Zelda DC in progress!!!

Talk about Quake, Doom, Wolfenstein 3D, or other DC first person shooting game ports and mods for those games in here.
Slamoid
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Zelda DC in progress!!!

Post by Slamoid »

That's right! Me (Slamoid), Myself (Slamoid), and Eye (Slamoid) :wink: are working on a Zelda game, using the QuakeDC engine! Scince I never looked at the QuakeDev forum till I got it to work, I figured the best way to let people know would be to post here. Now, there's STILL a few things I need, so if anyone can help, it would be greatly appreceated!!

As it is now, I have very little done (Bar some graphic work, still working on the Shield), but the full thing will be a FULL GAME, not some cheesy half-mod. I'm talking a full Total Conversion! I'm changing everything, including the Menues and Loading Screens. Hope to get done as soon as possible so I CAN PLAY IT TOO!! :lol:

Like I said, I still need some things... To take a look at the list, go here: http://www.dcemulation.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7697!

I'll post some more news there as I make it! :)

P.S. to mods: When do I get my Avatar? :twisted:
If a packet hits a pocket on a socket on a port, than the packet pocket socket has an error to report.
Red_Slash
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Red_Slash »

:!: :!: :!: nice! Please work as fast as possible, wanna play Zelda (i love it...) :!: :!: :!:
Slash
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Bah. I'd rather play the original Zelda via Nester (or the cartridge, I do own it of course). But then, same can be said for Zelda 64, Majora's Mask, Link's Awakening, a Link to the Past and the other two GB Zelda games. I'm strange that way. 8)

Good luck with the mod, you sound like you know what you're doing.
regulator10886
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by regulator10886 »

i bet this is gonna be a great game cause EVERYONE loves zelda... it doesnt matter who you are... you just love it

well good luck
(and good job in advance)
"Will it ever make sense? Somebody's gotta know." -Sonny P.O.D.
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

I bought about two weeks ago Zelda 2 for NES, gray cartridge, good condition, still haven't played it though as I would have to hook up my dreamcast down here.

Sounds like a good idea, just make sure you get the feel of the 64 version heh.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
reptilezero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by reptilezero »

...do you know quakec? ok, just making sure :) hehe. it's good that you're trying to make a mod, but how are you going to create npcs? you'll have to code all their movement and everything pretty much from scratch. i've been messing around with the quake engine on and off since about 96, and it's a lot of fun :) good luck with your project and put up some screen shots when you get the chance!

btw: go to http://www.quakesrc.org for help! they helped me out with 24bit texture loading for my game/mod, and there's a lot of nice tutorials!
archduke
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by archduke »

hmm i think someone already made a mod... try searching planetquake
|darc|
DCEmu Webmaster
DCEmu Webmaster

Post by |darc| »

HyperG wrote:I bought about two weeks ago Zelda 2 for NES, gray cartridge, good condition, still haven't played it though as I would have to hook up my dreamcast down here.
Oh Jeez... that game sucks, sorry... I have it :o

Anyways, a zelda mod would kick ass. best of luck to you!
It's thinking...
HyperG
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by HyperG »

@|darc| : yeah i know its the so called "sucky one", i'm still looking for the first one.
If you think typing 'make' is hard, forget coding.
If you can't figure out the commands to DC-Tool, forget coding.
If you think coding is as easy as typing printf("Hello World\n"); , shoot yourself.
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

emmmmmmmmm...........
im very sceptical about this project
TheDumbAss
QuakeDev Mod
QuakeDev Mod

Post by TheDumbAss »

JuddWack... though I am a bit skeptical if it will ever be polished to the state he hopes... I do not doubt that he is working on it. Quake is a very easy engine to work with as long as you understand and stay within its limits. It could very easily do a top down or third person adventure like the 2d or 3d zeldas.

Heres a thread with some screenshots of an RPG in the works that will run on Quake and QuakeDC.
http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7857

The programing language for quake mods is little more than a simplified version of C. Personally I dont know C... but I can code in QuakeC with little problem... because its so simple. (but not as simple as Basic)

Some of the things he'd want to implement could be nicked out of the source for other mods. Some stuff would have to be coded from scratch... If he shows that he is serious about this he can get coding help over at http://inside3d.com

The two main roadblocks I see are... maps and models.

maps are actually easy to make and use... but making a really good map can be hard. If he's doing a top down (2d style) zelda then the maps could be simplified since you wouldnt see the sides of much. Third person would need more detail and a bit of creativity. Something to watch for with both is that the engine doesnt like huge open spaces. Large maps dont work too well eather.

Models... I know nothing about modeling (wish I did) except that the good modeling software is very expensive. There may be some models that he could nic from other mods. (or convert from Quake2 mods as well) There are a few (Link, triforce, many of the monsters, etc ) that would have to be done from scratch...
My old Sig was broken. Enter the new Sig!
JuddWack
DCEmu Mega Poster
DCEmu Mega Poster

Post by JuddWack »

I dont doubt he is working on it at all. But im sure it would be very easy to take a series of games, such as zelda, who has been consistantly good and even better that the previous, and make a horrable game with a horrable storyline. i think i would rather just have a new homebrew game out without the zelda name
Dreamcastin2k2
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by Dreamcastin2k2 »

this sounds really awesome, lemme get this straight to use mods of Quake do you have to have quakeDC is the mod standalone?, sorry if it is a stupid question...
never too late