atari 5200 questions.

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
ty
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

atari 5200 questions.

Post by ty »

hello. i have just downloaded the new modified version of the atari 5200 emu and i have a few questions for anyone who can help me out.

1.what do the atari 5200 bios file that go in the roms dir be named.
2.does the emu have sound.
3.can the games be played without keyboard.
4.i've got many rom files in bin format for the roms folder but what files go in the disk folder.

any help would be great.
cheers.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Re: atari 5200 questions.

Post by pavelbure »

ty wrote:hello. i have just downloaded the new modified version of the atari 5200 emu and i have a few questions for anyone who can help me out.

1.what do the atari 5200 bios file that go in the roms dir be named.
2.does the emu have sound.
3.can the games be played without keyboard.
4.i've got many rom files in bin format for the roms folder but what files go in the disk folder.

any help would be great.
cheers.
1. 5200.bin
2. yes
3. not yet as far as i know. ver. .2 is out but havent tried yet.
4. nothing
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
FFXI Server: Gilgamesh
FFXIV Server: Figaro
Liberals click here !!!!
ty
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ty »

thanks for the reply. pity that a dc keyboard is needed to play 5200 games i thought the 5200 was a game console like the 2600 therefore keyboard should not be needed to run games for 5200 emulation. if this is the case maybe the author could change the 5200 support part of the emu so that the games will run without keyboard. nice to see in the news here that 2nd button support has now been added.
another question how should i name the roms. 8.3 or can the emu handle long file names like. river_raid.bin as with stella dc and nester dc.
cheers.
unisprise
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

first video game system

Post by unisprise »

this was my... (excuse me getting all choked up) first video game system
oh the memories!
the atari 5200 had a keypad as well as a joystick and button
i.e. the numbers 0-9 were used as start and other functions in games
therefore the keyboard will be necessary to start some games, or to use some games unless a virtual keypad (ltrigger +direction?) is implemented
ty
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ty »

that would be cool like on the colecovision emu. better than getting a dc keyboard anyway.
cheers.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

i have contacted the author about implementing the numberpad, and like many, the 5200 was my first system also, so im trying to help as much as possible. the keypad, for those who may not know, was basically another set of buttons to choose skill levels and players and such. only one game i know of so far that absolutely needs it is countermeasure, which by the way is my avatar and one of the best 5200 games, it also needed the second fire button. most games should be playable, i will update the list soon. it would be hard though to implement the keypad for a dc controller, maybe just the essentials, like start, pause, and reset. remember, this thing had more buttons than a ps2 controller.
How many more people do the Radical Islamic Subhuman Cockroaches have to kill before people realize they need to be taken out ?
Liberals click here !!!!
ty
DCEmu Freak
DCEmu Freak

Post by ty »

unisprise posted that it had 0-9 buttons thats same as the coecovision keypad and dcolem gets around it great. lots of options for the author to go about this. holding r then pressing dir pad a,b,x,y gives you eight and another eight by holding l and dir pad a,b,x,y. thats 16 more than enough. i just hope the author has the time and the will to implement this type feature for people without dc keyboards.
cheers.
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

it 0-9 plus it had the *and # keys. plus it had a start pause reset button.

Liberals click here !!!!
pavelbure
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by pavelbure »

good news. when i got off work tonight i went to go pick up some cdr's (thanks to wal mart being open at midnight) so i got the new version of the 5200 emulator to work. the second fire button is nice, i will have to update the games list now. you can now start games using the b button now. you can pick it up here

http://www.angelfire.com/80s/videogames/
read skyhawks burning tutorial here:

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7566

just make sure you put all your rom images and the 5200 bios in the roms folder. or it wont work. i will not provide these. you can read my tutorial on how this whole thing works here:

http://www.dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7669

i have not updated this last post at all yet so ignore anything that is old like how to start games and such.

ok it is updated now.
Last edited by pavelbure on Thu Mar 28, 2002 6:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Liberals click here !!!!
Captain Skyhawk
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Captain Skyhawk »

ty wrote:another question how should i name the roms. 8.3 or can the emu handle long file names like. river_raid.bin as with stella dc and nester dc
That is handled quite nice. When you have a long filename it is displayed in the rom selection and cut off at the end. But when you select it, you will see the full lenght name (without underscores) at the bottom of the screen.
Visit the DC Help for all the Dreamcast homebrew help you need!
Go to DC Evolution, for the best ready to burn images
yves31
DCEmu Crazy Poster
DCEmu Crazy Poster

???

Post by yves31 »

Still need a keyboard I suppose ???

I heard that there is an adapter which allow you to connect a pc keyboard to the dreamcast...Is it true ???? and a wiring diagram could be possible...

I'm not cheap....I can't find the damn thing... :|