ljsdcdev Project L (aka, yabause-dc)

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
abydos1000
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by abydos1000 »

Best of luck to you. Hopefully one day I'll be able to head over to ebay and pick up some Saturn classics and have them playable on the Dreamcast.

)()(
mogorman
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by mogorman »

and they said it couldnt be done...
-------------------------------------------------
some say the glass is half full
some say the glass is half empty
I say thank god they gave me a glass
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

mogorman wrote:and they said it couldnt be done...
lol that same statement sounds familar :lol: ....
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
DCmad
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by DCmad »

the last happenings on this scene in 2004 prove that arguements like "even my atlonXP +3000 with GeForce 6 can't run it..." or "the dreamcast can't even run a descent snes emu at fullspeed..." or "can't be done!" are bad things to say. speed and power of a system do not prove it cannot run on dreamcast. GPF, Ian Micheal, BlueCrab and many others are doing the pseudo-impossible.
i'm very anxious, even if it can't pass the cd player screen, wich i remember were better than my mini-system lcd back in the day, years better than DC cd player.
Wsttrollboy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Wsttrollboy »

Within the last few seconds I have spread this to a couple message boards. Expect to become famous overnight! Sorry for stealing the whole "they said it could never be done thing" I didnt even read that when I typed out the posts.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Many congrats to BlueCrab but it sounds like many are jumping the gun. While this is emulating the Saturn on the dc, it is just barely. Been reading around and some people are blowing it out of proportion like you can actually play games on it. While I hope it does get that far, I do wish Crabby to put in some of the protection detection schemes sega planted into the saturn discs that have angered many a people with scratched disks.
A few fries short of a happy meal.
sappel
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by sappel »

When I say it wont work, I mean that I expect that games wont play on a decent playable speed, but hell everything is possible, a Jaguar emulator is also possible, ofcourse, but it wil only reech speeds between 0,00001 and 0,00002 FPS, but this is still very cool :D keep up the great work

DCmad, being positve is not bad, but you also need to be a bit realistic.
that the DC got a halve compatible chip doesn't mean it can easely beat a 2Ghz PC.
and speed was not the only issue I was talking about, compatiblity is an even bigger problem, just tell me how many saturn games work on a emulator without crashing or other crap? well I still haven't found a game in my saturn collection that worked 100%

thats why I don't mind if the emu is 1FPS, I just would like to see it work :)
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

ooo you sure are a sly one. discussing it with me in that other topic while actually working on it. Good job. I actually tried this when i first got into this stuff (like...january?) but i had no clue what i was doing lol.

oo i get to use this first i think? :kiss) hehe.

just in case it wasnt clear this is all to bluecrab.
Last edited by Quzar on Fri Jun 18, 2004 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
Wsttrollboy
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Wsttrollboy »

I doubt it will ever run commercial game but that doesnt mean we cant get excited )()(
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Yeah, it doesn't run anything yet. (No controls in my code base, so it can't do much other than show that image). And, its very, very slow... It takes a good 30sec-1 minute to bring that screen up (after it loads the bios). I do expect it to improve though. Plus the emulator's author is fully behind me on this.

As APE said, people are blowing it a bit out of proportion.
InsaneDavid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by InsaneDavid »

BlueCrab wrote:Yeah, it doesn't run anything yet. (No controls in my code base, so it can't do much other than show that image). And, its very, very slow... It takes a good 30sec-1 minute to bring that screen up (after it loads the bios). I do expect it to improve though. Plus the emulator's author is fully behind me on this.

As APE said, people are blowing it a bit out of proportion.
Still very impressive! I mean, you gotta reach the shore before you can step onto land.
...controller hasn't killed me yet.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Yeah, without SHx asm for the VDPs there'll be not much happening with commercial games - damn so great news :kiss)

I guess the end of the year we'll see the first game runnin' at 10 fps )()(

Whish you all the best and please MetaFox and BlueCrab, work together as much as possible - we'll all help try to help you in any way we can I guess

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
Mikey242
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Mikey242 »

Very impressive Blue, I hope you manage to pull this off. Just wondering what your expectations are for this emulator? Thinking of eventually going open source?

Best of luck
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Mikey242: It'll always be open source after (and including) the first release, as the emulator I ported it from is GPL'ed. So not releasing the source would be kinda illegal.

Anyway, I'm having a bit of trouble with one particular piece of code right now. (Its working as long as the binary is run under dcload, but put it on a cdr, and it doesn't work). Still trying to figure out what's going on there... As soon as I fix that, there will be an initial release, just so everyone can see the program for themselves.
ninja
DCEmu's own ninja
DCEmu's own ninja

Post by ninja »

that is awesome bluecrab, very nice work so far. but to be honest, even having the bios boot up and (im assuming) being able to use the cd-player portion is more than worth it, since it is emulating it as we speak. i have seen this on a few other forums as well, and i must agree, its being blown out of proportion at this point in time, but none the less, awesome job so far.
Delete my posting account.

Thanks.
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

You can't run the cd player yet (No controls).
BlueCrab
The Crabby Overlord
The Crabby Overlord

Post by BlueCrab »

Okay, the binaries and source are now up on my site. I'd be greatful if people could mirror them (please mirror both), because I expect my server to get quite a big hit of bandwidth downloading these soon....
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

Needless to say, it is slow. Took probably 2-3mn for the little yellow arrows to pop up for me. Fjear the JCPenny and IBM speaker set with the kenwood amp!

After a reset it picked up the data from the dc, PST of course. Still waiting to see how far I can get it.

NOTE: These are all with the v1 US bios.
Last edited by APE on Sat Jun 19, 2004 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

BlueCrab wrote:Okay, the binaries and source are now up on my site. I'd be greatful if people could mirror them (please mirror both), because I expect my server to get quite a big hit of bandwidth downloading these soon....
Mirrored at Consolevision:

http://www.consolevision.com/dreamcast/emus/saturn/

SBI and SRC are available. We're moving away from the Binary/SBI structure of the past and to SBI/Source instead since Selfboot Inducer now is an all purpose application. :)

SBI is also available at Sbiffy.
APE
Newsposter
Newsposter

Post by APE »

JAP and US bios' load fine. Couldn't get EURO to load at all.