homebrew games?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
dn852k4
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

homebrew games?

Post by dn852k4 »

what kinda of software would be needed to make games from scratch to the quality of dc graphics? we talking about professional game devolopers here or just anyone with a computer and the right software? i can understand how pirate games kille doff the dc but what harm can they do now? there are no new games being produced as far as i know?
Viktor
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by Viktor »

The most importent thing is skill. The technical programs you need to make a DC game are free, Gimp for textures, Maya free version for none comercial use for 3D models, emacs for coding, kos for dreamcast functionality, gcc for compiling the code.

But as I started with, the hard part is the skill, everything else is easy.

/Viktor
Skynet
DCEmu T-800
DCEmu T-800

Post by Skynet »

i can understand how pirate games kille doff the dc but what harm can they do now?
That's still an iffy topic, and definately isn't tolerated here ;)

As for making homebrew games, if you can't code. Then don't bother :lol:

However, check out the BoR Forum and maybe you can make yourself a nifty mod. It's not coding from scratch, but it is personalizing the game to the graphics you want :D
Live gamertag: SKYNET211

Steam gamertag: SkynetT800
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

nice to see new ppl here interested in DC coding!

PS

I don`t know if I told that b4, but there were several reasons for DC to get dying:

sony (bleemcast, metalgear and ps2 + ps1compatibilty)
MS (WinCE inside the DC, shenmue2us & upcoming xbox)
+ sega (advertisement)

and I am not shure if the ability to get games copied isn`t needed to become a bestseller system - look xbox, psx/2 and then saturn, n64, gamecube

ALL the ppl I know have brought like at least! 10 or more games for their DC within one year - that is a huge number of games compared to ppl buying xbox or similar just buying two games at all...

And DC sold ten million units within just two years, Saturn sold the same wihtin five years or N64 within four...

thinkin of my audio cassettes (tapes)... or vhs recorded stuff I own and I?ve never paid for...

But yes, copies are ILLEGAL!

just a bad argument to say, DC wasn`t successful because it
1. was successful!
2. PSXBOX2 still IS successful

But anyway: KEEP THIS PAGE & THE SCENE LEGAL
Insane homebrew collector.
dn852k4
DCEmu Cool Newbie
DCEmu Cool Newbie

Post by dn852k4 »

why was winCE a reason for the downfall of the dc? seems a decnt little system the dreamcast, shame people waited for the ps2 to be released and not bought dc systems instead.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

Beside the (necessary?) abiltiy to port PC stuff easily to DC, WinCE in my opinion was a good thing to get decisions Sega's managment had to made in a way Microsoft wanted:
Like "if you don`t agree with not releasing ShenMue2 in the US even if it would be a million seller and stop production of the DC and advertisement for it you`ll have to pay more license fee for WinCE (or the very few games using it) and will not be allowed to produce games for our forthcoming ps2 killer xbox!" :wink:

Dunno, that`s just in my opinion...

In fact it doesn`t really matter because it`s the past - back to topic - look here`s the present :D

it`s the homebrew scene that keeps the DC alive and probably will so at least for the next three to five years!

the stuff that we have right now is really great - I cannot imagine what will be produced in the future by even much more expierienced DC programers :o
Insane homebrew collector.
impetus
Team Screamcast
Team Screamcast

Post by impetus »

Viktor wrote: Maya free version for none comercial use for 3D models
is there any wasy around the watermark on the Maya PLE? (I don't think there is). Milkshape 3D is probably a better option than the free version of Maya.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Last i heard Milkshape was dead... then again that was 2 years ago.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man
greay
DCEmu Ultra Poster
DCEmu Ultra Poster

Post by greay »

C'mon, what about Blender?
I'm a lone wolf looking for trouble.
Quzar
Dream Coder
Dream Coder

Post by Quzar »

Christuserloeser wrote:Beside the (necessary?) abiltiy to port PC stuff easily to DC, WinCE in my opinion was a good thing to get decisions Sega's managment had to made in a way Microsoft wanted:
Like "if you don`t agree with not releasing ShenMue2 in the US even if it would be a million seller and stop production of the DC and advertisement for it you`ll have to pay more license fee for WinCE (or the very few games using it) and will not be allowed to produce games for our forthcoming ps2 killer xbox!" :wink:

Dunno, that`s just in my opinion...

In fact it doesn`t really matter because it`s the past - back to topic - look here`s the present :D

it`s the homebrew scene that keeps the DC alive and probably will so at least for the next three to five years!

the stuff that we have right now is really great - I cannot imagine what will be produced in the future by even much more expierienced DC programers :o
That thing about WinCE isnt true at all. Sega barely used the WinCE stuff, and there wernt any new licesncees for Microsoft to turn away as a blackmail to Sega.
"When you post fewer lines of text than your signature, consider not posting at all." - A Wise Man