Sonic the Hedgehog 4: A Work In Process

Talk about anything and everything not related to this site or the Dreamcast, such as news stories, political discussion, or anything else. If there's not a forum for it, it belongs in here. Also, be warned that personal insults, threats, and spamming will not be tolerated.
RDRR
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Sonic the Hedgehog 4: A Work In Process

Post by RDRR »

I've wanted to make a Genesis Sonic game forever now, probably since I was 10. I have the game virtually finished (maps/bosses/design/menus) on paper, but I only know a bit of C++ and Java. I don't care how long it will take me to make this game, but I want it to happen. I have played Sonic Time Attacked and other such fan-games and personally, if that's the best that could come out of this project, I just won't make the game. I think I understand what Sonic should be and I believe this game will reflect it; post '95 is just crap as far as Sonic is concerned. I need you guys to tell me how I can go about making this game Genesis quality and above and what tools I'd have to use so I can start the coding. Also, how do I make professional looking sprites? Is there a program for this or am I stuck with MS Paint? The main point here is that I want to make Sonic the Hedgehog 4, not some inferior fan game where the speed and jumping are complete crap. Please help, I'd love to do this...it'd be a life accomplishment if I could.
RDRR
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by RDRR »

Please don't let my rank here discourage you from responding. I'm dead passionate about making this project happen and maybe it'll be a couple of months before I learn how to program using the appropriate hardware, but rest assured, this will happen before I die. )()(
Neopunk
DCEmu Uncool Newbie
DCEmu Uncool Newbie

Post by Neopunk »

Ditch Paint, buy Photoshop. I don't know how much it is but it's way better than paint :|
RDRR
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by RDRR »

Neopunk wrote:Ditch Paint, buy Photoshop. I don't know how much it is but it's way better than paint :|
Did the Genesis programmers import sprites from independent graphic programs into the Genesis hardware or make them directly through the Genesis?
Tursi
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Tursi »

Photoshop is very expensive.

However, Photoshop Elements has all the features that anyone except top-end artists are going to use, and is typically under $100. Definately worth a look if you're going legit.
RDRR
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by RDRR »

What's the best MIDI program I can get? I only know of TabIt; hopefully there's better out there...?
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

This is probably not the answer you're expecting, but have you considered ROM hacking? You would have a game that maintained the exact physics of the Sonic universe, but your game would be an almost completely different experience. You can edit character sprites, backgrounds, music and completely chop up level designs with easy-to-use tools supported by a fairly active community. Well, it was active once...

That said, you wouldn't be able to do anything about the end of level bosses. But aside from that, it's a pretty good way to go about it. A much simpler way, too, especially as nothing of this scope has ever been attempted on the Sega Genesis. In fact, I don't think I've even played a single PC Sonic fan game that has played like the originals.

However you go about this, I wish you the best of luck with your project. Whilst I was able to tolerate Sonic Advance, it is no substitute for the good old-fashioned Mega Drive titles I was raised on. And the less said about Sonic Advance 2 and 3 the better :|.
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!
RDRR
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by RDRR »

az_bont wrote:This is probably not the answer you're expecting, but have you considered ROM hacking? You would have a game that maintained the exact physics of the Sonic universe, but your game would be an almost completely different experience. You can edit character sprites, backgrounds, music and completely chop up level designs with easy-to-use tools supported by a fairly active community. Well, it was active once...

That said, you wouldn't be able to do anything about the end of level bosses. But aside from that, it's a pretty good way to go about it. A much simpler way, too, especially as nothing of this scope has ever been attempted on the Sega Genesis. In fact, I don't think I've even played a single PC Sonic fan game that has played like the originals.

However you go about this, I wish you the best of luck with your project. Whilst I was able to tolerate Sonic Advance, it is no substitute for the good old-fashioned Mega Drive titles I was raised on. And the less said about Sonic Advance 2 and 3 the better :|.
I thought about hacking, but bosses are all too important to simply sacrifice. There are also levels that, in design, were never attempted on a Sonic game before. The more I think about it, the more I debate with myself whether it is it even possible to get the BIOS for the Genesis and learn how to program Sonic 4 for it...
Krut
DC Respected Artist
DC Respected Artist

Post by Krut »

Get promotion or Graphic Gale , its like 20 bucks , you wont need more for a pixel art game.
Promotion is the industry standar by the way...
Capcom vs. Snk ? meh!
RDRR
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by RDRR »

Krut wrote:Get promotion or Graphic Gale , its like 20 bucks , you wont need more for a pixel art game.
Promotion is the industry standar by the way...
Awesome, thanks!
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

look into using tUME. it is what was used in many games of the time and possibly could be used to recreate the game.

edit: you might get some help offers by posting in the development or programming forums.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

However you go about this, I wish you the best of luck with your project. Whilst I was able to tolerate Sonic Advance, it is no substitute for the good old-fashioned Mega Drive titles I was raised on.
Well said. Is it just me.. or do others feel a sense of price when thinking about the classic Sonic game we all know, love and as mentioned were raised upon.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming