yet. I can load multiple emulators and stuff with it right? that sounds awesome, i just haven't try using it so i'm a little scared that it will be hard to learn at first
Stupid Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Stupid Newbie »

Greetings, eager to try this bad boy out but have failed to burn the disc properly several times.

Just downloaded Nero 5, and would like to make sure what menu type should be selected in Selfboot.

Also, does that have to be indicated again after extraction and placing the roms, when creating the burning file?

Many many thanks in advance.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

burnerO wrote:
Storminator16 wrote:I have yet to ever use an .sbi of anything. This is why I don't like .sbi's; I think it confuses the clueless even more.:D
As long as the archives uploaded are actually tested, the sbi format generally works without a hitch.
Ouch - now that's a cheap shot. :|

I did test the SBI. It worked fine with sbi2boot. Curt pointed out that there was a hyphen in the file name - that's why it worked with sbi2boot and not Dream Inducer.
Last edited by MetaFox on Fri Jun 25, 2004 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

Stupid Newbie wrote:Greetings, eager to try this bad boy out but have failed to burn the disc properly several times.
Rehashed tutorial, but:

Download and install Selfboot Inducer v4
http://consolevision.com/members/sbiffy ... bindv4.exe

Run Sbi.reg inside the Sbi directory to prevent the .sbi.zip nonsense when downloading.

Download and save Genplus3_bO.sbi from the Emus section of Sbiffy
http://consolevision.com/members/sbiffy/files/

Load Selfboot Inducer and select Genplus3_bO.sbi from the right column.

Change the Menu Type to Sbi2boot, click the barcode icon to extract and answer Yes.

Add your roms to Inducer\Genesis.

Click the appropriate icon to generate a selfbooting image.
burnerO
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by burnerO »

MetaFox wrote:Ouch - now that's a cheap shot. :|
Erm, that wasn't directed at you. *Pats Metafox on his head* :wink:

Wh16 was ragging on the sbi format and I felt the need to defend it.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

burnerO wrote:

Heh - 'tis ok. I've just been defensive lately.

He does bring up a good point though. As great as the sbi format is, the way some sites handle it (DCHomebrew, Consolevision) makes it somewhat noob unfriendly. It's basically - here's the SBI - and the site expects you to know what to do with it. Consolevision is more of a culprit here, as DCHomebrew at least points to a Selfboot Inducer tutorial if you click on Selfboot Inducer on the downoad pages.

Also, the people begging for plain files shows that people don't understand that all SBIs are are renamed ZIP files with an unscrambled bin inside. All you have to do is scramble the binary and you're ready for booting in what ever method you like (though with Selfboot Inducer v4 and the sbi2boot feature, the only reason not to use your program is if you're on Mac, Linux, or BeOS ;))

I'm sure people aren't aware of the new features in Selfboot Inducer v4 yet, and are reluctant to ditch their old methods of booting. We need to get the word out somehow. :mrgreen:
olax
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by olax »

Great Release - great to see those old genesis/megadrive games running so well.

Only slight disapointment for me (and yes I know you are not programming this for me :) ) was the Sensible Soccer refused to start saying that is was designed only for a European Console. Used to love that game - still one of the greatest soccer games for any platform.

Be great if this worked on a future release.

Thanks for all your hard work thus far - much appreciated
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Only slight disapointment for me (and yes I know you are not programming this for me ) was the Sensible Soccer refused to start saying that is was designed only for a European Console. Used to love that game - still one of the greatest soccer games for any platform.
The region lockout is a bit wonky. The problem is that the cartridge contains a list of regions it'll run in, and the emulator chooses one of those. If the cartridge only lists Europe as a region, then it'll work. If the cartridge lists all regions, but has additional region lockout, it won't work. Sensible Soccer does this, as does MegaMan, and probably a few others. I need to work out a way around that.
DcSteve
Modder Of Rage
Modder Of Rage

Post by DcSteve »

i remember that ips patches were specificially made for megaman and goldenaxe 3 to fix the country lockout for those games. I cant find any working progz that do that type of thing, but i think knowing how to make patches like those may be useful...
Check out the beats of rage community at http://borrevolution.vg-network.com/
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

No need. It's simpler to just modify the emulator to deal with it properly. I could just revert to the older region system, which worked (almost) better, except some games showed up in Japanese and others showed up in English. I think I can fix that though.
Mask of Destiny
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Mask of Destiny »

BlackAura wrote:
Only slight disapointment for me (and yes I know you are not programming this for me ) was the Sensible Soccer refused to start saying that is was designed only for a European Console. Used to love that game - still one of the greatest soccer games for any platform.
The region lockout is a bit wonky. The problem is that the cartridge contains a list of regions it'll run in, and the emulator chooses one of those. If the cartridge only lists Europe as a region, then it'll work. If the cartridge lists all regions, but has additional region lockout, it won't work. Sensible Soccer does this, as does MegaMan, and probably a few others. I need to work out a way around that.
I suppose the simplest solution would be to allow the user to overide the country setting. I can't think of any other way, other than to hardcode certain games to use a specific region.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Yeah, that might be best. On the games that did use region locks, the older system worked a bit better, but still wasn't quite right.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Hm, why not let the user choose country settings? - some want to play games in Japanese version, other want to play US or EU versions / games.
Would that be a possibility?
Standart setting should be US though.

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

MetaFox wrote:
burnerO wrote:

Heh - 'tis ok. I've just been defensive lately.

He does bring up a good point though. As great as the sbi format is, the way some sites handle it (DCHomebrew, Consolevision) makes it somewhat noob unfriendly. It's basically - here's the SBI - and the site expects you to know what to do with it. Consolevision is more of a culprit here, as DCHomebrew at least points to a Selfboot Inducer tutorial if you click on Selfboot Inducer on the downoad pages.

Also, the people begging for plain files shows that people don't understand that all SBIs are are renamed ZIP files with an unscrambled bin inside. All you have to do is scramble the binary and you're ready for booting in what ever method you like (though with Selfboot Inducer v4 and the sbi2boot feature, the only reason not to use your program is if you're on Mac, Linux, or BeOS ;))

I'm sure people aren't aware of the new features in Selfboot Inducer v4 yet, and are reluctant to ditch their old methods of booting. We need to get the word out somehow. :mrgreen:
I'm trying my damnedest to get the word out. :lol:

Actually - the whole "tested" SBI thing is a big reason why I still keep some SBI's on DCStuff, instead of uploading them to Sbiffy! Some SBI's I created months ago still haven't been tested (a few MAME emus for which I don't have roms, and never will) and most of my new SBI's don't go up to the Sbiffy! site until at least a few people report that they work. I always put big disclaimers on my site letting people know that the SBI's are untested, and that they should let us know if they try them out.

Anyway - back on topic. I'm going to be gone for the weekend, but I am eagerly anticipating the chance to try this bad boy out when I get home on Sunday evening.

Thanks again to BlackAura for all of his hardwork. Thanks to everyone else involved, too.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

I think the easiest way for the region problem would be to use the current region system, but to override the region for certain games and to specify the region it should run on.

I honestly dont know why sbi's arent sort of a semi standard now. I have never had problems with getting them to work (well only BoR, but that was a while ago). Perhaps its not easy for newcommers to get into, or to even understand at first. Maybe on the SBI homepage it should be immediatly explained in clear text exaclty what it is for, I think its easier to get something working if at first you understand exactly what its for or supposed to do.

Nice work so far!
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Ok another very strange bug this involves "Arch Rivals" it is immpossible to make a shot in the game, every shot misses no matter what, forever.
Ian Micheal
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Ian Micheal »

I think it's the same timming bug. Im sure stef will fix it . then both neogeo and GP will be more playable.

I could not release a new version with the timer bug to my project it has a lot impact when you can play lot of the big name games like Kof 94 to 99.
Dreamcast forever!!!