this is about the smash pack, but it might be appropriate.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

this is about the smash pack, but it might be appropriate.

Post by ethoscapade »

i know, i know, no discussions is allowed, but i've been thinking, and i've really got to ask...

ian, blackaura, and anybody else who is currently working on a genesis project: have any of you so much as looked at the source code of the smashpack (and is it even in a comprehendable format)?

i know we don't allow modifying it or using it in any way, and i'm not about to ask that, but with all the difficulty that seems to be involved with fullspeed genesis emulator, i have to wonder if we're missing out on some enormous, key step, due to - dare i say - ignorance?

forgive me if i'm overstepping my boundaries; i usually am. but in my (extremely limited) history as a programmer, nothing has helped me more when i'm stuck than looking at other people's similar code and thinking of some way to implement their ideas into mine.

and that goes without being said, i think.
speud
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by speud »

releasing an emulator based on the smash pack's source (assuming it would be "available" somewhere) would be the same as releasing it in its warez form.
plus genesis plus is supposed to have improvements over the smash pack in terms of compatibility and sound.
http://blueswirl.fr.st - DC Online Tools and Downloads

thx to Wack0 for the avatar ;)
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by The OK Pope »

Question:
What if a few developers looked at the Smash Pack source code, then found someone who had never seen the code, and assisted them, hinting at ways to code a Genesis emulator? Much like the reverse-engineering techniques used by early PC makers?
emptythought
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by emptythought »

Don't you think you're using your imagination a bit much? Do you really think the source code to the Smash Pack will ever be released?
Warmachine
DCEmu Veteran
DCEmu Veteran

Post by Warmachine »

I dont think anyone would even look at the Smash Pack source code because it is illegal, not on the web, and just because.
:headbang: Dreamcast :headbang:
The OK Pope
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by The OK Pope »

Well, the Bleemcast Blue Beta source code is up for download. It's not out of the question that the Smash Pack source is out there somewhere.
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

The source code is NOT up for download -- it's a disassembly of garbage that someone thinks is source code.

Rand.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Either way, iirc, the smash pack is only a genesis simulator not a genesis emulator. (as opposed to replicating the inner workings to get the same output as the real machine, it does whatever it wants to get the output of the real machine)
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

It's an emulator of the genesis infact it was released on pc named kgen, smashpack is a port of kgen. I think only the sound was faked as i have read some on the forums say. Anyways we can discuss the smashpack but not the hack of it. The video emulation in the smashpack is great but it's too bad they sound was so bad. Sega shoulda waited to release it tell the sound was better.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

It was never released on PC - It has Japanese coders credtied. I've not seen that much Genesis emulators for PC, but none of them was Japanese...
KGen98 by Steve Snake was the source for that Win32 emulator u could download at SEGA website not long ago, don't know if you still can...

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster

Post by law56ker »

Ok now i just read some more. the pc smashpack was based of kgen, but the dreamcast smashpack was not. No wonder the sound sucked, shame on sega.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

KGen98 had a fantastic sound :D

...like Genecyst or now Gens too!

Chris
Insane homebrew collector.
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

Rand Linden wrote:The source code is NOT up for download -- it's a disassembly of garbage that someone thinks is source code.

Rand.

dude trade you for the ultrahle src code pm me lol kthx bye
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

Heliophobe wrote:
Rand Linden wrote:The source code is NOT up for download -- it's a disassembly of garbage that someone thinks is source code.

Rand.

dude trade you for the ultrahle src code pm me lol kthx bye
:guffaw:

Good to see Heliophobe back on the boards
Hobbes T Tiger
Mental DCEmu
Mental DCEmu

Post by Hobbes T Tiger »

Woah... SEGA had a Win32 emulator download?

Actually haven't I heard that before? You were meant to dump your own roms though, right?
Sega of Japan wrote:Offline - No confusion! No Boring! No Silence!
Online - No Loneliness! No Typing!
Heliophobe
Smeg Creator
Smeg Creator

Post by Heliophobe »

Hobbes T Tiger wrote:Woah... SEGA had a Win32 emulator download?

Actually haven't I heard that before? You were meant to dump your own roms though, right?
There were two PC based Genesis emulator packages from Sega that I was aware of.

One was a commercial release of the Sega Smash Pack, which had emulated versions of several Genesis games. This was based on KGen, unlike the dreamcast version.

The other was part of RealArcade, where you could pay $9.95 or so to download and play Genesis games. I don't know what this was running on, might have been KGen as well.

Neither would let you run it with your own ROMs (not that I know of anyway).
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

The newer RealArcade emulator is Gens.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
Rand Linden
bleemcast! Creator
bleemcast! Creator

Post by Rand Linden »

Heliophobe wrote:dude trade you for the ultrahle src code pm me lol kthx bye
Actually, the source that's "out" for bleemcast is even worse that the disassembly of UltraHLE -- the b!DC "code" is literally garbage because it wasn't even decrypted when the disassembly was done, so it truly is just garbage.

Rand.