Fullspeed xBox Emulation

General purpose discussion about gaming and emulation.
lantus
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by lantus »

Skynet wrote:
btw, can someone explain the specifics of the xbox game dvd's? are they anything special or just normal dvd's?
I read somewhere that the number of characters on the dvd is limited. To what number, I can't remember. And apparently (this is just what I've read) they have some sort of protection to stop them from being put directly into a DVD drive. Apparently, again lol, the only program that can copy a Xb DVD is called DVD Wizard Pro. Which you can buy or... :twisted: Also, there is no trial of this software, only purchasing it or other means :twisted:
no, thats the FATX file system which is limited to 42 character filenames. DVD's dont have any such limitation.

And there are certain firmware hacks that can be acquired to read xbox dvd's on certain pc dvd-rom drives...but ill shutup now..... ;)
xSnes9x - Snes9x for Xbox Consoles
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

Is it just a different file system on the DVD (FATX instead of ISO9660 or UDF), or is the disc itself written in some weird way that PC drives can't read?
lantus
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by lantus »

Quall: the gamedisc isnt signed with a key. Its the executable(xbe's) which are signed.

the DVD itself is simply UDF format. Its not written in any wierd way or any other silly rumors you may have heard.

However there is also protection on the DVD to stop them from being read on pc dvd-rom drives. If you try reading one, on most drives an AVI will play saying the disc is only readable on an Xbox. If you manage to bypass this, the disc is open for reading. And as mentioned its already been done with some firmware hacks floating around
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

If you manage to bypass this, the disc is open for reading. And as mentioned its already been done with some firmware hacks floating around
I've read about those hacks on another forum. Is there a website with a bunch of those hacks for different brand DVD drives? Feel free to PM me if you like :D

Or is it a matter of searching through hundreds of pages to find it?
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

In fact, the newer versions of Nero have a setting to force a compatibility mode so that they will work on an Xbox - and it actually says that's what it's for :).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

In fact, the newer versions of Nero have a setting to force a compatibility mode so that they will work on an Xbox - and it actually says that's what it's for
Is that burning with Nero to get the disc to work on the Xbox? That's pretty cool.

I wouldn't mind getting a hold of those hacks lantus mentioned :twisted:
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

az_bont wrote:In fact, the newer versions of Nero have a setting to force a compatibility mode so that they will work on an Xbox - and it actually says that's what it's for :).

are you talking about bitsetting?

b/c thats what i have to do. i only have a dvd+r/rw burner and the sammy drives dont read that media. so i got the hacked firmware for my burner and a prog that allows you to change the bitsetting for different media.

like dvd+r, you can have it burn so it will be recognized as a dvd rom, dvd ram, dvd-r, and whatever other format there is.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

No, this is something different - it's to do with the UDF format.

Although I'm curious about that bit-setting. I've got a first-generation Toshiba DVD player that's got a cracking picture, but can only accept DVD+R/Ws in "Compatibility Mode" according to certain websites. I found the setting in burnatonce, but I don't really want to go through all the steps that will allow it to burn DVD+Rs.

I've got an NEC 1300A if that helps any. Is there a website or somewhere where I can go?
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
MKE
DCEmu Super Fan
DCEmu Super Fan

Post by MKE »

For the hacked firmware, go here

http://www.herrie.org/modules.php?name= ... cid=30#cat

(the first one is the one i would use, but read through the release notes and you may find something different)

and for the flashing prog. go here

http://etna.rpc1.org/nec/

and for the prog to change the booktype,

http://www.dvdinfopro.com/

on the 2nd page i gave you, at the bottom it tells you what the switches are (and you dont have to put it on a bootdisk, i just booted to dos, browsed to the folder, and did it from there)

hope that helps, and MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR ORIG. FIRMWARE!.

i just did that to my nec1100a drive (only i used the hp300 firmware) and it works great, and hope that hleps and when you do that, you dont have to do it again, it stays until you change it.
XBOX live gamertag: MKEmods
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Quall
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Quall »

firmware hacks? xbox-scene mustn't even know about them. I know about the samsung drive firmware hack, but it is a modification of the original xbox samsung firmware, which only allows you to upgrade to a better samsing dvd drive, which won't work in a PC.

Im think I am going to look into this.

lantus, I am also curious. I know the xbox can read udf burns, and can be re-read in a PC because of it. But I was always under the impression that the xiso gdf iso format was just not able to be read by a pc, similar to what BlackAura said in his post. This is somewhat confusing though. When an xISO is created, all it is is basically stacking a protection on a UDF format, like a mixed mode burn?
lantus
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by lantus »

its not very well known, but it IS known. Xbox-Scene arent the be-all-end-all of knowledge ;) Theres a few things floating around the scene that arent talked about. This is one, the other revolves around getting on Xbox Live with a mod chip. I really dont know too much about this but ive heard rumors from multiple reliable sources that its possible. The reason that the information is not "released to public" is that MS would patch their servers the next day so it's kept hush hush.

Back onto DVD ripping - I know its a taboo subject, but all the xbox "warez groups" use firmware hacks. Its a lot faster ripping a game than relying on FTP from your xbox , especially if a game contains > 4000 files for example its much much faster.

The protection is the central issue here. Yeah the disc is mixed mode. This makes sense because an AVI plays if you load your disc on a PC, but its nowhere to be found on your xbox - only data track.

finally - in the early days when i was working on xSnes9x, lots of people (me included) used mkisofs with UDF to burn images. They worked 100% fine and as you mentioned you could browse the disc and view the files fine on a pc.
Quall
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Quall »

That is quite interesting, thanks for the info. I'll shut up now about it though, I don't want this topic to close because of the way it is turning.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

Most people (over 60%) actually have the stinky GeForce 4 MX 440 with 64MB of DDR RAM.That's a really bad card compared to the amazing GeForce FX 5600.
Even a dirt-cheap Radeon 9100 beats the hell of a GF 4 MX 440 and eats up the graphics card found in the XBOX (GeForce 3 Ti 500,which is much better than that crappy GF 4 MX) :)
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

...but even that stinky GF4 MX 440 can run games amazingly fast in OpenGL mode,like Call Of Duty,for example.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

Can you give me a link where I can download the drivers for the XBOX "S" pad to work on my PC? And also instructions to mod the Joypad to plug in a PC USB port? I want to use an XBOX controller to play various emus on my PC (MAME,Snes9x,PJ64...),and I can't afford to buy an adapter for a PSX pad or buy a PC USB Logitech Dual Analog gamepad.
nakamichi
DCEmu Super Poster
DCEmu Super Poster

Post by nakamichi »

tutorial and screenshots,please
Hawq
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Hawq »

The tut will give you the basic info that follows:
Join up like colour wires the one thats left over (yellow I think) is used for the mem cards and isnt important to this mod. You can if carefull have a regular usb connecter hangin out and still have the pad for use on the xbox if needed.
I'd have to hunt out a url for drivers though, got it in a mag somewhere
The Prisoner - Makes NGE's ending look almost intelligible.
theres no-one else to blame

Bored? figure out where the above lines from. Answers
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

wow a quadruple post...
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man