Broken XBOX, Whats my best bet?

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Broken XBOX, Whats my best bet?

Post by DCFan2004 »

Well my first XBOX that i got when the system first came out finnally crapped out today :evil: . Its a thompson drive which already makes it suck and have damaged disc or dirty error all the time, but now it doenst read any discs. Does this sound like a laser pot problem? On xbox-scene.com i found some repair guides but what makes more sense, do it myself or send it into microsoft and have em deal with it? I know this isn't a XBOX forum or anything but i thought some of you guys might be able to help me out.
Agent21KGB
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Agent21KGB »

Well from what i heard MS charges a shit load. Esentially all your are doing is turning 2 screws to up the power of the dvd rom drive it takes time and patience but it is easy to do.
egdinger
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by egdinger »

It costs around $100 to send to ms, I would say try adjusting the laser and if that doesn't work go to llamma.com and buy a new xbox drive.
Clarkbar
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Clarkbar »

or mod it and swap the drive???
egdinger
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by egdinger »

You don't have to mod it to swap the cd drives, only the hard drives. I saw at llamma there selling only lasers now so you could swap the laser, I know you'd still have a thompson but the best drive (samsung) are expensive.
Clarkbar
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Clarkbar »

I stand corrected....
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

yeah i think im gonna try to adjust it myself, MS does charge a lot to fix it its $99 plus S/H so if i really screw it up i'll just buy new pieces for it or a new one altogether. I just want to make sure though, this problem might be solved by adjusting the laser pot?
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

http://www.llamma.com/xbox/Repairs/xbox_dvd_repair.htm

As was already said, they sell new drives as a last resort. But there are several other steps you can take before you have to do that.
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
hearld500
DCEmu Ultra Fan
DCEmu Ultra Fan

Post by hearld500 »

Just swap the drive, they're cheap.

Or just get a new one for $149.
egdinger
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by egdinger »

It would most likely be a laser problem thats what goes wrong most often in the thompson's I think, and if the drive is allready duff you can't hurt it more. Clarkbar I just abot where you might be coming from about having to mod the xbox to swap dvd drives, you can put a pc one in there it just won't read originals, and you need a mod chip to do that.
Clarkbar
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Clarkbar »

thats what I was getting at. he pc drive instead of official xbox drive.
pixel
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by pixel »

they go cheap on eBay (DVD drives)
rmbell
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by rmbell »

try cleaning the lens, before adjusting pots.
Old school.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

yea i already tried that, the laser cleaner i have is supposed to automatically bring u to the music section of the system and you're supposed to play the first ten seconds of the track and it should be clean. problem is the laser doesnt even read the disc.
Alexvrb
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by Alexvrb »

If the laser can't even read CDs, and its a Thompson, just try adjusting the pot. You've got nothing to lose. Just follow the guide, I think the screw needs to be turned the opposite direction of the DC pot to increase power. They said not to go below 800 though I think, if you have a multimeter. The laser would probably burn out relatively quick, but in the meantime it could even damage discs!
If you have twenty monkeys,
banging randomly on typewriters,
they will in twenty minutes produce the complete source code to World of Warcraft.
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

yeah i found a couple of guides on how to adjust the pot. one on http://www.xbox-scene.com and one on http://www.llamma.com so maybe in the next few days ill attempt to fix it. its not that big a deal to me cause its my bros xbox, and i have one of the halo edition ones, but i thought id try to help him fix it before he buys a new one.
rmbell
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by rmbell »

try using an air duster, give it a good blast of air, then take a Q-Tip with some rubbing alcohol on it, and rub the lens down. then try that, if all else fails, adjust the pots.
Old school.
riva16
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by riva16 »

Your best bet is to just sell it to me for $10... :) I can get a broken XBox for $15 like I got a broken PS2 for... I just pulled the motherboard, and swapped it with the broken one... BOOM! PS2 back up and running... My goal is to buy 2 broken X Box' (same model mind you), and hope i can swap till one works... For $30, i could have an X Box... $30 more, I could have a controller and a game... sweet...
Why doesn't HTML work anymore on this damn forum!? God!
DCFan2004
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by DCFan2004 »

the guy who runs llamma.com buys broken ones for 50 bux a piece so if anytrhing id sell it to him first. however, my intentions are to repair ir and most likely mod it just because its already half broken so what do i have to loose.
SuperMegatron
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by SuperMegatron »

I got a old xbox drive I am willing to trade or something let me know if you want it