Furious Music -- Official Feet of Fury Swap Disc

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
nz17
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Been thanked: 0

Furious Music -- Official Feet of Fury Swap Disc

Post by nz17 »

Hello Everyone

My name is Sean Robinson and I'm head of Nz17 Productions. My organization was thinking of releasing some official swap CDs for the commercial homebrew game Feet of Fury. Thing is, before we move forward with production, I want to guage the loyal Dreamcast fans' reaction first.

These compilations, planned to be a total of four, would include a number of new tracks for play with the Feet of Fury game. Each release would feature either 15 tracks at $9.95 or 8 tracks at $4.95, depending on whether you all think we should go with a higher priced volume or cheaper with less music.

Every compilation would focus on one to three different yet complimentary music styles, such as punk, new age, classical, rock, jazz, and swing.

What I would like to know is, how many of you would be interested in such a thing, and how many of you would be willing to order it, and which price and track combination you'd prefer (i.e. 15@$9.95 or 8@$4.95). I welcome any requests for genres, but please, no group or musician requests.
law56ker
DCEmu Cool Poster
DCEmu Cool Poster
Has thanked: 0

Post by law56ker »

Hmm sounds cool, too bad not many people have responded here.
nz17
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Sad News

Post by nz17 »

Preempted below.
Unfortunately it seems that there is little to no real interest in an official FoF swap disc at this time. Though I am sure there are a number of you still interested, it seems that there is not enough gamers curious about this given the reaction from various homebrew-friendly sites. Thus we at Nz17 Productions must announce the dissolving of Furious Music.

I'd like to thank everyone that expressed interest in our potential product.
Last edited by nz17 on Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Re: Sad News

Post by MetaFox »

nz17 wrote:Unfortunately it seems that there is little to no real interest in an official FoF swap disc at this time. Though I am sure there are a number of you still interested, it seems that there is not enough gamers curious about this given the reaction from various homebrew-friendly sites. Thus we at Nz17 Productions must announce the dissolving of Furious Music.

I'd like to thank everyone that expressed interest in our potential product.
Hold on before you cancel your plans. 2 days is not enough to gauge interest.

A single random topic on a message board isn't enough either. As I know from experience, you need advertising. Hold on, and I'll make a post here, on DCHomebrew, and at Consolevision, and tell everyone to post their comments in this thread.

Give it at least a week, then decide. I know I'd be interested in a series of FOF Swap Discs, and I know many other people will too.

I'd buy either or both of the 15 tracks at $9.95 or 8 tracks at $4.95, rock or jazz genres preferably - but I'd buy from any genre, just to support the Dreamcast commercial development community.
Last edited by MetaFox on Sun Apr 25, 2004 1:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
BlackAura
DC Developer
DC Developer

Post by BlackAura »

I only saw this topic two hours ago and, were it not for law56ker bumping it, I wouldn't have seen it at all.
nz17
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Front Page News

Post by nz17 »

Thanks to MetaFox "Furious Music" is making front page news at a number of emulation and homebrew spots. As a courtesy to him and people barely finding out about FM I will extend our market testing for two more weeks. If enough interest is shown by May 2nd, we'll go forward with our production plans and begin on preproduction. However, if not enough people become aware and/or interested in this project by then, we'll simply let it fade into the sunset.

Furthermore, for those interested in what Dan Potter and "Feet of Fury" followers think of this compilation series, check out http://www.cagames.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=402 for the original thread about "Furious Music."
jonse
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by jonse »

Sounds like a good idea :D
Mc Pee Pants doesn't just want candy now, that's childish. He needs it. And when you need something that's a responsibility.... that only an adult.....of my maturity..................bunnies!
Nyarlathotep
Soul Sold for DCEmu
Soul Sold for DCEmu

Post by Nyarlathotep »

I don't know what kind of numbers you're expecting for sales, and I don't know the actual sales figures for Feet of Fury, but I was under the impression from things various people have stated that the production run for Feet of Fury was less than 5,000 copies, and only around half of those were actually sold.

If I'm wrong about that please feel free to correct me, I don't want to understate the achievement of Feet of Fury as a commercial homebrew console game, but I think realistically your maximum potential sales of a swap CD will be numbering in the low hundreds... and that number will probably be split again doing multiple CDs in various musical styles / genres :dontknow:
curt_grymala
Theme Inducer
Theme Inducer

Post by curt_grymala »

I think this sounds like a cool idea, but I certainly wouldn't do this to make money. On a project like that, you would be lucky to break even.

Also, if you're going to call them "Official" FoF discs, you really ought to talk to Dan, or somebody else from CA before doing it.
DCHelp - A Newbie's Best Friend
DC Evolution - Disc Images
DreamZone Forums

I Refuse To Help Anyone That Says They've Tried Everything.
Joestar
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by Joestar »

curt wrote:Also, if you're going to call them "Official" FoF discs, you really ought to talk to Dan, or somebody else from CA before doing it.
nz17 wrote:Furthermore, for those interested in what Dan Potter and "Feet of Fury" followers think of this compilation series, check out http://www.cagames.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=402 for the original thread about "Furious Music."
and my opinion on this? as with the posts above me i don't think it will sell loads, but is a good idea and a good addition to the homebrew scene.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

will they...uh...work with the demo version?
Nico0020
DCEmu User with No Life
DCEmu User with No Life

Post by Nico0020 »

Just saw the post. Love the idea. I would buy em for 15.
*The Cadillac of signatures*
Odity
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie

Post by Odity »

Nice idea with the Swap disc ;)
I have a few thoughts about it, cause i create a lot of Swap-Discs for myself, with sound that i like. (EBM, Wave etc)
I think 15 Tracks for 10 Bucks on one disc is not the best thing. So maybe think of one big sampler with all tracks, and make the disc a little bit more expensiv. Like 4 sets with 15 songs each, on one CD for 15 US Dollars is ok. Or take 20 Bucks, but i think it doesn?t make any sense to be more expensive with an Add-On CD then the Final Feet of Fury CD...
On the other hand, be compatible with both versions the Beta and the Final, it will increase your group of people who wants to buy this CD. (Use Rockridge extension in your CDs, and test it!!)
Don?t forget a good balanced Level of the songs from "1 Footers" to "9 Footers", then the beginners and the experts will use this CD.
And don?t create unfair steps. Let the steps harmonate with the song. (e.g. don?t create a 9 Footer on a song with 90bps, it doesn?t make any sense) It will be the worst case if a flood of steps comes uncoordinatet on the screen only to higher the Level and make things harder.
So good luck!
Bye
MetaFox
Adventure Gamer
Adventure Gamer

Post by MetaFox »

curt_grymala wrote:I think this sounds like a cool idea, but I certainly wouldn't do this to make money. On a project like that, you would be lucky to break even.

Also, if you're going to call them "Official" FoF discs, you really ought to talk to Dan, or somebody else from CA before doing it.
He has - read the original post at CAGames which he linked to above: http://www.cagames.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=402

This could in fact turn a profit, albeit a small one - if it was done on the cheap in low amounts. I definately wouldn't press more than 500 discs per compilation. A slipsleeve would be alright for this kind of project, but if you want to go the jewelcase direction, I'd suggest you do what I am doing for Chikugoyaku - buy used games with uncracked cases, take the cases, clean them, and sell the leftover game to a flea market or eBay.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

i have like 40 unused jewel cases lying around, in case you want them.

not sure how we'd handle shipping (i'm not paying it all), but if you want these they are yours.
The Kron
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by The Kron »

Sounds good, If you can put out a high enough quality product there will be interest :)
goatdan
DCEmu Respected
DCEmu Respected

Post by goatdan »

I guess that I'll throw my two cents in here first and then make another post on the CA Boards...

As many people know, I've got two Dreamcast games in production right now and I'm losing my mind planning the Midwest Gaming Classic, so I apologize about not dropping in any input before this point. If anyone ever wants to hear from me with my ideas on a topic, please email me or PM me and I'll be happy to clear some time to write something up :) Otherwise, until May 24th, I really don't have any time to do much of anything...

So anywho, about the idea -- I think that it would be a great idea, however I would *NOT* suggest going the full-blown pressing methods that we use. I would suggest investing in a nice CD labeler and a CD burner if you don't already have one and going that route. Mass CD replication doesn't come cheap, and usually you need to get at least 1000 of the same items pressed. While Feet of Fury has sold very well, we have not yet sold out. If we were to sell out, you would still need to have one out of every five people that purchased the game find out about the swap CDs and purchase them. Because the advertising for Feet of Fury reached a lot of people that weren't directly connected to the Dreamcast community or the GOAT Store, I don't think that you would be able to sell more than a few hundred of each. While that isn't bad by any means, it isn't the greatest and if you're pressing CDs, it isn't going to get you near breaking even.

You also need to think about how many songs will go on each disk. Feet of Fury had about 25 songs plus the original game in a package that is availalbe for $14.90. If you release a swap CD, I would suggest doing either 25 songs for $9.90 or 15 for $4.90 or something along those lines. If you were to go with smaller numbers, you probably wouldn't get interest beyond the most hardcore Feet of Fury players.

Anywho, it doesn't sound like a bad idea to me at all, and I would definitely like to carry some in the future if it happens :)
nz17
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Casings

Post by nz17 »

MetaFox wrote:A slipsleeve would be alright for this kind of project, but if you want to go the jewelcase direction, I'd suggest you do what I am doing for Chikugoyaku - buy used games with uncracked cases, take the cases, clean them, and sell the leftover game to a flea market or eBay.
I appreciate the advice. However, I think that your suggestion is taking the long route of things. I would think for Chikugoyaku -- which I will be buying upon release; what does the name mean and how do you pronounce it anyway: chee-ku-go-ya-ku? -- you should just go to a store and buy a pack of jewel cases. I mean, for $15 you can get at least a pack of thirty CD-R's with jewel cases included for free.
nz17
DCEmu Fast Newbie
DCEmu Fast Newbie

Cases

Post by nz17 »

ethoscapade wrote:i have like 40 unused jewel cases lying around, in case you want them.
Though I appreciate your willingness to help, the cost of shipping cases to myself would be more expensive than if I were to buy new ones direct from a local store.
Prophet][
DCEmu Mega Fan
DCEmu Mega Fan

Post by Prophet][ »

well, I woudn't buy it. No offence, great idea. But you couldn't give me a price for the disc plus shipping that would make it worth it. If you have a lot more songs it might be different.