Playing japanese games on english dreamcast

Discussion of topics related to licensed games, software hacking/modification, prototypes, and development kits belongs here. Includes topics related to emulating the Dreamcast console on your computer or on another gaming console. Discussion of Reicast should go in the Official Reicast Forum.
Barton
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Playing japanese games on english dreamcast

Post by Barton »

Hi everyone i have looked every where and i cannot find any answers. I bought a japanese dreamcast just after they were released and it melted something in it around 2 years ago, so we went out and bought an australian one. Now the problem is i have 8 japanese games that dont work on it. Can someone please tell me what i can do to get it to play them. I thought you can get like a boot disk to play them but i cant find that anywhere. Any help would be much appreciated..
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

Yes you do need a boot disc, I think this site no longers hosts it as its now considered warez, but you need the utopia boot disc. I can't give a link as that is breaking the rules but you should be able to find it fairly easily
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Don't waste your time with the Utopia go straight for this:

http://www.lik-sang.com/info.php?catego ... ts_id=1099&
aced411
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by aced411 »

Utopia works on most imports, but for the rest Action Replay should work. Both can be easily located on a search engine. Still, one of the commercial discs would probably work more reliably.
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Barton »

thanks for the suggestions. I will look at both the options shown to me. But is there a free boot disc that will work as i do still have both dreamcast machines i am not pirating or doing anything wrong. I would still use the japanese one but something melted inside it.
arcticfeather
DCEmu Nutter
DCEmu Nutter

Post by arcticfeather »

As it's a PAL Dreamcast you'll need DC-X really, as Uptopia boots at 50hz which will mess things up seeing as it's meant to be running at 60hz

DC-X allows you to choose to boot in 50hz or 60hz which means the games will run as they are meant to