the genesis emulator

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
mykel
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

the genesis emulator

Post by mykel »

does anyone know how to make the genesis emulator run good? :? for that matter..which roms work with it :idea: ? i can't get too many to work :evil: , and they work quite :mrgreen: crappily...any suggestions or am i stuck playing these on my computer. thanks. :o
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover
Location: Lubbock, Texas, United States, Sol 3, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by butters »

You will probably not find any help using the phrase "the Genesis emulator" because we think you may be using Segagen. If you are using DCGen, just have some patience and Atani will eventually release the new version he is working on :D
Oz
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by Oz »

There has only been one public release of DCGen, and its still very early in its development. The only advice I can offer is do not use full screen mode.

On the flipside there is a new release of Kega (Genesis/SegaCD/GG/SMS emu for the PC) and it rocks!!!

http://www.eidolons-inn.de/kega/download.html
mykel
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by mykel »

thanks guys. i'll keep my eyes open. :o and yes i was talking about dcgen. i wasn't specific because i thought there was only one. :oops: my bad.. :twisted:
perry
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy
Tha DCEmu Pimp Daddy

Post by perry »

Yea, the SegaGen is illegal as it is a rip of The Sega Smash Pack which is a commercial Genesis emulator released by Sega. I myself am patiently awaiting the new DCGen, till that day comes I am going in the chryogenic freezer, someone wake me when there's a new version plz.
In the words of Q-Tip : Looking for vibes or positivity, not negativity / 'Cause we gotta strive for longevity by online gaming
Lyris
Respected Artist
Respected Artist

Post by Lyris »

Yea, the SegaGen is illegal as it is a rip of The Sega Smash Pack which is a commercial Genesis emulator released by Sega.
Yeah and hopefully DCGen's sounds gonna be a bit better...
reptilezero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by reptilezero »

it's only illegal if you don't own the smash pack. i personally view it as a backup. :P get the smash pack for 9 bucks at software etc.
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

Hah. I've got a legal version of SegaGen then. :lol:
sirkakkarot
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by sirkakkarot »

Does Sega seriously care if people use SEGAGEN (oh my god, I think I said a bad word!)???
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

reptilezero wrote:it's only illegal if you don't own the smash pack. i personally view it as a backup. :P get the smash pack for 9 bucks at software etc.
Umm, backups are illegal too if they are not on the same media (ex-->CD to CD is a legal backup whereas GD to CD is illegal)
sirkakkarot wrote:Does Sega seriously care if people use SEGAGEN (oh my god, I think I said a bad word!)???
Since they went through the time and effort to ask this site to remove Segagen, one has to assume that Sega does care about it. On top of that, it is the same as talking about warez because it can only be extracted from a ripped game.
reptilezero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by reptilezero »

hehe, well the truth is, I really don't care :) i'm not really the type to say any pirating is worse than the other. if you're stealing software, you're stealing software, regardless of whether you consider it a backup, or just something for free. i was only trying to justify the use of the smash pack emulator to those people who actually gave the money to sega in the first place to play genesis games on their dreamcast. we all know we've got our 100s of roms just waiting to be used with DCGEN and that's JUST as bad as pirating a hacked loader for the smash pack :) don't deny it, cause we all know it's true :) and if you're not pirating genesis games, then you're pirating NES, or SNES, SMS, arcade games or leaked Quake ports, and everything else. the dreamcast is dead, but for some odd reason people won't let it die....oh wait, that's right; they won't let it die because it lets them play games for free. we can go round and round, but the truth of the matter is, 99% of the people in this forum are pirating software. whether it's roms, mp3s, or full version isos of photoshop, i doubt there's anyone that isn't using their internet connection to pirate copyrighted material...and the one's that aren't pirating? they just haven't figured out how to do it yet.
TheBouncer
DCEmu Junior
DCEmu Junior

Post by TheBouncer »

Very well put :)
yves31
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

Damn right...

Post by yves31 »

I have to agree 100% to that.

I think a lot of hypocrisie is going around........Just because we're not talking about it, does'nt mean we're better..........

Human nature I suppose......

The real story, if I remember well, about the removing of SegaGen on this site was not because of Sega. The decision was made by the owner because lots of people we're asking him to remove it from the site. (Ref. 8 may 2001 news)

So it was just a matter of looking elsewhere to get it......(this is ridiculous...).
Last edited by yves31 on Wed Mar 27, 2002 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
HoRnEyDvL
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by HoRnEyDvL »

Well done I totaly agree But at the same time dissagree Hacking the dreamcast was illigal Then making emulators for it is ilegal because all the other company that made the roms /games are loosing money on a console that was not intentional 2 play there games if the wanted any console 2 play any games released they might as well made 1 But on the other hand If it wasnot for dreamcast emulation the dreamcast would be officialy dead like comodore 64 atari ect But All the consoles are still been kept alive as for a group of ppl making emulators for those console to be ran on the sega dreamcast. Now People that are complaining about sega smash pack been illigal blah blah well then its illigal But if u dont belive in that go ahead burn it do what ever u want but dont disrtibute it. They say That sega Gen is a rip From Sega Smash Pack Well then what is Quake isnot that A rip ??? what about all the dvx movies & all those mp3s people burn 2 listen on dreamcast do u thing the get rid of them after 24hours? I dont think so are you people going to tell me that u dont have anything illigal on your computer? You going to tell me u havent used anything pirated at all? I doubt it that Sega didnot know that dreamcast had be hacked Ofcource they new they also probaly knew that games were been ripped & that eventualy Sega Smash Pack Would be to. Segas Dream is been kept alive coz Of all these ppl Creating emus, hombrew games & software for Dreamcast thus Everything is illigal but in a way is legal as well.
Lifes A Bitch So Fuck It
Lartrak
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Lartrak »

"Umm, backups are illegal too if they are not on the same media (ex-->CD to CD is a legal backup whereas GD to CD is illegal) "

Why is that? I backed up a couple of old Disney VHS tapes onto VCD.. that would be ILLEGAL? Why? I find this hard to believe. Can you quote a law saying backing something up in a different format is not legal?
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Re: .

Post by butters »

Lartrak wrote:"Umm, backups are illegal too if they are not on the same media (ex-->CD to CD is a legal backup whereas GD to CD is illegal) "

Why is that? I backed up a couple of old Disney VHS tapes onto VCD.. that would be ILLEGAL? Why? I find this hard to believe. Can you quote a law saying backing something up in a different format is not legal?
That is something I have seen on these forums somewhere, but I think it only pertains to copying software. I stated that to stop him from thinking that way, b/c you cannot use your backup regardless. It is legal to have a backup if is only used for storage , I know that for sure b/c I have looked at parts of the U.S. copyright law. I'm not absolutely sure about it though, and I think I am going to look through some of the copyright laws. I have yet to look through the DMCA.[/i]
reptilezero
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by reptilezero »

i actually had to give a lecture on creating back ups and how the DMCA affected the rights of the user for a class. it used to be fairly straightforward, but the DMCA has royally screwed it all up. fortunately the only people REALLY affected by it are those who make copies and distrubute them as a business. the rest of us really don't have to worry about it, since we aren't the ones the laws are aimed at.
Liamthetigger
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by Liamthetigger »

so, what specific website/link would i avoid if i did not want to be downloading segagen ??

LiAm
butters
Classic Games Lover
Classic Games Lover

Post by butters »

Liamthetigger wrote:so, what specific website/link would i avoid if i did not want to be downloading segagen ??

LiAm
http://www.google.com
Zelchia
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Post by Zelchia »

well said reptilezero, but applying truth and common sense to an emulation community is like trying to fight a tank with a toothpick, ive tried and its useless. The truth part not the tank.....