smd to bin converter?

This forum is for discussion pertaining to homebrew and indie software for the Dreamcast, such as homebrew games, emulators/interpreters, and other homebrew software/applications. Porting requests and developmental ideas are not to be made here; you can make those here. If you need any help burning discs for homebrew software, this is the place to ask as well.
fuel925
DCEmu Newbie
DCEmu Newbie
https://www.artistsworkshop.eu/meble-kuchenne-na-wymiar-warszawa-gdzie-zamowic/
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

smd to bin converter?

Post by fuel925 »

I have a bunch of smd files, which need to be converted to bin so they can work in the emulator. I have searched this forum but no luck, also I have searched the web but often the links to converters arent working. I found one converter but it needs to be done at a dos prompt with only one file at a time, and u need to type the filenames each time.. is there a quick way of converting smd files to bin files?

cheers
Digital Chaos
Psychotic DCEmu
Psychotic DCEmu

Post by Digital Chaos »

Well all LEGAL Genesis emulators for the DC can play both smd and bin games. The only one that requires conversion is the naught emulator which we like not to talk about.
ethoscapade
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by ethoscapade »

*looks the other way*

i had a hell of a time trying to find a program for that, and eventually gave up, and got roms from a different source...

i for one certainly don't know what you'd need to convert them for, but hit that AIM button there at the bottom of my post and maybe we will talk.
Christuserloeser

Post by Christuserloeser »

GROM is the prog you'll need
Insane homebrew collector.
DLM
Insane DCEmu
Insane DCEmu

Post by DLM »

http://www.powernet.net/~trzy/files/grom.zip
You've got to use it from a commandline, I cant remember what the exact syntax is though...
Also, after you convert all of your roms, type ren *.smd *.bin just in case there are some valid bin file masquerading as bins
az_bont
Administrator
Administrator

Post by az_bont »

Many Genesis emulators prefer titles to be in BIN format to SMD, and vice versa. Sometimes it can even be game specific, for no apparent reason. Some of the less popular PC emulators required ROMs to be in the BIN format in their earlier versions, as well as some that have now overcome such problems.

That said, I couldn't blame you for being suspicious :).
Sick of sub-par Dreamcast web browsers that fail to impress? Visit Psilocybin Dreams!