theoretically possible

Discuss modifications you have done or plan to do to your Dreamcast or any other hardware, or discuss devices you want to build. If your console does not work or is acting up, ask about fixing it in here.
Fatboy11
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

theoretically possible

Post by Fatboy11 »

i was wondering , inside a nokia data cable there is a signal level converter , that basically does the same thing as a coders cable , now i have a coders cable already but i love trying weird stuff like this , plus i realy wantd to build a cooders cable and was told maplin had that chip and they said they never have :cry: :cry:
i have another idea that would use 4 transistors instead but before i do any of this i am gonna get another dreamcast that is faulty but the mobo is ok (there seem to be a lot of them round ere!) and make some sort of Internal standard serial port
i just wondered has anyone tried anything like this (very unlikley but ..) or know anything about the internals of a nokia data cable.

It has 4 pins of witch i know 3 of them can be used TX RX Gnd .. and another one MBUS i think thats just a fancy name for CTS but hey i may be way off ... i am really tired so please excuse the long post and intermitant incoherant rambling.
Tursi
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Tursi »

The Nokia F-BUS cable and the Dreamcast Coders Cable are pretty much the same thing - an RS232 cable with a 3-volt converter. I'm not sure about M-BUS, at the time I had come to believe it was slightly different but I never examined why.

I can tell you that "MBUS" itself is not a fancy name for "CTS". Not sure what diagram you're looking at, though. ;)

I built both using the reference MAX233 circuit, which is a *five* volt part - not dead on but it works well enough and is much easier to come by than the 3v part.

Nokia: http://www.harmlesslion.com/stuff/text/NokiaData233.htm
Dreamcast: http://www.harmlesslion.com/stuff/text/ ... tCable.htm
Fatboy11
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Fatboy11 »

thanks for the infomation.

i will look into this immediatley :wink:

EDIT:looked at the docs , but the nokia side of things is not the original cable , does anyone know what that little chip is on the original 5110 data cable is , because my eyes are realy bad and i dont have a magnifying glass , and any info on the pinout of that chip would also be appriecated

or better still , the Schematics for the cable , but that is gonna be real unlightley. but i got all night and am gonna look now. even if it is about as lightley as getting the cuircit diagram for a PS1 :lol:
Fatboy11
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Fatboy11 »

couldent find anything , but i will just get a max233 like you suggested , there more common thanx tursi